Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 74 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by xeney View Post
    I have four mixtes but I only have photos of three of them ... the fourth is a piece of crap that I'm going to give away eventually.
    On Grant Petersen's Tips For Happy Riding, he says "Don't ever describe any bike, no matter how inexpensive or dilapidated, as "a piece of crap." I kinda felt bad that when I ordered my bike from him, I had called my old commuting bike a piece of crap. He didn't yell at me or anything, but now I try to be a bit nicer to the not-so-gently-used bikes.

I have four mixtes but I only have photos of three of them ... the fourth is a piece of crap that I'm going to give away eventually.

Nishiki Sport, which started off exactly like one of East Hill's only I just couldn't leave it alone:

"Flying Dutchman" ... only don't look that up, because it is not either of the vintage bikes sold under that name; this is a German bike sold by a local bike shop in Los Angeles in the 70s, and they sold it with custom decals. About half the components on it were replaced some time in the 80s, I think. I bought it for $40 at a thrift store:

Puch Pathfinder. This picture does not do it justice but unfortunately I don't have a photo of it in its current state. I think I beat East Hill out of this one on eBay ... sorry! It is a new old stock frame, and it is gorgeous. I have it built up with Nitto bullhorns and a very pretty Nitto stem, a honey Brooks saddle, a Sugino single speed crank, and track wheels. It still lacks tires, cables, and a front brake. It also needs a new bottom bracket even though it was never ridden. I put the project on hold when I stopped riding at five months pregnant, but I really need to throw it in the car and get it down to the bike shop for the bottom bracket work:

First off, yes, how are you doing, Xeney? Glad to see you back!

I really like the changes you've made on the Sport mixte, especially the saddle. I still prefer drops on all my bikes, but I like the colour of the grips on yours. The original black foam on mine is comfortable, but makes the bike look oh so heavy.

That Puch is a real beauty! But, sad for the eBay seller, I hate to fight with a fellow forum member over a bike if I know that someone I know wants it . We need to see some updated photos, even if it's not complete .

East Hill

Hi, everybody! I am doing well although I still have not been back on a bike ... just not enough time when someone else can stay with the baby. My mom is coming for two weeks tomorrow and my husband and I are hoping to do some mountain biking while she's here, and if I can ever get time to pump up the tires and lube the chain on the pink mixte I am going to start using it to run a couple of regular errands on the days when my husband is home to stay with Penelope. I have also found a couple of new cycling friends who also have young babies, so I am hoping that we can coordinate some riding time eventually. And maybe eventually have some kid and trailer rides together.

And Penelope, of course, is just awesome.

Regarding pieces of crap: eh, Grant Peterson is not the boss of me and this bike is a piece of crap. It is another Nishiki mixte but it is remarkably inferior to the pink one, plus it is very banged up. I think it's structurally unsound which is why I haven't passed it along. We have partially stripped it for parts, though -- the wheels were okay and the crank was salvageable.

Regarding pieces of crap: eh, Grant Peterson is not the boss of me and this bike is a piece of crap. It is another Nishiki mixte but it is remarkably inferior to the pink one, plus it is very banged up. I think it's structurally unsound which is why I haven't passed it along. We have partially stripped it for parts, though -- the wheels were okay and the crank was salvageable.
    Glad to see that you and the baby are doing well . You must plan on getting her on a bike as soon as she can keep her head up and all that good stuff!

Are you talking about the later Nishiki mixte, the one with the odd bulge on the side? It's strange how we both wound up with the same Nishiki mixtes, same colours, and kept the same one, and got rid of the same one .

East Hill

Yeah, that is the one. Mine has also had a rough life on top of its unfortunate appearance.

Penelope turned out to be a tiny little thing so we aren't sure she'll be big enough to wear a helmet when she's a year old, unfortunately. We had hoped to be able to get her into the trailer a little earlier than one year, even, but then she turned out to be itty bitty so we are probably not going to push it. She is quite strong in spite of being so small, so you never know, but I don't think we'll find a helmet to fit her until she's at least two, anyway. (That is unfortunately true of most babies.)

... but then she turned out to be itty bitty so we are probably not going to push it. She is quite strong in spite of being so small, so you never know, but I don't think we'll find a helmet to fit her until she's at least two, anyway. (That is unfortunately true of most babies.)
    A wise decision...

East Hill

Xeney, did you ever see the congratulations thread (that I started) about your having a baby? we'd love to see pictures of her (besides the one you already shared)
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Gotta jump in here with a Grand Jubilee Motobecane I fixed up for my mother. She's scared to ride it so I've put the road bars back on and will use it to commute. I love mixtes and enjoy seeing everyones.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0676.jpg 
Views:	5719 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	4566  

What a beautiful Motobecane! We gotta teach you to take the photo with the other side showing, though .

(we love looking at the drivetrains...)

East Hill

Man, I wanna mixte!
    (gonna ride one this weekend)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

You're right East Hill, how's this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0697.jpg 
Views:	2688 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	4568  

Quote Originally Posted by Julie V View Post
    You're right East Hill, how's this?
    beautiful!! Ok, now I want fenders BTW, welcome to TE
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Thanks Trek for the welcome, it's nice to see what the girls are doing bike-wise!

Julie, that is SUCH a beautiful bike!

(did I mention that I want a mixte? did I? Huh? Huh? don't ask me where I'll put it, though...)

Knot-already-has-enough-bicycles-and-must-exercise-restraint
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Knot, how many bicycles DO you have? I now have TWO!
    "Chisel praise in stone; write criticism in sand."