Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: advice, please

advice, please

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm riding the Norwich Metric tomorrow. This will be both the longest and hilliest ride I've ever attempted. I really want to do the whole thing, but I'm nervous about the climbing.

What do you do if you're hitting your lactic acid threshold and you have 30 miles still to go? Ibuprofen? Rest? Walk a bit?

Also, I occasionally get nausea if I eat too soon before big climbs, and since this is a new route for me, I don't know how to time it so I don't end up having that happen.

help!

I'm making an assumption you might mean bonking. Hitting your lactic acid threshold does not mean bonking, at least with the experiences I've had. Hitting the lactic acid threshold basically means your legs will produce lactic acid more than your body is able to eliminate it. For me the first signal is leg burn. This can occur on a long and/or steep hill or if you're pedaling very hard for a long time on a flat against a headwind or something. When that happens, knock down the cadence and drop to a lower gear to bring down the heart rate; you will go slower but your body will then be able to eliminate the lactic acid and after a few minutes you won't feel the burning in your legs. As a separate issue, to avoid long term fatigue just pace yourself 1-2 mph slower than usual if you're not used to longer rides.

Bonking is a different story. You must maintain nutrition levels suitable for you. If you bonk, it might be hard to come back from - for me I stop, rest, eat, and give it a little time if I'm feeling extraordinarily weary. One time this summer I did bonk. I had to rest/recover for an hour till I got back on the bike. I've done metrics on just gu, but always carry extra stuff like a banana, raisins, and granola bars or something. A prime factor in keeping many people from NOT bonking, is plenty of electrolytes. Keep gatorade or something similar with you on every long ride, even if you think you don't need it.

Eat good hours before, but don't eat "heavy" just before you start. It sounds like you'll be riding with other people. Ask someone around you when the hills are coming up. Certainly someone might know the route before you start - ask them. Do you know the route ahead of time. Go to Google Earth and check elevations or do an elevation profile or better yet, look at a USGS map (www.topozone.com). I never have road maps with me when I ride unfamilar ground, I always have USGS maps (more information).
    Last edited by mudmucker; 10-13-2007 at 07:41 AM.

Thanks, Mud. I do mean hitting lactic threshold, not bonking. I guess my problem is trying to climb big hills faster than I should (gettin' 'em done!) and not easing up enough. I'll try going a little slower. Maybe that will help.

My friend just gave me a great piece of advice-- walk the big one. Yes, that would work. Sometimes the obvious solution escapes me! Probably that will even make my time faster ! I guess I needed someone to give me the permission to do so! Thanks Jules! Having a "plan b" is really easing my mind!

Oh, ok. I think I inferred by the way you phrased the question. Walking. Yes, a perfect solution.

Take pictures! We want pictures. You are after all, just down the road apiece. Colors are looking good.