Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

What are your cycling affirmations?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have been reading tons of things on mind-body stuff throughout the years and have also enjoyed the book "Sports Psychology for Cyclists".

I was curious to know if anyone had their own affirmations if you will for cycling, whether it's training, racing, riding for fun or whatever

Thanks

I wouldn't say they're affirmations exactly, but there was a TV show on a few months ago about every day people tackling a Royal Marines training program.

One phrase that got my attention was mentioned just after the guys had done some huge physical challenge involving hiking up hills.

They all arrived back looking dead the the CO told them to

'Suck it in, make it look easy and feel proud/victorious that you've conquered the hill.'

I've been trying to do this when I get to the top of a big climb. Instead of collapsing in a heap I've been trying to pull myself together, give a big smile, as if to say to 'That was easy' and feel proud that I've reached the hill top, rather than feeling like the hill has got the better of me.

I guess I could sum this all up as PMA, but it's certainly been helping me feel more pro-active , rather than feeling I've just been through a punishment.

Every night when I go home I have to climb a mountain - about 800-1000 ft. I treat every night as a brand new "day" (does that make sense?! ) I think maybe, just maybe This time I can climb just a little bit farther in a higher gear. Or maybe Just maybe Today is the day I won't have Any traffic to wait on when I have to cross the busy streets. Or maybe Today is the day I set a new "avg spd" coming home. ( I record the spds for each ride since going To work is Down the mountain! LOL) Or maybe today is a good day to sit up and smell the roses! or maybe today is the day I see Louisiana - whos knows his real name - and he'll chat with me during his recovery ride. I also have the beauty of the mountain every night as I ride home and its Never the same - especially now with the sun setting on it and the sprinkle of snow. Anyway - not sure if that was what you were looking for - but its why I keep riding - every day!

BTW MM: Love the new pix!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Head winds and hills are my personal trainers. Think of them like that & they can become your friend.

I'm attuned in Reiki (warning - new age, woo-woo stuff to follow) and found that inviting the energy into my body while going up a particularly long, steep hill suddenly made the climb easier. I don't think you need to know Reiki to do this.

I envision energy entering my body from the top of my head. This energy is intelligent and knows where it needs to go, so I don't direct it, e.g., "Get to the quads right now!!"

This energy exists everywhere, all the time. All we need to do is open ourselves up to receive it. It's a gentle, but powerful process.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I keep it simple: "keep pedaling"
    2003 Trek 7500FX/standard saddle
    2006 Trek Pilot 2.1/Serfas cutout saddle

Yay!

LOL at the bit about hills being personal trainers...love that too!

Dogmama, hey, that's not woo woo stuff...I myself am a Reiki master I do what you describe all the time LOL. I love it

I wanted to pick your guys' brains on this stuff for ideas because for part of my hubby's Christmas gift, I am making him his own affirmations for cycling card deck (I am going to be all artsy about it and customize them for him)...so, I promise not to use any of your ideas...they were to inspire some of mine....hope no one minds

Bear hugs,

Lisa

re. "woo-woo" stuff

Another Reiki Master on the boards -- but I never thought of "inviting" it to help me up the hills. (What a concept!)
    I definitely use it to bless the ride and keep us safe on the road.

I have two.

The first one is simply weeeeeeeee!!! Cycling makes me feel good.

The second is cycling gives me strength both mentally and physically. You must use your strength to gain more strength.

wow

Wow! Hoooray! Reiki people (My hubby loves it sent to him during his races...gee, I should attune him so he can send it to me to amplify what I am having sent to myself LOL. All the dogs at the races come up to me when I start to send it out...funny, huh?).

One of my favorites is "I think I can", but knowing about the power of words, I have changed it as "I know I can."

I also like to focus on single words like "Power" or "Strength" or "Stamina" or "Energy"...kinda like a mantra...without the prayer beads LOL.

Hugs,

Lisa

Well, mine is kind of silly but when I was little my dad taught me fear of falling, heights, injury, etc., by holding me off to the side while my brother did anything he wanted and we watched. He was petrified that I'd get hurt. Now I am incremently conquering those fears mountain biking. The latest trick? When my brain starts to take control, I just shout at my brain, "Stop It, Just Relax!!!" Sometimes it actually listens and then, I get all teary-eyed when I conquer something that's just stumped me before. It's incredible what illogical child lessons reach out and take control later in life.

Wow! So many Reiki's! I never thought about inviting the energy to bless my ride & keep me safe. What hand positions would I use on my tires to keep them from blowing out?

Yogi bear, your affirmation "I know I can" got me thinking. If you're already doing it, I would want something more positive. For me, the anal retentive linguist, "can" isn't the same as "do". I "can" go up a hill, but will I?

I might say, "I am powerfully going up this hill" or, "I am easily slipping through this headwind." Then, I would concentrate on my legs pedaling in a circle from the hips very smoothly and in control.

That's just me picking nits. It probably works for Normal People just fine.

(Isn't Normal a setting on a washing machine?)

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

now ya got me thinking...

Hey, Dogmama, ya got me thinking too...you are absolutely right about the usage of "can"...I love it when I think so thank you How about "I know I will." ?

I like how you make the affirmation specific to what you are doing on the bike. Awesome! Thanks so much for sharing

Hey, "normal" is overrated...that is for sure I strive to overcome it LOL.

Bear hugs,

Lisa

P.S. In regards to the tires thing...hmmm...wonder if there is some Tire God/dess we can enlist LOL?

"Will" is future tense & you're doing it right now. Another thing I think is how wonderful the view is from the top!

If you figure out who the Goddess of Permanently Inflate Tires is, let me know. I'll build an alter to her!

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I don't know if they are affirmations as much as mantras. I have different ones for different situations:

"I can do ANYthing for 30 seconds"

This one is good for closing gaps or cresting steep climbs. I string a bunch of 'em together if I need to suffer a bit longer!

"Be like water"

For mountain biking.

"Throw yourself off the mountain"

I use this one for descending quickly. It's more "visual" than a verbal mantra. I think about "throwing" (pushing) my bike and body down the hill as quickly as possible.

"Bury the b*tch"

For climbing.

When I first began mountain biking, I took a class at the local community college, and the instructor was like a cheerleader while we were out on the trails. So now when I am in the midst of a challenging climb, I hear his voice yelling at me to "pedal pedal pedal, come on, you can do it, pedal pedal pedal!" Sometimes I say those words as well. And of course, I congratulate myself when I accomplish something difficult with a good old fashioned "Wahooooo!"

This is not a mantra, but something I heard and think of when looking ahead at a difficult portion of the trail: "Do, or do not." So I either commit to going for it, or get off and walk it. It's that simple.