Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Now is all there is...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yes, "will" is future tense. Don't want to get into a deep philosophical discussion here, but now IS all there really is, yes. However, I also believe all time is NOW...and all of my realities are available to me NOW, so I don't really get too hung up on verb tenses LOL. I just try to frame things positively.

Just my $0.02

Hugs,

Lisa

I think wording is important. When I started out riding, if I was going up an especially tough hill I used to say to myself.' I know I can do it, I know I can do it' but now I say,

'I'm doing it, I'm doing it - aren't I doing great! I'm going so well'

Ok - so it doesn't always FEEL like I'm doing great, but either way I'm still doing it. Even if I have a totally duff ride I still pat myself on the back as I'm still doing better than people who don't get of the sofa. I guess that makes 'You've got to be in it to win it ' another phase I repeat from time to time.

And at this time of year I reackon anyone who gets out there and rides, even for half an hour, is a winner in my mind.

yes

Yes, wording is very important This time of year in Michigan it is so cold outside so I wouldn't want to say, "I hope I don't freeze." as my affirmation LOL. Or, when I am anaerobic, I don't like to think or say, "Gosh, I hope I don't die." LOL

But, seriously, I do pay attention to wording. I also like to dream big in a realistic sense and phrase my affirmations that are goal-oriented in a way that is worded as though the goals are already accomplished.

Yay! more ideas

Originally posted by MightyMitre

Ok - so it doesn't always FEEL like I'm doing great, but either way I'm still doing it. Even if I have a totally duff ride I still pat myself on the back as I'm still doing better than people who don't get of the sofa. I guess that makes 'You've got to be in it to win it ' another phase I repeat from time to time.

And at this time of year I reackon anyone who gets out there and rides, even for half an hour, is a winner in my mind.
    Thanks for posting this. This time of the year...when I am doing 30 minute runs and ~hour long bike rides (when I can sqeeze them in!) I feel like a slug. I say the same thing "hey we are waaay ahead of the guy on the couch chugging a six-pack!"

Whoohoo..we are da' women!

Feeling just a little bit frisky tonight after my first snow-run of the year here!!!

cool

What a great topic. I use imagery and mental training in my spin classes all the time. The group i train on a regular basis have told me they really like it.

A couple of things i do: finish the following sentence:
    "I am..." as in I AM strong, I AM powerful, I am as fast as a...they have fun with that one.

the other thing i tell them, don't just think you can, KNOW you can.

MAKE it a good day. don't just have one.

My favorite quote out of Women who run with wolves: It is not the failure that holds us back but the reluctance to begin over again that causes us to stagnate. if you’re scared, so what?

and one to make you giggle:
    You know that old proverb about how it takes more muscles to frown than to smile? Ride angry: it's a better workout.

I love it!

Han-grrl,

I love that quote from Women Who Run With the Wolves Yay!

I had this visual though when you joked about tensing the facial muscles...I like to watch sprinters who do the 100 or 200...they keep themselves so relaxed that you can see their facial muscles looking like jello...it's quite an art I am sure. I myself can't tense my facial muscles though because it tightens my neck and shoulders...not trying to nit-pick though because your joke made me LOL.

Bear hugs,

Lisa

ok - so maybe we should ride with happy faces but angry legs?? it works for Lance! LOL
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Riding angry

Well, there goes my recumbent grin!

No, on second thought, I'm not going to stop smiling on my bike. Life is too short for that.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Smile

You know that old proverb about how it takes more muscles to frown than to smile? Ride angry: it's a better workout.
    This is great! I've also got a mental image of riding along with a huge frown on my face, then meeting someone and having to reassuring them . 'No, honestly - I'm having a great ride, I'm really happy.' while scowling as hard as I can.

I like the smiles too :)

I like the smiles too. I like to smile on my bike especially on climbs because it really makes people think LOL.

I used to like watching Susan DeMattei race...I saw her race back in '96 and she smiled the entire time. This is right before she won her bronze in mtn. biking at the Olympics. So, I have tried to model my smiling after hers

smiling

Speaking of smiles, did you see Marie Helene Premont smile as she crossed the finish line winning silver and the Olympics (yay Canada!). I could only imagine how good that must have felt. that was such a brutal race course!

In Sport Psych for Cyclists, i really like the animal affirmations:
    I personally like I AM A MOUNTAIN LIONESS grrrrrrr

Women who run with wolves is a MUST read for all women. It is heavy, and as my friend who gave it to me said, you must savor it like good ice cream. But there are many many good lessons in there. Most of all it reminds us about the strong female spirit.

I find mental training so interesting. I am hardest on myself, and my hard on myself thoughts are only self defeating. stuff like i am not going fast enough and the like.

So some tips: thought stopping, when you find yourself start down that negative path, just say to yourself, stop and turn the phrase around. this takes A LOT of practice, but does work.

Post ride/race sit down and think about what your thoughts were, what bugged you. (this is actually a neat exercise i did with my coach). then turn them to a positive. example: i did a race (100 km long mtb) in the rain. i HATED the rain. i got myself so frustrated. so, solutions: it was mid summer - so the rain kept everything a nice temperature, and there weren't as many bugs out, and really, EVERYONE else is riding in the rain too (although it DOES feel like the cloud is hovering above my helmet haha) so the bike issues/trail slippiness is just as bad as everyone else. This seems so simple, but next time i went in the rain, i laughed and laughed at how slippy everything was. and then i started training in the rain. and now the rain doesn't seem so bad.

ok, a little wordy, just thought i would share...

Han

Would like to run with wolves

han-grrl -

Do you have the name of the author for the Women who Run with Wolves book. Sounds like a great read and I'd love to give it a go. Is it easy to get hold of?

PS - cograts for getting over the rain. We have lots of rain here in the UK so we're used to it but doesn't meant to say I haven't whimped out of plenty of rides because it 'looks a bit cloudy.'

Running with Wolves

The book is called Women WHo Run With the Wolves
    Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype

by Clarissa Pinkola Estes

Take your time reading it. it actually took me almost a year. ok, that wasn't steady reading, but it does take time to digest some of the material. the lessons i have learned are invaluable. stuff like listen to your inner voice. get over your fear (as quoted above) and other little inspirations.

Enjoy, it is well worth the read!

hannah

Pedal!

This is a little story passed along to me, i don't know who the author is. It has a little religious angle. i just find it so inspiring, and i read every time i feel i need some a little push...

i keep a copy in my wallet

i hope you enjoy it as much as i do.

-------------
    Pedal!

At first I saw God as my observer, my judge, keeping track of the things I did wrong, so as to know whether I merited Heaven or Hell when I die. He was out there sort of like the president. I recognized His picture when I saw it, but I didn't really know Him. But later on when I recognized my Higher Power, it seemed as though life was rather like a bike ride, but it was a tandem bike, and I noticed that my Higher Power was in the back helping me pedal.

I don't know just when it was that It suggested we change places, but my life has not been the same since, life with my Higher Power, that is. It makes life exciting.
    When I had control, I knew the way. It was rather boring but predictable. It was the shortest distance between two points. But when my Higher Power took the lead, It knew delightful long cuts, up mountains, and through rocky places at breakneck speeds: it was all I could do to hang on!!! Even though it looked like madness, it said, "PEDAL!"

I worried and was anxious and asked "Where are you taking me?" It laughed and didn't answer, and I started to learn to trust. I forgot my boring life and entered into the adventure. And when I'd say "I'm scared" It would lean back and touch my hand. It took me to people with gifts that I needed, gifts of healing, acceptance and joy. They gave me their gifts to take on my journey, our journey. And we were off again. It said, "Give the gifts away, they're extra baggage, too much weight." So I did, to the people we met, and I found that in giving I received, and still our burden was light.

I did not trust my Higher Power at first, in control of my life. I thought It would wreck my life, but It knows bike secrets, knows how to make it bend to take sharp corners, jump to clear high rocks, fly to shorten scary passages.

And I am learning to shut up and pedal in the strangest places, and I'm beginning to enjoy the view and the cool breeze on my face with my delightful constant companion, my Higher Power.

And when I'm sure I just can't do anymore, It just smiles and says "PEDAL!"

reminds me of a very short one a friend of mine says

"If you want to hear G** laugh tell her "I have a plan!"

which on this board would be "I have a route!"
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/