Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

To disable ads, please log-in.

Now that I have a 3-year old in the trailer behind me, we have a new hill/incline/gentle slope song. It's originally from a preschool tv show and goes:

"I can do it (climb this hill)
    I can do it (climb this hill)
    I can do it (climb this hill)
    You can do it too!
    Wiggle your nose (wiggle wiggle wiggle!)
    Touch your toes
    Count to three (ONE TWO THREE!)
    C'mon everybody join in with me 'cause
    I can do it..." etc etc

Fortunately we only ride short hills.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

I love this thread!
    I don't have much of a mantra other than whenever I have doubt, when I think just hopping on the subway would be SO much easier and I'm tired, I just say "don't be stupid" in the most matter-of-fact tone my brain can manage.

I'm totally going to use stuff from this thread.

When I am having a hard time keeping on I think about Dori from Finding Nemo, "just keep swimming, swimming, swimming" except for I change it to "just keep going, going, going..." I also think positives to myself such as "Wow, Sarah, look at what you just did. You can do this! Just keep going. You're doing awesome!"

I find myself doing one of two things on the bike. When I am on the mountain bike trail and am in a section that makes me nervous for whatever reason, I find myself singing the "circus song" (the notes, not lyrics), and smiling as much as I can. This seems to relax me and allows me to focus on the trail and not my nerves.

On the road when climbing a hard hill I find myself going "pedal, pedal, pedal, pedal" under my breath. It works

wow- so many of these are cute and sweet- guess I do belong with my gnarly boy mountain bikers because I usually sing heavy metal or fight songs to myself when it gets brutal (:

I suffer from bipolar, severe anxiety, social phobia, and polarized thinking (like if I miss one day I've missed everything and there's no point anymore)... so my affirmations are fine-tuned to combat the fixed and persistent habit of negative thinking.

"It doesn't matter how slow I go so long as I go." This works for uphill battles, the days when I think I ache too much to ride, etc... And if I have to get off my bike and walk it at times, that's fine so long as my feet are moving the second they hit pavement. "Just keep moving."

"Biking makes you feel better. It feels better to feel better. Bike." This might sound redundant, but it really works for me.

If it's raining, I'll think "Well thank goodness for the free cool-off and drink of water. At least I won't be dehydrated/get sunburnt/etc."
    If it's cold, I'll think "Good! I won't feel that sweat as much and it'll cool me down."
    If it's really hot, I'll think "Excellent, I can try to sweat the weight off." (Just bring an extra water bottle!)
    If it's good weather, "Hey this is great weather for a ride!"
    If it's night-time/early morning, "Cool beans; they'll see my reflectors but not 'me'!"

I'm lucky enough to live out in the countryside, so there aren't too many people about... but when I get super anxious anyway I just tell myself to look at the ground (don't make eye contact, good Lord) and feel proud that while they're driving around on cushy seats, I'm out here doing something about my weight. That isn't to put anyone down, per se, so much as to help myself overcome the absolute petrification that comes on with the thought of being seen by other people. If I'm doing something good, even if I think they must be judging me, I know their potentially harsh judgement falls flat. I may be "fat" now, but if I keep this up I won't be tomorrow." I use 'tomorrow' like "the kids of tomorrow"... somewhere in the future... but it helps me get past the immediate worries too, since it's all in my head.

When nothing else works, I like to pretend I'm someone else... someone who has the strength, the nerve, and the confidence I haven't got... until I've done it a few times and can say "now I'm the one who shows that strength, that nerve, and that confidence."
    Last edited by Swan; 10-18-2012 at 01:30 PM.

I like the idea of pretending to be someone else. I'll try that tomorrow when I return to Pump class at the gym tomorrow. I haven't been there since spring!

When on a difficult/challenging ride, I tell myself: "I GET to do this". It seems to help.
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

Quote Originally Posted by smittykitty View Post
    I like the idea of pretending to be someone else. I'll try that tomorrow when I return to Pump class at the gym tomorrow. I haven't been there since spring!

When on a difficult/challenging ride, I tell myself: "I GET to do this". It seems to help.
    Actually, the "get to do this quote" is one we should all keep in mind! A swim coach one of my kids had always reminded them (usually after a brutal practice) that we are privileged to be challenged and exhausted from athletics, rather than from eking out a sustenance living or dodging bullets