Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Rivendell vs Waterford

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've decided to get a good bike that combines all that I want to do with it. Looking at the Rivendell website, the Rambouillet seems to be perfect. I don't want to race, mostly road but Katy trail and touring if I feel like it. My question is...are there any other bikes comparable to the Rambouillet? I'd like to take my time and compare and ride many bikes. The Waterford st bikes seem to be fairly close also. Any others I should take a look at? What I want is drop bars, relaxed geometry, tires that can go fairly large like the ruffy tuffys, but that I can also install fenders and racks.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

How about a Salsa Casseroll?
    2007 Trek 5000
    2009 Jamis Coda
    1972 Schwinn Suburban

"I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood."
    Susan B. Anthony, 1896

I love my Rambouillet. I don't ride it as much since I got my Legolas. But if I could only have one bike it would be the Rambouillet. I have done a three week self supported tour with it, towing a trailer, a little off road riding - nothing gnarly though and my first three double centuries were done on it. It really is a bike that you can configure to do whatever you want.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Depending upon your budget, you might also want to look at Surly.

I've ordered a custom Waterford for my summer steed. High-end steel, light weight. So far, the experience has been outstanding.

I'm also seriously contemplating building up a "slush-kicker" for winter riding. It won't need to do snow, but it should be able to handle really rough, gravelly roads with coatings of melt. I plan on using it for gravel bike trails in the summer. It will be full fender, wider tires. My needs are similar, but my budget is much smaller than yours. Bikes in the market include the Salsa mentioned previously, the Surly bikes (Cross check or Pacer--you might want to check out the Long Haul Trucker) and Bianchi Volpe.

Pay attention to fit. If you're shorter in the torso, all of those bikes, including the stock Waterford/Gunnar's have long top tubes. If you also short you may not find a perfect fit frame.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Claudia, how tall are you?
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Why not get both?

Quote Originally Posted by uforgot View Post
    What I want is drop bars, relaxed geometry, tires that can go fairly large like the ruffy tuffys, but that I can also install fenders and racks.
    I love my Mondonico, great ride, beautiful and with plenty of zip and pep but yet all day comfort. But I don't think you could equip it with racks, fenders or ruffy tuffys.

Mimi's Davidson is a beaut and what I'd get for touring (if I won the Lotto and could get another bike )
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post
    Claudia, how tall are you?
    5'4", but I have a long inseam so I'd like some idea before I take any trips anywhere to look at bikes. You guys are telling me what I want to hear. I'm getting some idea and like I said, I'm not in a hurry. If this takes months, it takes month.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Quote Originally Posted by uforgot View Post
    5'4", but I have a long inseam so I'd like some idea before I take any trips anywhere to look at bikes. You guys are telling me what I want to hear. I'm getting some idea and like I said, I'm not in a hurry. If this takes months, it takes month.
    Ok, so for your info- I am 5' 5" 1/2 and have a fairly long inseam too. My 54cm Rivendell fits me, but only just barely, and a 52cm Rivendell might even fit me better.
    So if you are an inch shorter than me I would say you need a 52cm frame in a Rivendell. A 54 would likely be too big for you, reach wise. I have some issues with too long reach as it is on my 54 and I'm an inch and a half taller than you.

There are still a few 52cm Rambouillets around for sale new, but they are going fast and Rivendell has stopped making Rambouillets for now (big mistake in my book). One thing you should know though is that a 52 Ramb would have 26" tires, not 700 tires.
    A Rivendell Saluki would fit your needs well too, and Riv still makes those. It also would have 650B tires in your size frame.
    Look to see if there are any Jamis dealers near you- the Jamis Aurora is a fine touring bike and much cheaper than Rivs or Waterfords.

You have not given any clues as to your price range. And are you considering waiting for a custom bike made just for you?
    Lisa

Now I'm also 5'4" and a bit and my 54 Rambouillet fits me pretty well and I considered getting a 56. So you can't just go by height.

V.

TandemHearts.com

True! Height alone will only get you in the ballpark.
    But even inseam length is overrated- sometimes the arm length/reach thing is very important, like for me. I have no trouble standing over my 54cm and the bike feels generally very good- except for the slightly too long reach thing with my arms- and that has little to do with my height or inseam. Hopefully you will be able to test ride a production bike before buying it, that is the best thing.
    Lisa

I'm not trying to figure out size just yet. I'm just trying to get some idea what kinds of bikes are out there that will fit my needs. Actually, when I did the Rivendell "fit" system, I was at the top end of a 54. (32+ inseam) There is a shop in Nashville that carries the Rambouillets, so I would certainly go there first to make sure since I've really not put a cap on price yet, but it's a long drive so I want to have my ducks in a row first. I rarely drive, only if I leave town, and no one would blink if I spent the amount a Rivendell cost on a vehicle! I agree about the Rambouillet. All of the others Rivendell offers have a minimum suggested tire width of 30mm and the Rambouillet is 27mm which appeals to me. I've read where some think the Rivendells are overpriced for what you get, and that we are essentially "buying" Grant Peterson, but then again, there seems to be a Grant following and those who don't care at all for him. He seems to bring on the controversy, but I'm buying a bike, not him, so I really appreciate what Veronica said. You can adapt the Rambouillet to whatever you want. The Bleriot and the Saluki seem to be more off road. I have several bikes right now, among them a road bike that has more of a racing geometry and a commuter/katy trail bike and it would be nice to get one that does it all (except single track of course!) I've noticed that the Rivendells tend to hold their value well when reselling also. Something else I want. I had a Jamis which was in almost new condition and pretty much couldn't give it away! I also don't mind waiting until the Rambouillet quits sleeping as I plan on making this my LAST bike, (seems contradictory to my resale rule) and I want the best for my needs and money. I'm sort of tired of always economizing in my life.

Whew, long post. I appreciate all of the input!
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Congrats on a new bike, sounds great. Just an an FYI, our dealer sells Waterford, they are fully custom and simply beautiful, not cheap, but they can be almost as light as carbon and have an excellent ride. Gunner is the stock bike for Waterford, they come in standard sizes (although adjustments can be made for additional cost).

In looking at Rivendell, the stock frames are imported, while Waterford is all American made - this is important to some people. Also Rivendell doesn't offer a stock WSD frame, while all Waterford's are custom fit to you. If I were buying my LAST bike, I would go with Waterford, in the end I think a custom fit will be money well spent.

I put Mavic Ksyriums and 23s on my Rambouillet for doing double centuries. I've since decided I don't like the Ksyriums, they blow me around too much in a cross wind and I'll replace them with what I have on my Legolas eventually. Anyway, to my point, you don't always have to use wider tires.

I'm always amused when people talk about Grant. Riv HQ is maybe 15 miles away from me and we've been on three Rivendell campouts with the staff from Riv. Plus we go through phases when we're in there buying stuff every weekend. Oh, and we've bought 4 Rivendells.

Grant has to be one of the nicest guys I've ever met. All he wants is for more people to ride bikes. Yeah he's opiniated about what makes a good bike. All bike designers must be opiniated, otherwise they wouldn't have a job and all bikes would look the same and be manufactured the same way.

V.

TandemHearts.com

Well, I went to a Waterford dealer yesterday. I asked about fenders and he said it would just be a matter of changing the brakes??? Then I asked about fit, and he said he would just look at my current bike. No real fit session there. He seems to think that people worry too much about fit, and it didn't matter what kind of bike, as I was curious as to the difference between Waterford rs (road sport) and Waterford st (sport touring). That's when he said if I wanted fenders I would just get cantilever brakes. Frame really didn't matter. Maybe I should also say he had only 2 Waterfords in stock and one Gunnar. Lots of Treks, Bianchis, etc. He did take his time with me and wanted to see my Burley, which I had on the car. I still wasn't impressed. I would think that if I was willing to drop a lot of money on a bike, you would at least fake a fit session? He did mention that a customer drove to the Waterford plant to get a fit. He laughed when he said it.

Closest Riv dealer is 5 hours away, so sometime in the next few months, I may take a trek there. Of course I'll take my bike along and find a route or path to ride while I'm there! Hope it doesn't turn out like the Waterford dealer. Anyone know anything about Harpeth Cycles in Tennessee?
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

You could come to California to Riv HQ and get fit. They'll probably even let you borrow a bike and ride it up Mt. Diablo. Come on, you don't have anything planned over Christmas break anyway.

V.

TandemHearts.com