Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

So salmon broiled with a flax-seed crust would be an elegant Omega 3 source... or salmon served with a flax and brown rice pilaf... oooh, now I gotta do some cooking!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Ahh - I see now.

Thanks for the article - excellent information!

Maybe I will just have to add either fish oil or fish powder to my other vitamins and supplements that I take daily...

Lynette

I eat ground flax seed on my breakfast oatmeal every morning & take one or two fish oil capsules every day. I can feel the difference.

I like these Omega 3 capsules from www.n3inc.com:
    ResQ 1250 Capsules. They are not cheap, but have absolutely no fish taste (I don't like those fish burps either) and they have high concentrations of EPA and DHA, at least compared to some of the other OTC stuff I checked out around town. You can also get it as a liquid if you're not into taking big pills.

I'll have to try adding flaxseed to my oat bran each morning.

Question

Question about this flax seed thing: do you have to eat it raw or is it ok to cook it along with my oat bran?

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    I eat ground flax seed on my breakfast oatmeal every morning & take one or two fish oil capsules every day. I can feel the difference.

In what way do you feel different? I've been taking 3 a day for a few weeks now.
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by BikeDutchess View Post
    Question about this flax seed thing: do you have to eat it raw or is it ok to cook it along with my oat bran?
    I don't know. I eat it raw on some things, and cooked in others (like pancakes, MMMMMMmmmMMMM good in pancakes!)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I am also confused about whether cooking flaxseed makes it lose its good nutrients/properties/stuff. I usually just put it on oatmeal (I also put a spoonful on the dogs' dinners - it helps their coats in the winter) but I would love to cook with it (waffles, muffins etc) if it cooking doesn't destroy the nutrients.

Never questioned, but I don't think the cooking is harmful. The Canadian Flax Board recommends the use of ground flax seed as an egg substitute for baking and Natural Ovens of Manitowoc has pushed a flax seed bread for years.

Of course, I, like you, just sprinkle it on the morning oatmeal. I guess I just never gave it thought. It tastes good.

Okay, so I am now taking fish oil and flaxseed oil tablets.

Is this overkill?

Now that I am taking fish oil, is there still a reason to take my flaxseed oil?

I first started taking flaxseed oil to help with menopausal night sweats. Does fish oil do the same thing?

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,

Lynette

If I understand Michelem's post (#15) correctly, you do need both fish oil and flax seed because they have different types of omega 3's. I now take both also.