Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which pedals?

Tulsa

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi, Beth!

I live in Sand Springs, we're neighbors!

Have you ridden the new trail to Skiatook yet? I haven't but would like to. I'm wondering if there is anywhere off the trail to eat breakfast at. My husband and I ride on Sunday mornings to breakfast at Utica Square.

As far as pedals go, I have tried Looks and Time and prefer Shimano. I had knee surgery four years ago and need a pedal that is easy to get out of. My Shimanos are adjustable so I keep them on the easiest setting. I did a few "Arties" too when I first got my pedals, most of us do. You'll get the hang of it no matter which pedal you end up with.

Kenda

I just switched from Speedplay X2s to Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL (PD-6620).

While I loved the float of the Speedplays, and they were absolutely effortless to clip out of and into (friends with one-sided pedals sometimes fumble at traffic lights to clip back in; not me in the X2s), I found myself developing 'hot spots' on longer rides (45+ miles or so). Folks claim that the Speedplay pedal has a large platform because of the way the cleat clips in with the pedal, but I could definitely tell I was on lollipops and my feet really weren't supported.

After getting really, really painful hotspots during a Half IM, I decided the Speedplays had to go. Folks at the LPS recommended the Look Keo CroMo (which you can find on sale online), but I wanted the widest platform so I got the Shimano SPD-SLs. So far I really like the supportive and wide platform. Not nearly as much float as the Speedplays, but still a bit with the stock cleats. I'm still getting the hang of clipping in since the pedals are one-sided. Sometimes I have to look down to ensure I'm clipping in right. And despite having the tension set to the lowest setting (I think), it takes some effort to clip out.

There is a 105 version of the newest SPD-SLs for 2008, the PD-5610. Good bargain, IMO. Weighs slightly more than the Ultegras but cost considerably less.

Hi Kenda! No, I haven't ridden on the trail to Skiatook yet. Actually, I haven't ridden much in the past couple months because I became so afraid of my Speedplay pedals. I went to the LBS (I would name which one I use but I don't know if that is against the rules) and bought Look classics yesterday. So far I have only used them on the trainer but I really think that I'll like them more than the Speedplays. It came down to the Shimano SPD's and the Looks and in the end the Looks won due to the weight and since my husband uses Looks I figured he would approve of the choice. Oh, and the LBS guys suggested the Looks.

My husbands keeps trying to talk me into the Wednesday night ride but since I've only been riding since March I don't think I'm up to it just yet. Plus I need to get the feel of my new pedals and overcome my fear of clipless.

Thank you everyone who gave me input on which pedals you prefer. It really helped in making my decision.

Beth

Hi, Beth,

If I can get someone in my family to go with me, I might try the Skiatook trail today. I'll let you know how it is if we go. We usually ride the Katy trail on Sunday and Riverpark on Wed. I get tired of the Riverpark traffic.

My LBS wants me to try the Looks too. I'm looking at new bikes and may switch over to Looks with the new bike. I tried them a few years ago and hated them but I was told they changed the pedals and they are much easier to use now.

Which bike shop do you use in Tulsa? I use primarily T-Town but am going to the Trek store to take a peak at their bikes too.

Let me know how you like yours.

Kenda

Too funny! I use T-Town as well. The guys there are soooo nice and helpfull. Plus after purchasing my bike there I get 10% off anything I buy. That really helps out. I have found the people at the Trek store to be unfriendly and it just feels a little too much like shopping at a big department store while every time I go into T-Town they remember my name and are so incredibly helpfull.

I would love to hear how you like the Skiatook trail. I am always looking for a new place to ride. I love the trail down the Creek turnpike because it is usually somewhat shaded and there are less people on it. The traffic on the riverside trail is what keeps my husband and I from going that way. Plus last night I noticed they have a bunch of it torn up. There have been too many times that I had a close call due to someone with headphones on or just not paying attention while riding the riverside trail. Other than that my husband and I have gotten into riding out south of Glenpool on some of the more rural roads.

Hope you have a good ride today!

Beth

Well, we ended up riding the Katy Trail from River City Park in Sand Springs to Utica Square for lunch. The weather looked a little too ominous to ride to Skiatook. As it was, we were poured on but it was still fun. I'll take rain over extreme heat any day! We rode 25 miles. My daughter ran a 5K yesterday and was beat. I'm no stud and am trying to get my mileage up. My 18-year old son did the MS150 a couple of weeks ago. I sure would like to do it but am nowhere close. I'd like to do a metric century within the next 6 months or so. How far do you guys ride? My kids and husband race mountain bikes so they don't want to do distance riding with me.

I always use Jake at T-Town. He sold me my mountain bike too a few years ago. I'm not having much luck with road bikes though and will likely have to have a frame custom built. Jake has been very patient with me but I don't think he's going to find anything that fits me right.

Kenda

The most I've ridden at one time is 32 miles down the Creek Turnpike. My husband and I usually ride 20-30 miles each ride depending on time and daylight. In general I would like to get a couple 30 mile rides in each week and then if time permits a little longer ride, say 45, on the weekend. But like I said, I haven't gone that far yet.

I'll have to check into that trail in Skiatook. I'm always looking for another trail since right now the Creek is the only "trail" I really like.

welll!

well gosh girls, im your neighbor too!! have you been riding lately (hopefully not TOO recently bc of the horrible ice!!) whats this new skiatook trail?? i haven't heard of it? does it just connect to the katy??
    "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." - Isaiah 41:10

strength to beat those neverending flats!

by the way, i used to have shimanos and i just went to BEAUTIFUL look keos. (baby blue )

anyway, i loved my shimanos, wen i first started riding, DH made them SO easy to clip out of. I almost had to do nothing bc it was so easy. Well, i got my keos and i was so used to the motion of clipping out of the shimanos, that the keos were easy after a few rides. i had to just keep practicing on my trainer until i got the exact amount of "yank" to get my shoe out. do you have a trainer you can practice on? it helps for sure
    "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." - Isaiah 41:10

strength to beat those neverending flats!

Clip to Clipless Transition

Hey you guys,
    I haven't posted for a while, but we are getting dangerously toward spring (ha ha) up here in the wilds of the Northwest - although we had snow in the east of Seattle area last night - I did manage to get out for a ride yesterday - awesome. Chilly Hilly is almost upon us!

But I digress..... I was up at REI yesterday, and after some deliberation, have decided to go clipless with Crank Brothers Candies, after always (years and years) of riding with toe clips. So, I'm very used to pulling my foot backwards and out. Any suggestions on getting used to turning out rather than pulling backwards to disengage? Can I assume that it will be just getting used to turning out, rather than pulling my foot back? Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch!
    Cyn

Smile

I have shimanos that came with subzero and road shoes, but I think they have mountain bike cleats on them( they are the little double ones, not Look tyoe).
    I have mine on lightest tension, as I have Chronic fatigue and its hard to get my nerves to respond in time.
    I spent hours on trainer, watching the TOUR while practicing and also, out side leaning on a tree( for fresh air!) to do mine.
    I also unclip right side first but still, after a year, forget that you cant unclip to the inside of bike.
    I havent fallen in about two months, thankfully, ever since I loosened them up as far as they could go.
    But getting new pedals sounds good!
    Conquering illness, one step at time.