Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

September 30 Rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

I drove down to the Cape Cod Canal for 2 hours of solo riding. Parked on the Buzzards Bay end of the canal, rode the 7 miles to Scusset Beach along the canal, then headed north into Plymouth via Old Plymouth Rd., 3A, Hedges Pond Rd., and Long Pond Rd. Returned to the canal on Bourne Pond Rd. and Head of the Bay Rd. 25.6 miles in 1:53 hours. Even took my camera and got a few pics. Check out the fishermen on bikes with their poles mounted on the bikes via pvc pipe. My one disappointment is that I didn't find any cranberry bogs. Oh well, incentive to go back.
    Last edited by DebW; 10-19-2008 at 05:33 PM.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Wow- how pretty!! I'd love to ride that trail with you- it looks gorgeous!

I fought heavily with a 23 mph wind today (gusts up to 35). Gave up after 12 miles. Just didn't have the energy. Disappointing, but there's always another day to ride (and hopefully a less windy one).
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Well, its the 1st October here DownUnder... but my Sept 30th ride yesterday afternoon was a gentle 21kms... gentle as in I took over an hour to do it. Just what my legs needed after a hard ride on Saturday.

It was our quiet country road, so I tried out riding with an MP3 - played so quietly I could still hear birds, traffic, wind... and it was such a pleasure to cruise along and sing with Melissa (Etheridge) - dunno what the livestock in the paddocks thought, but I really enjoyed it.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post

I fought heavily with a 23 mph wind today (gusts up to 35). Gave up after 12 miles. Just didn't have the energy. Disappointing, but there's always another day to ride (and hopefully a less windy one).
    I too, had to fight wind today and it won. Sustained 35 mph with gusts to 43 mph was not my idea of fun, let alone it being dangerous. Called it a day after fifteen miles.
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

2010 Kelson custom/Brooks B17 Imperial
    2009 Masi/Terry Damselfly
    2004 Specialized Dulce Elite/Terry Damselfly
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara/unknown saddle
    1987 Bridgestone 100/Terry Liberator X

Just a short ride of about 20 miles. The weather was perfect, sunny and perfect temps. Still not feeling very well since getting those IV antibiotics about 2 weeks ago.

Sigh. I think I have had my last bike ride for a little while. Pulled a muscle in my arm, developed what I think is pretty bad tendonitis in my elbow, and hurt my wrist all in the same arm. I can't lean into the bars, it's too painful. That and on Wed. I have a series of doctor appt's for another separate ailment that will likely result in a bit of outpatient surgery. I am hoping I can get on the bike by the end of October. I can sort of ride around on the mountain bike I guess but the only level miles I could get are around 4 if I go back and forth - one-handed leverage on the hills just isn't working. I can't lift the bike to go somewhere flat without re-hurting the arm. I could run. I could do a little upkeep to the bike.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    I rode 25 miles today with winds 9-12 mph (felt like 50 mph!). It was sunny, the humidity was low and I really enjoyed taking Jada out for a spin. I did encounter a combine and he wasn't willing to move over so I had to hop off the bike, stand in the ditch, and wait for him to pass. I picked up the bike and tried to run with her until the combine passed me, but figured I was borrowing trouble.

Hubby wanted to race me back to the car so we split off and I took the longer route but pedaled like mad. He took a 2 mile shorter route and he beat me by 2 minutes! Whew! Next time, I'm going to beat him back to the car. He said he wanted to pay the farmer that drove the combine since it gave him an edge.

It was a long day for me.
    Left the house around 6.20am - Rode 20Km to Central station - A snack at a bakery - 8.25am Train to Campbelltown (Back on rode at 10am) - Rode to Appin (and brought a coconut slice) - Rode to Bulli heights (took in the view) - Rode on the princes highway to Jannali (with caffene pit-stop) - Train (2.35pm) to Circular Quay - 3.30pm ferry to Manly - Rode 7.5 km home - Had shower, dinner & a verrrry good sleep.

http://www.routeslip.com/routes/64386

Milage - 20KM + 70Km + 7.5Km = 97.5Km Total

The hill climb today started from around 60metres and reached approx 400 metres, but it wasn't that steep & my main concern was how crappy the road verge was at times.

Happy riding
    Last edited by enzed; 09-30-2007 at 05:51 PM.

Did a metric century, but don't ask me my average speed. Took the bike out of the car and didn't even look when I got home.

But the ride was GREAT! Despite my coughing (getting over a cold, amaxing the krud I was coughing up. TMI sorry). Rode with a group that I know from the MS training rides, and there was a concerted effort to keep the group together. So when the lead rider was getting frisky and pulling out at 21 - someone yelled, and he slowed down. If we lost someone in the rolling hills we all slowed until they caught up. We were in the rolling hills in the "Florida Parishes" north of Lake Pontchartrain, north of N.O. Farms, country homes, ranches, timber country. Very pleasant ride. With rest stops were were back around noon - for BBQ chicken, coleslaw, and baked beans - a different menu from the usual post event lunch of jambalaya. And BEER!
    Beth

Okay, Sunday I only rode 2 blocks, but did I tell you I crossed the BDB & rode 35m yesterday? You have to remember that I really am a weinie.- but i'm working on it!
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Ok, girls, I'm happy to report my first *official* ride post... 23.22 miles (w/strong winds disclaimer)/average mph 12.5. This was my first ride out since my *back in the saddle* ride the end of August. It was hard, and I whined a little, but I made it, and even managed to stay on my SO's wheel through one area.
    "The bicycle was the first machine to redefine successfully the notion of what is feminine. The bicycle came to symbolize something very precious to women - their independence."—Sally Fox

Quote Originally Posted by jeannierides View Post
    This was my first ride out since my *back in the saddle* ride the end of August.
    WOOHOO

JEANNIE DOES RIDE!!!

You ROCK, JR!!!

What a great feeling for yu to be back in the saddle... here's wishing you many many more miles This is such great news

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRaven View Post
    WOOHOO

JEANNIE DOES RIDE!!!

You ROCK, JR!!!

What a great feeling for yu to be back in the saddle... here's wishing you many many more miles This is such great news

Thank you RR! It DOES feel good!
    "The bicycle was the first machine to redefine successfully the notion of what is feminine. The bicycle came to symbolize something very precious to women - their independence."—Sally Fox