Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by East Hill View Post
    Yes, the Raleigh is actually too large for me as well...anyone need a nice red Raleigh mixte?
    I have a friend who's been looking for a mixte. What would it take for you to part with it?

Oh, and here's the Mercier that I want to fix up...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	merc_01.JPG 
Views:	1473 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	4498   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	merc_02.JPG 
Views:	1436 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	4499  

Dex, your Mercier looks great!

I already contacted East Hill about the Raleigh...
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Torrilin View Post
    It is where I live *g*. Madison has a lot of women on bikes, and some of 'em are on mixtes. And there's got to be a fair number of people hunting for 'em, or the "women's bikes" with mixte frames wouldn't have the listings vanish so quickly (a few days ago there was a Japanese one listed in town for under $100... it lasted less than 8 hours). A listing for $250+ will stick around a bit. Regular step throughs tend to stick around longer. The Motobecane that's up now for $120 will probably stay up longer. French threading seems to scare Craigslist buyers around here.
    Madison Wisconsin? Are you close to Chicago? I've bid on a couple of "pick up only" mixtes there. $250???? Biking isn't as popular where I live, so I guess it's easier here. Guess there are trade-offs wherever you live. You have bikers, I have rednecks driving big trucks with shotguns.lol
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Quote Originally Posted by dex View Post
    I have a friend who's been looking for a mixte. What would it take for you to part with it?

Oh, and here's the Mercier that I want to fix up...
    Mimitabby beat you to the draw! But if it's too big for her, you're next in line!

If it ends up going your way--it's free to a good home .

Your Mercier is quite lovely!

East Hill

I hope the Raleigh works out for you, Mimi. I know you've been wanting a mixte, and there's no doubt you would give it a great home. But, definitely, if it ends up being too big, let me know.

Everytime I start to think the Mercier is taking up too much room in my place (I live in a one-bedroom apartment, and it stays in the kitchen), I go look at it and can't stand the thought of not taking the prettiness out for a ride one day (when I have the extra money to put into working on it).

If you're ever looking for a good place to fix your mixte up - (you're up here on capitol hill right?) 20/20 Cycles over on East Union has the know how and probably the parts to fix it up and won't over charge you.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Some of you have already seen this bike...

I acquired it this summer from a friend to whom I pledged undying friendship for all eternity in return. Not quite like selling your soul to the Devil, but eternity is a long time. I sure hope she doesn't turn out to be a serial killer.

Anyway, it's a 1976 Bob Jackson, original paint and all. It's a wee tad small for me, so I recently had some Nitto Grand Randonneur bars put on to "stretch" me out a bit more. Those are Cane Creek levers in gum color. I think they look pretty good. The bike was a 7 speed but is now a 6 speed as I needed a lower gear to get up the hill coming home a little more...comfortably...and the other 7 speed cog I had didn't quite fit.

You can also see some other pictures of the bike "before" here on the aforementioned friend's Photobucket site.

I do have a basket, but I probably won't use it until next year. For now it's weatherproof panniers.

(Note: I know the reflectors are dorky, but when I leave for work in the AM it's pretty dark. 'Nuf said.)

Before:

After:

The Grand Randonneur bars and cane creek levers:

Last edited by yellow; 10-05-2007 at 10:53 AM.

Thanks, Eden! Yep, I'm on Capitol Hill and I'm definitely going to make a note of 20/20. I still feel at a loss when it comes to finding a bike shop that I'm comfortable with around here.

You'll like 20/20 - very informal and relaxed (have a seat on the couch, read a book, sometimes have a cup of tea or even a beer). Alex specializes in bike re-use and loves old bikes, but won't put his nose up at my carbon racer either. If he doesn't have it, he'll know where to get it, and order it (whatever it might be).
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

"new" Nishiki

Nishiki Olympic 12. This is it's before picture. As it is now. I like the brown cable housing and I was really surprised when I took off the yucky Cannondale nylon saddle bag and it revealed one of those holders that will hold up my Carradice Barley. (Like the ones on Rivendell website). I'm leaning towards the dark brown handlebar tape and saddle from Brooks. Needs new tires, cable and I have a bottle holder ordered.
    Last edited by uforgot; 05-02-2010 at 05:15 AM.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

nice!!!

and btw, I think I have that same rabbit behind the front wheel.
    "Chisel praise in stone; write criticism in sand."

oh and, bottle holder ordered? What kind? What do you put on a mixte?

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    Torrilin
    Mixtes are not that easy to find. there is not a single one on Ebay nor is there one on Craigslist in my area.
    and about the Brooks brown leather tape? I have it on my bike. it was expensive, but it is WONDERFUL!!!!

Mimi, here's one I found on Seattle craigslist.

mixte

Thanks for the good review on the leather bar tape. I'm going to look into it.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

$80! what a steal!

Quote Originally Posted by sandra View Post
    oh and, bottle holder ordered? What kind? What do you put on a mixte?
    I ordered this one because I don't have cage mounts on my bike:

Minoura Bottle Cage Mount

And you DEFINITELY need to check into these:

Bicycle Bells
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington