Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nature Calls... Too Often

To disable ads, please log-in.

Since you all helped so much with my nutrition question... I must ask...
    How do you long distance riders (OR short distance riders for that matter) keep from having to pee so often? I especially find it a problem the last 15 miles of my rides regardless of distance but it can't be all psychological - I really gotta go! am I drinking too much?

I'm a mountain bike girl, so I suck up my performance anxiety and go. There really isn't such a thing as drinking too much, well except in the case of hyponatremia but you'd have to really work at that. Man, I've never thought about that before. Maybe I don't want a road bike. Then again, trails are fond of reminding you how bad you need to pee. "Ooooof, rock garden, ugh, gotta pee!"

love and cookies
    -HillBill

I road ride but usually go along quite country routes where there's plenty of hedges/ fields I can dive into. I very rarely ride for more than about 10 miles in built up environment, but have developed a bit of local knowledge for potential cafes etc I can call in at that don't mind.

It feels like a it 's a bit of a balancing act and my riding partner feels the same -the need to drink, but not wanting to pee too much.

BTW do you generally find you pee a lot off the bike. Just lately I've found I needed to pee all the time!! I'd go before I left the house, walk the 12 mins down the hill into town and need to go again. I tried reducing how much a drank, but made no difference and was even wondering if I'd developed some strange psycolgical condition that required me to test out all the towns rests rooms on a regular basis.

Turns out the problem was my lower back!!! I went to the physio with back pain and one of her first few questions was how often to do I need the loo and then it hit me. All the time! She did some work on me and literally as soon as I left the centre it stopped. It was only then I that I realised just how often I'd been getting the desire to pee. Thank you so much nice-physio-lady. I no longer feel like I'm a dog looking for a lampost

on most road rides and centuries (gosh, can't believe I'm saying that, till last year the longest I'd done were metrics) I can deal with 20 miles between rest stops. Must admit that I think it was day 5 of the AIDS Lifecyle that on the central coast I and a bunch of other riders created our own rest stop behind some trees, we were out in the middle of nowhere and I knew I was never going to make it, wasn't even a town for 15-18 miles.

Also the weather is key, if it's hot and or you're working real hard you're going to sweat more of it out.

But don't forget the bike, if your a roadie and your bike is beating you up that can be it. On ALC4 my ex (at that time current) said that she ALWAYS felt she had to go. She was riding a Cannondale that was so stiff she felt every gum wrapper it went over. That bike was super fast but she said from day 2 her kidneys hurt. I understand since then she's gotten steel. So if you've ruled out medical reasons I'd start thinking comfort.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Under "normal" circumstances I can usually go about 2 hours between pit stops. But sometimes, not sure whether it's elevation or low humidity or what, I have to go CONSTANTLY, like every 30 minutes. At El Tour de Tucson last year, I stopped at every single rest stop the last 40 miles because I HAD to go. It was not psychological, it was not my bike fit. I had the same problem in Yellowstone this year, and was always ducking into the bushes. Maybe I do over-hydrate (usually 1 bottle an hour), but I still think excessive nature breaks beat dehydration.

aka_kim ..... but I still think excessive nature breaks beat dehydration.

that's true, you can't stay hydrated if it's got nowhere to go
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

i'm so glad i'm not the only one!!!!! i plan my town loops/routes around the national park visitor center so i can go there! (i take the bike right into the bathroom so i don't have to worry about anyone stealing it!

when with hubby on "out in the desert" rides.. i'll stop and use a cactus to pee behind! lol!

ya..... sometimes i no sooner get started and i gotta go! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Hey KTeach

I'm a mtb-er, but used to road ride as well (can't beat the thrill of the downhill!). I've done many many rides over 4 hours in duration without needing a pitstop, and I'll drink 2-3 litres on such a ride. I put it down to what I'm using - it's an electrolyte and carbohydrate drink (don't know if you have it - it's called 'replace' over here, made by horley's). Apparently the electrolytes help (my story, sticking with...)

It could also have something to do with the fact that I refuse to lose time by stopping and eventually the need just goes away, or if I'm near enough to the finish line (in a race) it gives me extra motivation to find that extra effort

My first suggestion though, would be to try out different hydration formulas.

Good luck!

wgtngrl ..... if I'm near enough to the finish line (in a race) it gives me extra motivation to find that extra effort

oh, so THAT'S how sprinters do it! "Outa my way, I gotta go!"
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

My only tip?

If you have to pee often , don't buy bibs!!!

Originally posted by caligurl

when with hubby on "out in the desert" rides.. i'll stop and use a cactus to pee behind! lol!

Several years ago, I did a seven day ride across AZ. Found out that peeing behind a cactus wearing day-glo yellow was an interesting concept. You get skilled at listening for cars and judging how far away they are...
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

so having lived in AZ I just had this image pop into my head - riding the Harley out in the desert and see something day-glo yellow crouched down behind a cactus and thinking to myself "self? did I just see what I Think I saw? .......nah - couldn't be!"
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama
    Several years ago, I did a seven day ride across AZ. Found out that peeing behind a cactus wearing day-glo yellow was an interesting concept. You get skilled at listening for cars and judging how far away they are...
    yes... you do! lol! the other day i was on my SHORT ride.. but it was windy... and on the way out too me FOREVER... i had to pee sooooOOOOOO bad... i saw a spot that had some dirt raised up..... i was just pulling my shorts up when a car went by... PHEW! i like it better when hubby's watching for cars and holding my bike.. i was on my own for this ride! i've learned not to drink anything past 2:00 on work day (ya.. i know.. not the best concept!)

For some reason, I don't seem to need to go as often on road rides as I do mountain biking. I always joke about how much DNA I've left out in the desert! Road riding in the city provides lots of parks with restrooms to visit, and I know which ones I can take my bike into so that I don't get ripped off while I'm taking care of business. In the desert, we have to drink, drink, and drink some more, so we go, go, go stome more. What goes in, must come out.

Ok. I have a question. I've never had to truly rough it while camping and in the past, I've been able to generally successfully hold things till I made a real restroom, but does everyone just squat and pee? Or are there tricks?

I've attempted to squat before, but I have bad balance issues and will end up dribbling on myself. Needless to say, not fun. :/

So, how do you all do it?

Mel