Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Looking for a Woman's Cylocross Bike!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi there,
    I am a new rider, looking for a good cylocross bike for both exercise and possibly racing in the future. Any ideas on a good brand or bike out there? How do I find the right bike fit for me? I'm medium sized, 5'7'', and looking for something in the price range of $1000-$1500. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

Personally - I don't know of any women's specific cross bikes. All of my bikes are "guy bikes" I like Ridley cyclocross bikes - check out their web site - and possibly your local dealer. Make sure you get the right size - size matters!!!

debi

Redline seems to offer a great bike at a really good price. I recently bought the Redline Conquest Pro (MSRP $1600, but I got a team discount from our LBS because my husbands on the shop-sponsored team), and they have less expensive more entry-level bikes available, too.

I would recommend going to your LBS and trying a few cross bikes to see what you like and what fits you best.

I just got a Cannondale X6 and have only done 3 rides/75 miles on it so far, but I love it! It's in your price range too.

Good luck in your search for a bike!
    Sarah

Surly Cross Check. $930. www.surlybikes.com

Very pleased with mine.

I'm 5'8" and ride a 52 cm.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I'm also a new rider and recently got to 2008 Redline Conquest... it's a fun bike to ride and it's one of the cheaper cross bikes out there... their model one up from that seemed really nice too and a lot of people have it for racing (Conquest Pro) which I believe is still within your range.

Goodluck shopping!

You might also want to consider weight when you are shopping... Depending on how much you will be lifting/carrying your bike, you want it to be a little bit on the lighter side. Of course, this likely only applies if you are going to be racing!

Have fun shopping, and like others have said, be sure to get fit properly, because size DOES matter!

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Thank You!!!

Thank you for all of your replies!!! I really appreciate it! Any idea how heavy the Surly cross check is? Do racers use that bike or is it too heavy to pick up after an hour of cylocross? THANKS!

I haven't weighed my Cross Check, but before I put racks and fenders and other commuter-goodies on her she felt about the same as my other steel cyclocross, which the shop weighed at 21.5 lbs with everything on it.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson