Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 71 of 74 FirstFirst ... 21616768697071727374 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1107

To disable ads, please log-in.

For those of you on facebook, I just noticed that Terry posted a prototype of a step-through (not mixte) commuter bike, on their facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Terry-...ng/78075887243 Looks like they are asking for feedback.

She's a beaut with the single top tube!

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/2191566388.html

Edit: Never mind! Posting was flagged
    Last edited by ASammy1; 02-01-2011 at 12:48 PM.
    Andrea

1988 Bridgestone mixte
    2002 Trek 2200
    2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker

I just brought home a 1975 UE18 peugeot mixte - it is just like the one here http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...=peugeot+mixte

The tires are destroyed so I can't really test it out yet but it is in pretty good shape. It has the fenders, attached pump and Generator with lights.

I'm a bit overwhelmed with what to do with it. I think I'll start by either getting tires or looking for some aluminum 27" wheels to replace it with. Thinking of searching garage sales/CL for cheap old ten speeds. Is this a good idea? The wheels are a little rusty and they are steel so I'd really like aluminum ones.

I paid 70 bucks and drove way too far :blush:
    Alison - mama of 2 (8yo and 6yo)
    2009 Independent Fabrication steel Crown Jewel SE
    1995 trek 800 steel MTV

I just have a few questions since I'm starting my first rebuild on my sanwa.

Has anyone changed a mixte from a double to a triple? I'm working on my sanwa that's a double with 10 speeds. I plan to use it to ride with my son using a tagalong for one last year so I'd really like the smaller gears. (then it will be my commuter). I believe the biggest ring is a 53 on it if that matters. Two bike stores are recommending I use a hybrid or mtb crank on it if I do that to control costs.

I also need new tires but they said the wheels are good (although dusted with rust). The only problem is I'd like a quick release wheel on the front for obvious ease of remove since I would transport in my car (no carrier yet). Any thoughts on that since I'd like to switch it to a double? Not that I have to have matching wheels but it would be nice.

Or I could just buy this one and be done with it:http://wausau.craigslist.org/bik/2285719030.html
    They've been trying to sell this for a while so I would hope I could talk them down a bit.

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by mtbdarby; 04-05-2011 at 09:40 PM. Reason: added info
    Dar

Hi Dar

I'm sure TE'ers with personal experience will pitch in here... I've not done this yet on my mixte but I just did it with my Surly Cross Check. Since a triple crankset is wider than a double, you'll also need to replace the bottom bracket (for a longer one) and the front derailleur (for a longer one). Does your bike shop have the right ones to fit your mixte's frame, or can they get them?

Best of luck!
    Rebecca

Riley - custom 2014 Enigma Etape
    Bridget - 2010 Surly Cross Check
    Lorelei - 1979 Puch Princess mixte
    Astrid - 2014 Viking Bromley singlespeed mixte
    Lucy - bespoke 2012 Brompton S1L

Visit my blog: velovoice.blogspot.co.uk

Here are the pictures of my Mixte project. These are before:

Henry is annoyed that I brought ANOTHER bike home

1995 trek 800 steel MTV

Hi Dar! I am in WI too. In fact I just picked up the above project in Milwaukee on Monday (drove more than 3 hours round trip LOL).

I wouldn't get the Schwinn if I wanted a true mixte. I'm pretty sure the Schwinn mixtes only have a single wide top tube that splits off at the seatpost.

I don't know the answer to your other question but I'm guessing that it would be complicated but since the shifters probably don't index, perhaps that gives more flexibility.
    1995 trek 800 steel MTV

Rebecca, yes, I do know that I need those components to make it a triple and be can find parts the correct size.

Hi Warneral - nice mixte! I'm in Wausau these days....there's a nice raliegh mixte in Sun Prairie on ebay right now

I thought I had posted pix of the sanwa last fall but I can't find them. She's orange which is a big plus to me, lol. Silly I know, but I love the color.

The estimates are about $100 to change it to a triple. The rest will be about a hundred as well. Seeing as how I don't know how to do the work myself, although I could figure out some of it, I'd like it done fast so I can get her on the road!
    Dar

I love orange too!

Are you sure you need the triple? I do understand being weighed down my a kiddo on a trailer I am still trying to figure out what I'll do about that - probably use my old trek mountain bike. My kiddos are 6 & 8 but still not strong for distances. B/c they weigh 50lb and under, we can use the trailer even though they are getting too tall! I wish they still sold those 26" trailer bikes!

That Raleigh (of course I had to look it up) is nice! It is actually near Racine in pleasant prairie. MY DH would be ver unhappy for me to buy yet another bike so I will restrain myself. It apperas to have aluminum wheels (early 80's) and I bet I could buy it, sell this one and have an easier/cheaper go with it all. But I'm really liking the looks of this one so I think I'll just slowly do my project and hopefully I won't spend too much$

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=p5197.c0.m619
    1995 trek 800 steel MTV

Alison - it was late last night was I was searching ebay so Sun Prairie stuck in my head for some reason, lol. It is a nice bike..... btw, I used to live down by you in Oregon!

See, I have too many bikes. GASP! Did I just admit that??? I do have a mtb and a diamondback hybrid which is what I currently use with the tagalong (ok, and I have a road bike). My son is 8 and I was considering a tandem, but since a tandem would be outgrown in a couple years anyway I thought it would make more sense to fix the mixte and use that and sell the hybrid because its so heavy. I could probably make due with a double but the hybrid is a triple and I use just about every gear when I'm out with him. Or I could just sell the mixte and keep the hybrid but that just seems wrong
    Dar

haha I know what you mean. Last year we went on a family bike ride on the new path in fitchburg and I was using my trek navigator with my daughter on the back. It was a heavy bike and I got really mad b/c of how many people who were passing me. I have considered strapping her on the back of my trek 1000 roadbike but am afraid I wouldn't have enough stability on gravel trails with a 6yo on my back. drop bars + clipless + gravel + tagalong probably not a good idea!
    1995 trek 800 steel MTV

I have a trek 2100 for my road bike and thats why I haven't attached him to that. Plus he's at 60 pounds now and doesn't want to ride his own bike (that's my goal for him this summer) so him and the tagalong are HEAVY. Plus I like sitting more upright with him on and while I'm running errands around town.

I used to work in Fitchberg I remembered when they first put in the paved trail....I'm due for a visit. I'll have to let you know when I head that way so we can go for a ride
    Dar

Definitely! That would be nice

DH and I like to ride the rails to trails and since we can be travelling over 30mi, we have to do some sort of tandem situation.

Have you done the elroy/spart trail? We LOVE that trail
    1995 trek 800 steel MTV

Ok, I decided to keep this a double and get new quick release wheels that aren't rusted and, of course, that I can easily remove. My new quote is $280! And that doesn't include a seat or fenders. The price includes:
    handlebars
    stem
    grips
    brakes
    brake lever
    brake cable and housing
    shifters
    wheels
    tires
    tune-up
    labor

Does this sound reasonable? The quote was $180 to have a tuneup, new tires and change to a triple so I was thinking they would be about the same cost. Then I went back and noticed he didn't quote the new handlebars on the first quote like I thought he had. I was hoping to keep it under $200 since I'm not doing the work myself...maybe I should try? Or just keep the handlebars, shifting and brakes as is and just replace the wheels, tires and get a tune-up? Any thoughts? What should I prioritize from a budget standpoint? TIA!
    Dar

I'm seriously considering selling my Lagnano. It is NOS and was built from scratch. It's gorgeous gols and has the swooping curved mixty bars. We simply have not ridden it.

I paid over $400 for it to be built from scratch if that is any help.
    "Chisel praise in stone; write criticism in sand."