Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY

To disable ads, please log-in.

Claudia, that guy doesn't sound like someone I would trust to sell me the RIGHT bike for me. How can someone who sells bikes say that "people worry too much about fit"?!?! Poor fit=pain and even possible injuries. I'd be runnin' away from that guy myself.
    And um....you can't put fenders on just any bike by simply changing the brakes- for one thing, you need sufficient fork clearance.
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    You could come to California to Riv HQ and get fit. They'll probably even let you borrow a bike and ride it up Mt. Diablo. Come on, you don't have anything planned over Christmas break anyway.

V.
    After your 50th birthday, there is a lovely little medical test most doctors want you to take. THAT'S what I have planned over Christmas break. So do you believe me when I say I'd rather come to California?
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post
    Claudia, that guy doesn't sound like someone I would trust to sell me the RIGHT bike for me.
    No kidding! I tried to slink out of there several times but he wanted to keep talking. I think the Rambouillet is the bike for me, I'm just gonna wait until I can get somewhere to see one in person. I've spent hours researching forums, etc. Maybe I should write Rivendell and tell them I want to see one, so go ahead and push that button to start their production again. I'm not sure of the point, seems that there are a LOT of people who think it's a big mistake. I don't see how the Saluki and Homer whatever replace it. They seem to be more off-road than the Ram. That bike does everything I want, tires are the min and max width I want AND it has lugs. If I'm going to get what I want, I'm going all the way. Meanwhile, my Burley is a terrific road bike, and it will do me until next year for sure! I just can't take it off the pavement.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Claudia, there's a 54cm Rambouillet very similar to mine that's on Ebay right now- auction ending in a few hours:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123
    It "should" go for over $2000. If you miss that one you might then want to keep an Ebay search notification going for "Rambouillet". You would take either a 52cm or a 54cm Rambouillet. The 54's usually have 700 wheels, and the 52's usually have 26" wheels on them, just for your info.
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by uforgot View Post
    After your 50th birthday, there is a lovely little medical test most doctors want you to take. THAT'S what I have planned over Christmas break. So do you believe me when I say I'd rather come to California?
    oh my gosh. I'm getting one too at that time. Man, I dread it. Want to come go do that at the same time? I'll take you to my two great bike shops.
    "Chisel praise in stone; write criticism in sand."

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post
    Claudia, there's a 54cm Rambouillet very similar to mine that's on Ebay right now- auction ending in a few hours:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123
    It "should" go for over $2000. If you miss that one you might then want to keep an Ebay search notification going for "Rambouillet". You would take either a 52cm or a 54cm Rambouillet. The 54's usually have 700 wheels, and the 52's usually have 26" wheels on them, just for your info.
    Lisa, I'm the one who drove it up to $1700! I'm hesitating because it has 3,000 miles on it. I have a search going on for one, that's how I found this one. If it has minimal scratches and 3,000 miles do you still think it's worth $2000?
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Girrrrrrrrrrrl. Don't bid and drive it up yet! Wait until the last few minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by sandra View Post
    oh my gosh. I'm getting one too at that time. Man, I dread it. Want to come go do that at the same time? I'll take you to my two great bike shops.
    Before or after? Then if it's after we can have some fried green tomatoes, before and we can toast each other with that milky white substance everyone says is so awful.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

We are not going to drink that stuff. They have pills now. We are going to demand pills!

Quote Originally Posted by sandra View Post
    We are not going to drink that stuff. They have pills now. We are going to demand pills!
    My doc already told me no pills. She says they are finding that they don't do the job they are suppose to, and that's enough on THAT!

Man, talk about a thread hijack, this has to be the best one ever!
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

OK, back to the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by uforgot View Post
    Lisa, I'm the one who drove it up to $1700! I'm hesitating because it has 3,000 miles on it. I have a search going on for one, that's how I found this one. If it has minimal scratches and 3,000 miles do you still think it's worth $2000?
    My Rambouillet has about 8,000 miles on it. It's worth more than 2 K to me.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Looking at that bike, I'm more concerned about the 54 being too big for you than I am the extra $300.

I'm 5'4.75" and I ride a 54 Rambouillet.

Give the folks at Riv a call and see what they recommend for a size.

You'll end up missing out on this one. Although the seller does have a return option.

I gotta say the pictures look like ones straight from the Riv catalogue with the gray sheet backdrop.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Oh that's too funny my pointing that bike out to you, and you've already beed bidding on it!

Claudia, your inseam is 32", right? That's exactly the same as mine, and my 54 Rambouillet fits me quite well, except for the fact that I wouldn't mind it if it had a slightly shorter top tube, women-specific-wise. But with a 7mm stem and some Salsa Poco short reach handlebars I recently put on to replace the Nitto noodle bars, it is a pretty good fit now for me.
    Putting the Poco bars on brought my hands back an actual 2cm more than where they were with the noodle bars. That made a big difference for me.
    If your inseam is truly 32", then you should have about 1" crotch clearance when you stand over the bike, just like me.

My Ramb is a 2006 and has about 5,000 miles on it. Aside from a couple of paint scratches and needing a new chain and tires, it's like a new bike!
    3,000 miles is like nothing for a Rivendell....I've ridden over 3,000 miles already so far this year.
    That Ebay bike has some NICE components and is a real clean sparkling jewel- well worth over $2,000 if you ask me. If you bought it new today it would cost well over $2,500 with the components it has. Just so you have some perspective: I paid $2,500 for mine new 16 months ago, and it had less high end stuff on it at the time than this Ebay one has.
    54cm Rambouillets can't be bought new anymore, don't forget. I don't *think* anyone has them in stock right now. ...Veronica?

If it were me.... I'd bid $2,225 at the last 3 minutes. But you're not me! Easy to spend other people's money!
    P.S. don't worry, I won't bid on it- I already have mine!

It's a FINE bike and is made to last a lifetime.
    Lisa