Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I love that story!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Han-grrl,

You just rock! I love that story you posted! I first came upon it about a year and half ago after my cycling coach had died while riding his bike (he was hit by a car). Thanks for posting that...I love getting inspiration from various sources as well

Bear hugs,
    Lisa

My favorite Mantra for going up hills....
    firm thighs, firm thighs, tight *** tight ***, firm thigh........etc.

Wheeler is the god of transportation. I have invoked the great god wheeler to watch over my truck for a road trip a long time ago. Even offered up a wine cooler.

a little late

I know the forum is past this, but this is my first time reading this particular one. What is Reiki? Does anyone have any suggested reading one it? It sounds right up my alley. I am one of those hard on myself, self bashing kind of people when I have a hard ride.....and I think this could really help me.

As far as a personal mantra goes....here is a story I let flash in my head when I come upon an obstacle that I have done in one way....but is presented in such a way on this certain trail that it looks really scary. (Like a drop or really gnarly downhill or something)

A martial arts student and his Sensei were practicing in the school gardens one day. The Sensei laid a board on the ground and had the student walk the length of it. "Sensei," the student remarked after a couple of turns, "this is easy." The Sensei then took the same board and spanned a revien with it. The student looked at the board and quailed in fright, "Sensei, I can't do that!!!!!" The Sensei calmly replied as he set foot on the board, "Same board, different mind."

how true!

mtbstarr:

how true that is! we were all saying one day, how we can probably ride a perfectly (well, near perfect ) straight line, like following a section of road paint line...but put that line 4 feet up...
    eek!

Teaches you to keep your eyes on your own path

affirmations

thank you God

serenity prayer

I think I can (remember the little engine the could)

as God is my witness I will never walk up a hill again (think Scarlet O'Hara)

Too cute Kimberly - tnx. Not only do I remember the Little Engine that Could but I remember how its ends:

I Knew I could, I Knew I could!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Not to be a skunk at the garden party, but...

Not to be a skunk at the garden party or to rain on anyone's parade, but I was just thinking of the previous discussion here about the word "could" LOL. How about: "I did it! I did it!" LOL

Just wanted to get that out there in a loving way I mean this of course very sincerely...I read this quote somewhere, not sure how it goes, but it says our thoughts become our words, our words become our actions and our actions become our destiny...something like that

But, of course, I put a bigger focus in my life on intention versus the actual words...because I truly believe that energy follows intention. So, if I think positively, the outcome will be wonderful and miraculous...I tend to think in images and be quite visual, so I don't feel the need to be limited by the 'correct' words LOL. This is me though, so I know everyone is different

Blessings,
    Lisa

Mantras, etc

This is a great thread, ladies! So many fabulous thoughts and stories and inspirations!!

Here's some cute ones that have gotten me through tight spots and difficult rides:

Carpe Trailem: Sieze the trail

Courage is not the absence of fear, it's riding straight through it

This heat is nothing compared to a sweat lodge!

And my favourite for keeping pumped on a great ride: From the Headstones song "Come On": Right now, it's the only moment that counts, right now, right now, it's the only time I don't doubt, right now, right now...etc

Absolutely true about wording - could, can, will don't quite do it for me: I'm doing it! that's the stuff!

And all the little bits of advice I've had....the one A-frame that I still picture my husband going over in front of me to show me the line....and I nail it everytime, thanks to him!
    ...on a slow, boring, grinding hill - think in circles, pedal in circles
    ...breathe in for 2 pedal strokes, breathe out for 3
    ...on that scary little drop you've done before - just do it! don't think!

Hey, anything that gets you up, over, around or though the tough parts works!

And, yes, it's GREAT to debrief after a ride or a race. If something was wrong in how I rode, that's how I learn to do it better next time. I love that whole take the negative thing and turn it around into a positive that hangrl wrote...I can just see you Grinning with mud and rain all over you! That's sooooooooooo cool!

And there's the quiet encouragement I try to give myself when I'm having a poor ride and can't seem to be coordinated or strong about anything: I feel crappy, but I'm still out here doing it. Good for me!!

Keep smiling, ladies!

namaste,
    ~T~

As you've noticed from my user name, hills are my personal challenge. This year I am attempting to modify my mindset such that they are in a positive light.

So....as I did before I would sing in my head:
    I am a climber, I am a climber.....of the world!
    (Sung to the tune of We Are the Champions)
    Ride your ride.

Talking

I don't hate hills, but they certainly are a major challenge for me too. This is how I get up them.
    In my head I just keep whispering:
    ****, ****, ****, ****, ****,
    I swear. I know it's ridiculous, but it actually works.
    Then if it's a really long hill, I occasionally switch to:
    this is for your butt, this is for your butt, this is for your butt

What can I say, reciting the magna carta just doesn't come to mind when every ounce of energy is put towards the hill and there is absolutely nothing left to even think with.

I see the board automatically edits. Those four stars are the "f" word over and over again.

i think i can?

When i teach my spinning class i tell them Never to think "i think i can..."
    think I KNOW I CAN!! i try to teach them to believe in their abilities and they will have success...

Impact on me

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMitre
    I wouldn't say they're affirmations exactly, but there was a TV show on a few months ago about every day people tackling a Royal Marines training program.

One phrase that got my attention was mentioned just after the guys had done some huge physical challenge involving hiking up hills.

They all arrived back looking dead the the CO told them to

'Suck it in, make it look easy and feel proud/victorious that you've conquered the hill.'

I've been trying to do this when I get to the top of a big climb. Instead of collapsing in a heap I've been trying to pull myself together, give a big smile, as if to say to 'That was easy' and feel proud that I've reached the hill top, rather than feeling like the hill has got the better of me.

I guess I could sum this all up as PMA, but it's certainly been helping me feel more pro-active , rather than feeling I've just been through a punishment.
    This had impact on me in such a positive way! Thank you for posting it. I am around Marines daily and they are so human yet superhuman for the sacrafices. I think I will conquer my next hill with this all in mind.
    Holistic Health Coach and Licensed Massage Therapist
    http://mandalatree.healthcoach.integ...nutrition.com/

Cute

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Slug
    So....as I did before I would sing in my head:
    I am a climber, I am a climber.....of the world!
    (Sung to the tune of We Are the Champions)

LOL...very cute!!!
    Holistic Health Coach and Licensed Massage Therapist
    http://mandalatree.healthcoach.integ...nutrition.com/

Love these inspirations, Ladies - keep 'em coming!

Here's one I used yesterday on myself going up a long hill with a brutal, blustery, gusty headwind and a case of dead legs:

"Kim, you've been through childbirth three times which lasted for hours and hours each with no pain meds....this here hill?...is NOTHIN', Girl!! Just go!!"

The out-loud laugh to myself and the immediate affect on my morale got me through the ride. Funny!

This could be adapted, I'm sure, for the as-yet childless, to suit....

- Kim
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein