Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carbon Bars + 'Cross = Ouch

To disable ads, please log-in.

DH TOLD me to warm up on the trainer, but I HATE the trainer and decided instead to go warm up on the roads. I cruised up the pavement from the parking lot, and took a right by a school. Knowing that the pavement isn't good on my 'cross tires, I hopped up to ride on the grass alongside the sidewalk, and BOOM - hit a hole. As I was headed off my bike, I heard a snap and knew this was going to 1) hurt a lot, and 2) damage my bike. I was right on both counts (and I'm still really sore, two days later).

A HUGE thanks to my teammate (and National Champion) - she let me race her BRAND NEW Redline after a pedal swap and a quick lesson on how to work the SRAM shifters. If it weren't for her, I wouldn't have been able to race, so thanks, Julie!

Unfortunately, because my head wasn't really in the game after crashing so hard, and I was riding a bike I didn't know (have to say, not a big fan of the SRAM...), I didn't end up doing that well in the race - finishing 10th out of 12 starters. It's too bad too - the course was FAST and FUN.

Sadly, instead of heading up to the house in Bethel, we had to drive back to MA to buy and install new [aluminum] bars and cables on my bike to prep for the next day's race.

In this case though, a picture is worth more than 1000 words....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bars.JPG 
Views:	905 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	4535  
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

thanks for sharing the picture. Gosh, and you're just a little thing too, aren't you!!

i hope you feel better soon.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    Gosh, and you're just a little thing too, aren't you!!
    I wish . Five foot 10, and about 150 lbs. Not so little... Thankfully, Julie rides a frame just one size smaller than mine, so we worked it out nicely.

Thanks, mimi, for the well wishes!

SheFly

oh, duly noted; you are not tiny, but you're not a heavyweight either.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I love carbon, but would never consider it for bar or stem on my cross bike. At a race yesterday, one of my teammates broke her carbon bar -- during the race. Luckily, she wasn't hurt, but at the right/wrong moment, that break could be disastrous. She bought the bike used from a pro rider and my guess is it probably saw a few crashes in the past, compromising the integrity of the bar. It broke while she was just riding.

Glad you're okay, SheFly!

OUCH!!!!

Glad you are ok and well done for still racing.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

That picture really is worth a 1000 words! OMG!

I'm glad you're okay and that you were able to still race.

Now you've got me wondering what bars are on my bike...

Ouch is right! I hope you aren't hurting too much today. You're pretty tough stuff to get back on Julie's bike and race anyway. How did Sunday's race go?

Yikes! Glad you are ok! Hope the bruises heal up fast. You are so brave to get right back on and race, but I guess that's the best way to do it...don't give yourself time to think about the crash and get nerved up ;-)

'Fessing Up

Thanks, all!

Velogirl - DH put these on my bike to "save weight". And they were used. I just ride whatever he builds... That said, we have BOTH learned an important lesson here - carbon bars are not a good option for 'cross.

I also think the "hole" that I hit would have broken brand new carbon bars. It was more of an "abyss" .

As for getting back on and racing - didn't want to. Mentally, I was all done for the day, if not the weekend. DH, however, wouldn't let me off, and went in search of a bike - his expectation was that I had paid and registered, already had my number pinned on, so I was racing. So, I was kind of "forced" into the race.

Now I know, if I REALLY didn't want to, I could have put my foot down, but sometimes it is easier to just grin and bear it. That said, it was probably good for me to exorcise the demons so that I could hop back in the saddle for the next race.

SheFly (who loves her new ALUMINUM bars!)

Oh my...

That is a scary picture. I'm so glad you are ok. This happened in Biddeford??? Did you end up going to Maine the next day too???

I was scheduled to ride only in Maine on Sunday but did a quick switch to Biddeford on Saturday due to some last minute company coming for the weekend. ( How dare they mess with my cross practice/racing)

I did not have a good race on that fairly simplistic course. Lots of reasons but mainly just not aggressive enough at the start coupled with lack of experience. I was hoping to bring what I learned from Amesbury there, but not sure what my deal was.I think I did all of the laps alone with a very fast group in front and a slower one behind. The solo Oreo creme filling sandwiched between...
    not the optimally fun way to do a cross race I'm learning especially after Amesbury and having some women around me. That is much more fun.
    Today I got myself out in the rain and wet to go toughen my chicken-self up over at a nice town forest with my husband coaching or more like coaxing me down some sandy rocky hills.

Thought for the day: Men are like fine wine . . They start out
    as grapes; and it's up to the women to stomp the crap out of them until
    they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.

I forgot to mention my husband's friend also broke his bike during warm/up right after my race so I just tossed him my bike to use. A quick pedal change out and off he rode. I was happy to help out. I had to defend him a few times from the "nice bar tape" "pretty flowers" comments from the spectators! Here he is right after those up-hill barriers in Biddeford ME.

Thought for the day: Men are like fine wine . . They start out
    as grapes; and it's up to the women to stomp the crap out of them until
    they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Y'ouch!
    Now I know the genesis of Mimi's carbon bar comment in another thread!
    Glad you're okay. I'd been wondering about carbon bars/stems/ (and forks!) on 'cross bikes. Add it to the list of "things that make you go, 'hmmmm'".
    Glad you're okay.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by trigirlpink View Post
    I had to defend him a few times from the "nice bar tape" "pretty flowers" comments from the spectators!

Those who can, do.
    Those who can't are SPECTATORS.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Wow! What a picture! Glad you're okay and didn't get badly injured. Way to get back on the bike and keep going. great lesson on carbon.