Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm with Schnitzle on trying to remember all the tips I read here on TE, but mostly, if I'm going up a hill, it's, "goroxygoroxygoroxygo!"

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

I have a collection of tools to keep me going:

along the lines of Jens, I often say 'Shut up, brain' when it starts telling me to stop.

I study Buddhism and one of the teachings that has stuck in my head is that all things are temporary, and that pain (suffering) is attachment to the idea of wanting things to be other than they are, so I often chant to myself:

'This pain is temporary, this pain is just my ego. I can choose to keep going.'

One of my favorite albums to pump myself up is 'Treats' by Sleigh Bells. They sound like hard core, rockin' cheerleaders with sick crunchy guitars and electro baselines, so I love using the album to pump me up before races. The song 'kids' has a line that I often draw on my forearm to look at when I start wanting to quit or slow down:

'Did you do your best today?'

Its enough to make me think about whether I really do need that break or to drop pace, or if I'm really just wanting to slide back into a comfort zone. Most of the time, its the latter.

Along those lines is a Zen affirmation my meditation teacher has us say at the end of a session. Its a little more intense, but it kicks me in the butt to remember that my time in this body is limited and the time that I will be able to do the things I do (endurance racing) is finite and not to waste the opportunities I was given to race, to improve...etc.:

"Let me respectfully remind you, life and death are of supreme importance. Time swiftly passes by, and opportunity is lost. Each of us should strive to awaken, awaken, take heed....Do not squander your life."

My strength trainer often helps me lift the last few reps of a heavy set and if I look defeated, he yells at me to 'keep going, I'm here! I WILL NOT LET YOU FAIL!!' this also works quite well to chant to myself when climbing hills on the bike.

And if all else fails, I fall back on these two:

"Quitters don't get bacon" (used during a morning race or long training run when I have brunch scheduled afterwards)

"Quitters don't get margaritas" (can be used at will. Also works when I find myself getting lazy about taking public transport and wanting to hail a cab).

PS - great radiolab about the limits of human endurance here.

http://www.radiolab.org/2010/apr/05/

they discuss ironman athletes and racers in RAAM (the slovenian who was killed on a training ride a few weeks ago was featured. sad to think about, but listen to his interview, its pretty wild!).
    'You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you'll find you get what you need.' - Mick & Keith

There is a blonde joke:

There was a blonde that went to the hair salon with headphones. Before the barber started cutting her hair she told him "Make sure not to knock the headphones off my head". So the barber was sure not to. The next time, the blonde said the same thing "Do not knock the headphones off my head". The barber again, did what he was told. The third time she went, she told the barber again "Don't knock the headphones off my head", this time though, the barber accidentally knocked them off. As soon as the headphones fell off, the blonde dropped to the floor unconcious. The barber picked up the headphones and listened, and this is what it said "Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out...."

Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe... and that I'm super badass and by finishing what I started I am only proving that.

personally I count- I guestimate the number of pedal strokes it will take me to get to the top of the hill when I shift down into my granny gear and then I count and use it to set a breathing rhythm and see if I can't beat myself out. I also find that if I am getting bored on the treadmill or elliptical, I do the same thing. Whatever it takes to take my mind off the process.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Lately on my rides, I've been thinking about something KnottedYet wrote recently, about not thinking about how fast you're supposed to be or how far you're supposed to ride. I also think "effortless effort" and "rest on the hills". I read the latter in an interview with a 90 something year old cyclist, and it's sage advice.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

I've used counting too. It is always amusing, because I can NEVER keep count past the 20s or 30s and I end up counting in sequence, but not properly advancing the tens place.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I sing...at the top of my lungs!! It's awful and and it really helps my husband climb and he just wants to get away from the noise!

Quote Originally Posted by marni View Post
    personally I count- I guestimate the number of pedal strokes it will take me to get to the top of the hill when I shift down into my granny gear and then I count and use it to set a breathing rhythm and see if I can't beat myself out. I also find that if I am getting bored on the treadmill or elliptical, I do the same thing. Whatever it takes to take my mind off the process.
    That's hilarious! I do the same exact thing!!!!!!
    I aspire to be...the best I can be...the best I've ever been!

2011 Tarmac SL3 Pro Sram/"La Sombra Blanca"/Specialized Jett

Lately, "dontcrashdontcrashdontcrash"
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

"You can do this! Are you a sissy, or a cyclist? JUST GO!" I'm kinda bossy...
    Be yourself, to the extreme!

Wink cycling affirmations

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    I've used counting too. It is always amusing, because I can NEVER keep count past the 20s or 30s and I end up counting in sequence, but not properly advancing the tens place.
    I guess it's the oc side of my personality. I even found myself counting steps while walking the dogs today- of course since I was listening to a book on my ipod at the same time, I lost count a lot and kept forgetting to advance the tens. In all honesty though I was trying to figure out some jogging intervals/distances that I can do while walking the dogs so there was technically a reason for that counting.

My affirmation for the year this year is "make it count" which I am applying to weight loss, weight training, cardio, fat burn, biking and possibly, depending on how well my knees work out, jogging and doing a warrior run with my daughter in the fall.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

When I have to go up a very long steep climb, and I notice that I hope that it will end soon or I want to stop, I try to change my thoughts from "fighting against" that hill and wanting to stop to "accepting" the hill, the steepness and that this won't change for a while and I won't have to stop no matter what.

Something along the Matrix quote: Do not try to bend the spoon — that's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth: there is no spoon. Then you'll see, that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.

Last edited by Susan; 02-06-2011 at 08:44 AM.

susan,

your acceptance of the hill reminds me of the story about the frail old man riding up a steep long hill very slowly. Every hammerhead and jock who passed him encouraged him to speed up a little, teased him saying " come on old timer you can do it" etc. Finally one guy slowed slightly as he was passing and said "doesn't it make you crazy that everyone is passing you?" to which the old man responded "why worry, the top of the hill will still be there when I reach it."

I remember this story frequently.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

new member here, love this thread! What popped into my head this weekend while riding up a gradual but seemingly endless hill into a headwind was DON'T YOU DARE QUIT

It worked, but I think I'll try for a more positive affirmation next time!

I saw this slogan on the back of a team jersey at Bike MS this past weekend:
    "Quit when you're finished, not when you're tired."
    It helped me finish 75 miles (my longest ride yet!) on Saturday with a smile on my face!
    '09 Jamis Satellite Femme | stock Jamis Road Sport -- road
    '08 Trek 7.2FX | Terry Cite -- commuter
    '77 Raleigh Grand Prix mixte | stock Brooks (vinyl) -- just for fun!