Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by zencentury View Post
    WEENIE!
    Um... How so, Slo-Mo? Let's see: 6 days riding an area that I absolutely love but have been riding in for close to 15 years now vs. 6 days in a place that I've never been but have been dreaming of visiting for close to 15 years...

If my decision makes me a weenie, then I'll embrace that title with gusto
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Alright, Listen Up

I have set up this yahoo group to be as secure as possible.

You have to pm me your email addy then I will send you an invite to join. I can't just add you to the group.

I have sent out some invites already with one person joining so far.

Check your junk/spam folder.

This is for everyone involved, even weenies who might only join us for a day or so.

Thank you for your time. You may now return to your regularly scheduled activities.
    Last edited by Zen; 01-03-2008 at 08:21 PM.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I have set up this yahoo group to be as secure as possible.

You have to pm me your email addy then I will send you an invite to join. I can't just add you to the group.

I have sent out some invites already with one person joining so far.

Check your junk/spam folder.

This is for everyone involved, even weenies who might only join us for a day or so.

Thank you for your time. You may now return to your regularly scheduled activities.
    Thanks, Zen! I just joined the group. Let's wait until we have critical mass and then start the planning.

I've got a different ID on yahoo since divingbiker was taken.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    It was in my spam folder!
    All signed up.
    Thanks for doing this, Zen.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Please include this weenie!

This old weenie would like to ride at least part of the way. I'm quite sure that I will need help selecting the appropriate gear and finding the appropriate energy source.

My only problem: Living on the Eastern Shore of Md has tuned my legs to the flats. Any hope for an old flatlander on this trip?

Actually, amithereyet (great name, btw), the C&O Canal towpath is entirely flat. There are a few short rises at some of the locks, but the total elevation over 184.5 miles is less than 200 feet. It's a tad rugged, what with rocks, gravel, tree roots, and holes, but other than that a very easy, enjoyable ride. This site's a great resource for more info.

Oh, and I have the very cool "On the Canal" dvd if anyone's interested in borrowing it before the big trip.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

So now you're an all-around weenie

I want to take a quick head count and I don't want to do it here. If anyone hasn't sent me their email address yet please do so.

Thank you

(Can I still say weenie?)
    Last edited by Zen; 01-07-2008 at 12:06 PM.

I'm looking at hybrids now. I'm liking the Trek 7300, which can be fitted out with racks and stuff. It comes with 35mm tires - will they be suitable for the canal ride?

I'm also wanting to try a Trek Portland, and a Trek FX 7.6. These are 3 very different price points, and actually I'll probably end up buying 2 bikes. One hybrid to use to do the errands, and maybe some groceries. Short trips but carrying stuff. I'll keep using my Pilot for long rides and commuting to work (only once a week or so, but it 's a start). Then I'm thinking of either the Portland or the FX to leave at the summer house so I don't have to haul bikes on 700 mile road trips. I do some long rides, and have to deal with dirt roads on occasion up there so wondering of the 28mm tires on the Portland will work out. But since I would often do 30-40 mile rides, wanted the drop bars.

This must be what its like to be addicted to drugs. Gotta have a new bike!

Quote Originally Posted by amithereyet View Post
    This old weenie would like to ride at least part of the way. I'm quite sure that I will need help selecting the appropriate gear and finding the appropriate energy source.

My only problem: Living on the Eastern Shore of Md has tuned my legs to the flats. Any hope for an old flatlander on this trip?
    Hey if you live on Eastern Shore - let's meet up somewhere in the middle for a ride? Or meet me in Cambridge to preview the Blackwater ride and amenities? I want to get over there next weekend. I'm in lower slower Delaware. Can you believe they sell those white ovals for your back window that say "LSD?"

PM me if you are interested
    Martha

Heehee.
    I've been looking at bikes too.
    That Portland is very pretty with the brown seat and bar tape.
    It has flat bars though, doesn't it?
    That just won't do.

Heehee.
    That just won't do.
    No, here's the Portland - with drop bars
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...land/portland/

It's more like a road bike, has 28C tires - I suppose you could put bigger.
    THere is a pic of a really nice red one over on Bike Journal taken in the snow w/ racks and fenders. I am in love with the red one. It's in the "ice bike" thread, and the poster is brucew if that helps. Maybe in the first 3-4 pages of posts on that thread. I think it's his commuter, and his profile says he's been car free for xxx years..... I covet that bike. Got to find a store that's even open here at this time of year who has one that I can try.

Heehee.
    That just won't do.
    The FX 7.6 has flat bar. I rode it last year but thought it was too much $ to be the errand bike, and with flat bars not good for long rides, so using it to commute I didn't think I'd like that (13 miles one way), and last year it was a double, but I see this year they offer it with a triple. I like triples..... decisions decisions

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/road/fx/76fx/

Last year's model was red.... sigh.

And finally we have the 7300

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...0_series/7300/

I think it will be perfect to run to the post office every day, bank, drugstore, grocery. And it won't mind a dirt road or a little sand now and then. Was thinking I'd just put toe clips on it, then I could ride it wearing whatever shoes I had on. But would I want to ride it down the Canal? That is the question. I'd put bar ends on it I think.

I rode a hybrid on my trip last year and I expected to hate it, but the bikes that the company supplied were really top rate. After a week of those, when I came home to my Pilot I felt like I had to learn to ride all over again.

Just looked at that Portland again, it does have drop bars. And disc brakes. Unfortunately for me, it's cost prohibitive.
    i really like the looks of it.

Just looked at that Portland again, it does have drop bars. And disc brakes. Unfortunately for me, it's cost prohibitive.
    i really like the looks of it.
    $igh. There i$ that problem.....