Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

View Poll Results: I ...

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • do none of my own maintenance.

2 2.47%
  • fix flat tires.

74 91.36%
  • repair tubes.

52 64.20%
  • clean the drive train.

71 87.65%
  • replace brake/shifter cables.

20 24.69%
  • replace brake pads.

32 39.51%
  • adjust brakes/derailleurs

33 40.74%
  • replace derailleurs.

13 16.05%
  • true wheels.

9 11.11%
  • can assemble a bike from scratch.

10 12.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maintence Poll

To disable ads, please log-in.

I can change a tire/flat, but I've never had to on the road (luck). I live in fear of the day it happens. I clean my chain, but mostly my husband does it. He does all of the bike repairs; we have a complete bike shop, tools, etc which came about from when my son was racing and it was a lot less money for my husband to do the upkeep on his bikes. The only thing my husband doesn't do is work on the hydraulic brakes on the mtbs. We don't have the tools for that and since we don't use the mtbs that often, we just bring it to the shop.
    I am in awe of anyone who can do more than fix a flat. To me, it's like I'm trying to do something new everytime I do it.
    Well, I did put new tires on my wheels last spring, but i think it took me 2 hours!

So far all I've done is replace a tube. I need to get a good maintenance book so I can learn to do more and not feel helpless when something goes wrong. I'm sure my neighbor would help but he can be hard to catch at home.

Lora

I can take a bunch of parts and make them into a bike. Partly because I used to it in high school.

However. There are certain things I don't like to do. I'll take it to the shop for pressing in headset races. I'm not really good at adjusting bearings, hence the reason all the bearings on my bike are cartridge bearings.

I like to build wheels but I can't do it very quickly. I just learned how to get wheels in round and set the dish properly.

One of these days, I want to learn how to weld and build my own frame.
    re-cur-sion ri'-ker-shen n: see recursion

I can do the basic stuff but one it gets to the derailleurs I'm done, off to the shop.

Electra Townie 7D

I sure have come a long way. I know what a derailleur is and how to spell it!

Other big accomplishments were learning to change a tire IN THE FIELD and clean my drivetrain.

I'd changed tires before but never on the spot, I always called for a ride, bought the new inner tube when the store opened the next day, bike was out of commission for days before it was done. When I started commuting regulary, I started carrying a spare tube, tire levers & CO2 cartridge, but I also got kevlar tires and quit having flats, until finally 1 1/2 years later I did get a flat--and changed it right there!

My parents stopped by on their way through town, and they had their bikes with them, so I cleaned their drivetrains just for fun.

I can strip a frame bare and replace anything, but haven't dealt with facing the headtube or bb of a brand new frame. I can change headset races except I don't have the expensive tool to remove the fork crown race, so I take the fork to the lbs for that. I'm very good at adjusting bearings but have never tried to replace a sealed cartridge bottom bracket. I build and true wheels - not as fast as a pro, but maybe within a factor of two.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72