Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

current motivation

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have only ridden 3 miles in the last 3 months. At the end of April I was riding to work and was distracted by blossoms blowing off a tree. I caught 1/2 inch of handlebars on a post, and crashed. I shattered my left wrist. It now has a titanium plate, pins and wires in it. It doesn't bend very well.

My motivation for therapy is to be able to ride again at all. As summer progresses I see everyone else out for rides, and it just makes me want to go more. I am trying to be patient, but it is HARD to not be able to ride. Once I can ride again, my mantra will be "pay attention to the road, pay attention to the road, pay attention to the road"

Great discussion...

I sing to myself in my mind. Whatever melody I choose (usually whatever upbeat song I happen to have stuck in my head) but the lyrics are always some version of "I am flying up this hill, just like a feather floating right up, no one can catch me because I'm flying" Silly, but it works.

If I don't feel like singing to myself or I'm feeling particularly aggressive... well, I have a running commentary from Phil and Paul that is very motivating.

christie

wow, sandra that sounds painful. hope you start feeling better so you can bet back to riding

i know this sounds dorky but i kinda talk to my bike. "'come on selene, we can do this, lets go...." what ever works eh?
    do not medel in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup

The crash was painful, as was the news from the surgeon that I probably wouldn't ride for 6 months. He did relent and say I could try some easy rides, but I can't bend my wrist enough to grip the handlebar/brakes very well yet. Physical therapy is a beatiful thing-but I need the motivation to keep working on my own.

My motivation/mantra for going up is is "firm thighs, tight ***, firm thighs, tight ***.....over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by sandra b View Post
    The crash was painful, as was the news from the surgeon that I probably wouldn't ride for 6 months...
    Can you at least do a spin class??

My new mantra is "TTFU"
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Sandra, smooth healing vibes for your wrist.

I know it sounds silly, but I sing a little parody of "This little light of mine" to myself:

This little bleeming (insert appropriate curse word) hill, I'm going to make it mine...You get the idea. Till I get to the top.

Or I start doing the internal coaching - "ok Shubie, you got it made, just a bit further. Keep cranking. Etc."

Great ideas out there!
    It's all about the journey (my reason for riding slower)

For 30 years mine has been:
    "The only way out of this is to go on"

Works for childbirth too!

(having the baby I mean, not being the baby! Obviously I dint think that then as I was a forceps delivery with Mum anesthetised a la cutting edge gynecological practice ie the 1950's

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

Hadn't seen this thread before, it sure gave me a laugh

Up big hills or in bad weather I try to just zone out. Get into some kind of steady rhythm, keep the gears light and the legs moving smoothly. Think as little as possible.

When I need to go fast I'll try to tap into the joy of it, pretend I'm some kind of aggressive speed demon. This is fun but looks kind of weird. And might explain why I don't ride much with other people... ;-)

When I need affirmation is when I'm going to do something scary, not something tiring. Climbing (rock climbing) something scary I tell myself the "There is a time for planning, and a time for doing"-mantra. I plan as much as I can, then I try to just do it.

If I still start freaking out cursing at myself helps. "Coward! What the **** do you think you're doing? You can do it! You're good at this, so what the **** are you thinking of? Just get UP there!!"

Getting scared freezes me up, getting angry gives me energy
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Its all baout the music for me

Glad to know I am not the only one who uses profanity while climbing!

For some inexplicable reason I always sing the John Prine song "Angel from Montgomery" in my head - totally involuntary, just pops in there. I've never stopped when singing it though. Kind of grim and gritty but it works.

Occasionally I sing the first few lines of the Patti Smith song from Horses but I can't remember past the first few lines. Sometimes I try to switch to switch to Blue Moon, but John Prine just pops back in.

Maybe its time for a new song - I actually bought the sound track to Dream Girls thinking I could memorize "I'm not Going" or "Listen"-- will report back if it works.

I love this thread!

Its all about the music for me

Glad to know I am not the only one who uses profanity while climbing!

For some inexplicable reason I always sing the John Prine song "Angel from Montgomery" in my head - totally involuntary, just pops in there. I've never stopped when singing it though. Kind of grim and gritty but it works.

Occasionally I sing the first few lines of the Patti Smith song from Horses but I can't remember past the first few lines. Sometimes I try to switch to switch to Blue Moon, but John Prine just pops back in.

Maybe its time for a new song - I actually bought the sound track to Dream Girls thinking I could memorize "I'm not Going" or "Listen"-- will report back if it works.

I love this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Bklynmom View Post

"I am an old woman..."
    Great song, especially when Bonnie Raitt sings it but not exactly empowering
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I learned this slogan from teaching and use it when I'm tired of riding and need a mental pick me up, simply "focus".

Same song!

Angel from Montgomery starts "I am an old woman, named after my mother...

Wonder if John Prine was a roadie (kind of doubt it!).

I found the lyrics on line:
    http://www.lyricsdepot.com/john-prin...ontgomery.html

I am an optimist in most things, but with music, I do like an edge!

Lisa
    Last edited by Bklynmom; 07-31-2007 at 04:50 PM. Reason: mistake

motiviation

I went for a ride yesterday! I rode the 1.67 miles to my moms-first time on my road bike since the crash. Wasn't happy. But it did motivate me to go get a trainer today. I miss moving, and figure the trainer in front of a fan, with a movie, is better than nothing at all, and it does not require any holding of the handlebars-or I could get into a sprint position with my elbows on the bars instead of hands!

I don't think or mantra or sing on rough spots, I just ride.

I can't chew gum and walk at the same time, either.

But when the going is smooth I do find myself singing, often at the top of my lungs. Either made-up songs or whatever my latest favorite song is. (on my commute yesterday it was "Let my love open the door" by Pete Townshend.)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson