Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 70 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2060666768697071727374 LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1107

To disable ads, please log-in.

My birthday is coming up.
    just sayin'
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Well, I finally caved and took this home with me:

There's a bit more rust on it than I want - but it's supposed to be my beater bike that I ride to the store or the library and don't worry if it gets stolen.

So I am sitting on my hands to stop myself from buying it all sorts of things and fixing the rust. The guy I got it from mentioned that home depot had a metallic blue paint that was about the right shade that he had been thinking of using to touch it up. I may just do that - enough to stop the rust, but not strip the entire frame and repaint it - because then I would be tempted by red or orange, and I actually really like the blue.
    Last edited by Cataboo; 11-16-2010 at 03:19 PM.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    cataboo- that's a REALLY pretty bike!! It's hard to not want to strip it down and fix it up, huh? I bought a "beater bike" but wanted to make it pretty so it wound up being a very expensive beater.
    I'll bet even if you just painted the rust spots it would look like a brand new bike!! Congrats!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    cataboo- that's a REALLY pretty bike!! It's hard to not want to strip it down and fix it up, huh? I bought a "beater bike" but wanted to make it pretty so it wound up being a very expensive beater.
    I'll bet even if you just painted the rust spots it would look like a brand new bike!! Congrats!
    Yeah, every bike that I've tried to have be my beater or errand bike has ended up being fixed up beyond that - the surly turned out to be xtr & 105 level, now big red has turned out to be 105 level with carbon cranks- and I guess Scar wasn't so nice, but my Mom latched on to him So then I again, need a beater bike.

So on the mixte - for now, that blue saddle amuses the heck out of me, so I'll try to make it work, it needs to be slid back. I'll leave the drivetrain alone, because it works fine... I need better grips, but I think I'll just ask for some cheap pleather ones for christmas instead of the pretty leather ones I've been eying... And it needs a rack. The 27" wheels on it are fine, so I am really trying hard to not get it 700c wheels (I have a spare front wheel that would work - I would just have to get a rear wheel with whatever the right spacing is...). I want pretty colored tires, and there's some 700c ones that I think would be great, but... I should make myself deal with some not so pretty 27" ones, even though the tires on it are fine.

But if I could strip it and paint it all... And do everything else I am so tempted to do...

Love it Cataboo!

that saddle has to go! how long can you sit on it?
    nice find though.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    that saddle has to go! how long can you sit on it?
    nice find though.
    I don't know - I have too much going on and on the to do list. I stuck it in my shed and haven't let myself go visit it so that I don't go strip it and paint it red or orange or something and buy it all new pieces.

There are several mixtes on ebay right now.

Who knew Mongoose made a mixte!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1156
    "Chisel praise in stone; write criticism in sand."

another Mercian Reynolds 531 mixte on UK Ebay

Rebecca

Riley - custom 2014 Enigma Etape
    Bridget - 2010 Surly Cross Check
    Lorelei - 1979 Puch Princess mixte
    Astrid - 2014 Viking Bromley singlespeed mixte
    Lucy - bespoke 2012 Brompton S1L

Visit my blog: velovoice.blogspot.co.uk

Thinking of getting this one: http://baltimore.craigslist.org/bik/2165140745.html

Did a bit of research--this is a 1987 model, cheapest one on the lot, so to speak. Hi-ten steel frame, inexpensive components, heavy (catalog puts it at 29 pounds). $50 might be a bit overpriced.

But it's a Miyata (same as my touring bike, which is going strong at nearly 21 years old), and a mixte, and I'm a weak-willed person.

Sarah

For the DC or Baltimore area, $50 is cheap.

No kidding. I always wonder who these people are who pick up amazing used bikes from Craigslist for a song. You don't see anything in this area for under $50 unless it has Barbie decals on it.

You have to be fast. I've gotten a couple good deals on craigslist.

I was thinking I should put my mixte back up, because I haven't ridden or done anything to her - but I just looked at the pictures - she's pretty.

Alas, it is not to be. DH had called the seller on Tuesday about the bike and arranged to go see it yesterday (my birthday), but when he called yesterday to confirm, the woman had already sold it.

Oh well. I was a bit ambivalent about it anyway.

Sarah