Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 74 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    Torrilin
    Mixtes are not that easy to find. there is not a single one on Ebay nor is there one on Craigslist in my area.
    and about the Brooks brown leather tape? I have it on my bike. it was expensive, but it is WONDERFUL!!!!
    No they're not most places. I never even saw one growing up.

In Madison they're not super rare. If you head downtown, chances are good you'll spot one or two parked at a bike rack. Good luck trying to get one on Craigslist tho... they get snapped up fast unless they're priced like a new bike. If it's Japanese, it might get snapped up even then.

Quote Originally Posted by sandra View Post
    whew. I feel better. That one is much more expensive than mine.
    Well, I'll make you feel great. I paid $199 BIN for my Bianchi. Shipping extra.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Quote Originally Posted by Torrilin View Post
    No they're not most places. I never even saw one growing up.

In Madison they're not super rare. If you head downtown, chances are good you'll spot one or two parked at a bike rack. Good luck trying to get one on Craigslist tho... they get snapped up fast unless they're priced like a new bike. If it's Japanese, it might get snapped up even then.
    Huh? I don't understand? Maybe it's where you live, but I find them all the time on craigslist. The one I purchased last weekend ($40)had been on there since Sept. 19th. I just posted four that I found on ebay, and two nishikis that I was watching ended yesterday. Like I said, you can't search for mixte. These people with them in their garages have no idea WHAT they are.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Thank you. I'm catching my breath now. I made a snap decision on that bike. I loved it. I haven't even seen it yet, but I'm trying not to have buyers remorse.
    "Chisel praise in stone; write criticism in sand."

Like I said, you can't search for mixte.
    I did. and the only one listed was the red one that I just bought. But, I loved it and it seemed perfect. This guy sells a lot of vintage bikes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-BICYCLE-...QQcmdZViewItem

Thank you. I'm catching my breath now. I made a snap decision on that bike. I loved it. I haven't even seen it yet, but I'm trying not to have buyers remorse.
    If you love it, and I do too since my favorite color is red, then that's all that matters! Know what I like about it? It's got the single tube instead of the split tube. I haven't yet seen a mixte in person like that. An unusual mixte, now THAT'S classic! I still think a black brooks would look really great...am I helping you spend enough money yet????-
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

It's got the single tube instead of the split tube.
    Please explain. I don't know enough to know the difference.

My black Brooks B67 would have to come off of my road bike to go on here. hummm. I might just do it!

I did. and the only one listed was the red one that I just bought. But, I loved it and it seemed perfect. This guy sells a lot of vintage bikes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-BICYCLE-...QQcmdZViewItem
    I guess what I meant was you won't get many hits if you only search for mixte. You have to dig, but they are always there...
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

My black Brooks B67 would have to come off of my road bike to go on here. hummm. I might just do it!
    The top tube, the part you step over, isn't split.

From Sheldon once again:

A variant on the mixte uses a single, full sized top tube running from the upper head tube to the seat tube, but retains the middle set of stays.

You have 3 sets of seat stays, back by the wheel, and THAT makes it a mixte. Some people think any step-through is a mixte, but it needs the three stays.

Welcome to the club, and ENJOY! I want to see pics when you get it. And you already have a black brooks...must have been meant to be!
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

A classic mixte style has twin toptubes. You can tell in a photo if it's the classic style because the tubes will be thinner.

If you look at the photos of my Raleigh you will easily see the twin tubes.

East Hill

where the top tube is in a std bike, on the mixte there are usually two skinny tubes. The one you bought only has one??
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I see! That is sort of weird that it's not split.

Ok, we need a NAME for my special girl. and yes, I'll get pics when it gets here.

LOL. I guess I didn't realize what I bought. I wonder WHY it is a single top tube and if that means it is older or newer, etc.

What about Lotus?

Quote Originally Posted by uforgot View Post
    Huh? I don't understand? Maybe it's where you live, but I find them all the time on craigslist. The one I purchased last weekend ($40)had been on there since Sept. 19th. I just posted four that I found on ebay, and two nishikis that I was watching ended yesterday. Like I said, you can't search for mixte. These people with them in their garages have no idea WHAT they are.
    It is where I live *g*. Madison has a lot of women on bikes, and some of 'em are on mixtes. And there's got to be a fair number of people hunting for 'em, or the "women's bikes" with mixte frames wouldn't have the listings vanish so quickly (a few days ago there was a Japanese one listed in town for under $100... it lasted less than 8 hours). A listing for $250+ will stick around a bit. Regular step throughs tend to stick around longer. The Motobecane that's up now for $120 will probably stay up longer. French threading seems to scare Craigslist buyers around here.
    Last edited by Torrilin; 10-05-2007 at 10:17 AM.

Why do I feel like I'm just changing my feet in my mouth?

Oh, mine didn't fit. Hey, yours is a mixte with a single top tube!

I'm going to do some research. I've seen the single top tubes on ebay before and wondered if they were newer. Now I'm intrigued again, because it certainly IS a mixte. (3 rear stays remember). When you get it, see if you can find a serial number on it. Do a search on Lotus serial numbers and see if you can get a date on it. I didn't have any luck on my Bianchi, but I've had several bikes that I could even get the month they were manufactured and where!
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington