Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gloucester

Gloucester

To disable ads, please log-in.

UGH! I am so tired today, despite going to bed at 8:30 last night. Gloucester is in the books for this year, and it was fun, fast and challenging. Besides being tired, I am sun/wind burnt, more bruised and hoarse from cheering for all my teammates and friends. What a GREAT weekend!

Day 1 - Saturday

DH and I arrived early so that we could get a good parking spot, and get on the course before racing started at 9:00 am. It was a very cool 34 degrees when we arrived, so we waited just a bit for the sun to warm things up to about 40 before heading out. Three laps of the course told me that it was going to be FAST, and require a lot of power.

Since my race wasn't until noon, I played the cheering specatator for the 3/4 35+ race, and then making sure that DH was all set for his race at 11:00. With our races so close together, I was only able to watch DH as I warmed up on the trainer. He had a great race, though, and finished well in a very experienced field of racers.

I registered early, and had a great front-row starting position for my race. This turned out to be a good thing, given that our field started out with 52 women! I was nervous. At our team meeting prior to the race, I had asked everyone their goals, but had not revealed my own - I wanted a top 5 finish, and I was going to have to work my butt off for it.

When the whistle blew, I went out as hard as I could, knowing that the start was all important in this race. One woman flew past me like there were rockets attached to her bike, but I still ended up being the third woman into the field, quickly passed Rocket-girl (whose rockets abruptly died, it seemed), and was solidly in second place. Someone behind me hit my rear wheel/derailleur going into the first left-hand turn, but I knew I had to keep the pace up, so I didn't even look back. Held onto the same mentality when someone behind me went down on the small dirt uphill shortly thereafter - not sure if others got caught in the melee, but again, didn't look back to find out.

One of my teammates yelled for me to keep the foot on the gas as I ran up over the barriers, so I did, and I managed to hold that position for most of the lap, but drifted back into 4th by the end of the second lap. As I settled in, I came to the realization that if I was tired, so was everyone else. That gave me a little extra boost - time to take advantage of those tired competitors!

The rest of the race was fairly uneventful, but I did end up losing a couple more spots along the way. I was never so thankful to be lapped by junior National Champ, Luke Keough as I was in this race - that meant that I didn't have to do 6 laps, only 5! I finished the race in 9th - didn't meet my original goal, but given my effort and the strenght and size of the field, I was really happy with a top 10 finish.

Day 2 - Sunday

After the hard effort on Saturday, I decided upon hearing the course did not change not to do any pre-riding of the course on Sunday. This allowed me to relax and enjoy watching our friend in his first-ever 'cross race, and then cheer on our many friends in the 3/4 Masters 35+ race before having to start getting ready for my own.

For some reason, I was more nervous lining up on Sunday than I had been on Saturday. I think I was putting a lot of pressure on myself to improve on my results from Saturday, and to see if I couldn't achieve my top 5 goal after all.

I chased two women for the hole shot, and ended up on the dirt again in second/third place. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to hold this position today. Why? Not sure. My legs felt great, but for some unknown reason, my bike couldn't figure out which cog it should be in on the rear cassette, and there was a lot of skipping around on the back.

I did play leap frog with a couple of women throughout the race, but was really frustrated with my shifting. The deafening cheers from friends and teammates definitely helped though. Coming up over the barriers, through the chicane section and again up the start/finish hill, the cheers were almost deafening at times. Thanks to everyone who cheered and encouraged over the two days of racing - it definitely helps when the motivation is low ;-).

With two laps left for me to race, I entered the chicane section to warnings that riders were down in the turn ahead. I kept my head up to be sure I could see any obstacles and WHAM! was hit from behind by a junior trying to pass in a very difficult spot. He completely wiped me out. At that point, I was frustrated already, and this just demoralized me. And then came Alex. Alex shouted at the top of her lungs "You will not give up!", pointing her finger at me, and running with me as I remounted my bike. That was the encouragement I needed.

Of course, going into the next turn, the NEXT junior decided to have a go at me, ramming into my shoulder as he tried to pass. Luckily, I managed to stay upright, and continue on with my race, bent brake hood and all! With one lap to go, I gave everything I had. I knew my teammate was right behind me, and I really didn't want her to beat me. Head down and hammer it out was the thought in my head, and you can definitely see that in the finish photo. Today's finish - 14th, but only 3 seconds slower than yesterday. Guess some of those other women got their race legs on Day 2

I had never raced Gloucester before this weekend, but I loved everything about it. It was an AWESOME course, great venue and very well organized. With a couple of weekends of back-to-back racing, however, I think we'll keep it low key next weekend as we get ready for Canton at the end of the month.

First photo: Don't tell me when I'm tired to put it in the big ring, 'cause I'm gonna yell back at you that I only have 1!

Second photo: In the chicanes

Third photo: Heads down finish
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gm_big ring.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	4593   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chicane.JPG 
Views:	302 
Size:	165.8 KB 
ID:	4594   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	heads_down.JPG 
Views:	307 
Size:	162.6 KB 
ID:	4595  
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Sounds like in all you still had a great weekend. Top 10 in such a large field is nothing to sniff at!

I finally did my first cross race this Sunday. I'm such a big chicken and after I did it someone told me that it is one of the more technical on the calendar...... it had a big, steep, (well at least it looked big and steep when you were staring down it) down hill on single track, that ended in a left hand turn that you had to either stop or make it or else crash into a tree! What everyone told me was soooo true. Roadies like me could kill on the straight sections and the mt bikers/crossers would do great on the technical ones. I played leapfrog with a few people for most of the race I'd fly past them on straights (and unfortunately on the run ups... which would put me ahead to go back down) and then they'd have to find a way around me as I panicked trying to go down the nasty sandy hill. The off camber stuff, which I was a bit worried about, wasn't too much of a bother. Dinky bike performs pretty well - I can still go fast enough on the road/track/flats and it flies uphill - when other people are struggling I can spin up almost anything as long as it isn't loose. I certainly won't make any claims to have done well, but I survived and did not crash during the race (I did warming up!), though I got stuck behind a crash in the second lap. I liked it enough that I'll do some more, though I can't see myself getting too serious about it. I like road too much. I do think that I'll get some bike handling benefits out of it.

My husband took a little video (me, one of my teammates and one of his teammates)
    http://www.youtube.com/OneToGoCycling
    Last edited by Eden; 10-15-2007 at 11:51 AM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Wow. You guys both did great. Sounds like a hoot - but hard as heck.
    I wish the Gloucester races had been more established before I left town. I have a friend who was racing/perhaps volunteering there this past weekend (and the park is within an easy pedal from my old apartment!).
    Pardon my ignorant question, but SheFly, you mentioned being passed by both Juniors (which, I take it you are not) and men. Are the races co-ed? Mixed "classes"? Or, do some groups overtake and lap earlier starting groups?
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    Pardon my ignorant question, but SheFly, you mentioned being passed by both Juniors (which, I take it you are not) and men. Are the races co-ed? Mixed "classes"? Or, do some groups overtake and lap earlier starting groups?
    Our race was the similar - several groups of masters men, masters women and cat 4 women all started together (well they put about 30 sec between groups - starting with the groups they think will be fastesst). Ours was a long course so I didn't get lapped at all, even by the men.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    Wow. You guys both did great. Sounds like a hoot - but hard as heck.
    I wish the Gloucester races had been more established before I left town. I have a friend who was racing/perhaps volunteering there this past weekend (and the park is within an easy pedal from my old apartment!).
    Because there are so few juniors, and usually fewer women, they ran the two classes together, with the juniors going off first, followed 30 seconds later by us. This was a MUCH better scenario than last year when the women went off with the Cat 4 men .

The fields at Gloucester are huge. The Cat 4 men's field (think beginner here), was full and had a waiting list - that's 125 guys all riding the course at the same time!!!! The same was true for many of the other men's fields.

Next year I won't have to worry - I'll race with the Elite women and then there will only be Lyne Bessette lapping me to worry about .

Oh, and Regina - the Gloucester races are HUGE here, and are being referred to by some die hards as New Belgian Worlds...

SheFly

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    Sounds like in all you still had a great weekend. Top 10 in such a large field is nothing to sniff at!

I finally did my first cross race this Sunday... I liked it enough that I'll do some more, though I can't see myself getting too serious about it. I like road too much. I do think that I'll get some bike handling benefits out of it.
    Thanks, Eden, and congrats on your first race! Very exciting, and it sounds like you did well. Not sure about the sentiment around not getting too serious - it's addictive and can drag you totally into the culture

SheFly

I agree that cross is very addicting... I did my third race on Saturday at Gloucester and can't wait for the next one. So far I'm ok with being in the back of the field as I learn but hopefully next year this time I'll be stronger and move up a bit. Gloucester was fun there were so many people cheering on our beginner woman's race. It was nice to have the encouragement.

Nice avatar! Congrats on finishing the race, and having a good time! You looked like you were having a great time when I saw you, but remember - NO STOPPING when people are passing you!

SheFly

Congrats on a good race at Gloucester!

Shefly - The next time a junior goes to pass you, just throw an elbow. Just kidding. They still have a lot to learn - they may be fast and have that youthful energy, but experience will teach them not to try and pass in such tight areas.

Eden - Congrats on finishing your first race! I was hooked after my first race, but that was almost a month ago. Some of my enthusiasm and excitement has tapered since then, but I'm sure it will be back after my race next weekend!

Juligirli - Welcome to TE!

Great racing Shefly!

I made it to Gloucester too for my 3rd race on Sunday. We finished my Frankenbike on Saturday and I planned on going to Gloucester to watch on Sunday, but Frank was already in the car...sooo...

The course was fast and longer than the other courses I have ridden. I was off the back the entire race and I think I got lapped twice by the 2 leaders! No matter, it still was a blast and hopefully I will get better as time and races go on. Yes, I'm hooked! And Frank loved it!

Name:	IMG_1069_1_2_1.JPG 
Views:	292 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	4597  

holy sand pits Batman!

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    holy sand pits Batman!
    Yup - but completely rideable!

Wavedancer - that's a great shot! Congrats on a tough race, and Frank looks like a great ride for the upcoming races! Canton in a couple of weeks? It's close....

SheFly

[QUOTE=SheFly;254159]Yup - but completely rideable!

Errr.. not for Trigirlpink
    as you can see. I was too chicken to even try it!

Thought for the day: Men are like fine wine . . They start out
    as grapes; and it's up to the women to stomp the crap out of them until
    they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.

I raced Gloucester, too, both days. You had great results, SheFly, even if not quite what you wanted. And Trigirlpink, great to finally say hi to you. And Wavedancer, nice Frank bike!

The action in the back of the 3/4 Women's race was as heated as at the front, I guess. This course was very fast and not too technical, and favored road racers. I tried my hardest. Saturday I got jammed at the start, in spite of my trying to have a good start. I went too fast and aggressively in a couple of spots, and crashed twice. Oops! Sat. I got 36 out of 52. Sun. I tried to relax more, and I did better. No screw-ups at the start, no dumb moves, and no crashes. And I got 2 min. faster time. 26th out of 42 for Sunday. I have a woman who I regularly go head to head with for most of these races, and it was nice for me to try to beat her, which I did. AND I had my first-ever road sprint to the finish line against another woman, which was really intense, hurt pretty bad, and which worked out well for me! I felt like such the road racer then.

Name:	IMG_4805s.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	4615  

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by wavedancer View Post
    I was off the back the entire race and I think I got lapped twice by the 2 leaders!
    All right!!!! Now you are talkin' MY language!!

Seriously...great pix. It looked like a blast!
    Congrats to each of you for an awesome day!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle