Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question about Nasonex

To disable ads, please log-in.

Does anyone know why a product like Nasonex nasal spray would possibly cause a viral infection (listed as a possible side effect)? I'm supposed to take it for my allergies and sinus problems, but i don't want it to cause more harm than good. Thanks - j.

"Let me tell you what I think of bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel... the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." - Susan B. Anthony

Is it a steroid of some kind? It's probably not that the product "causes" a viral infection, but that it could weaken/suppress your body's resistance to infection.

Yes it is a steroidal nasal spray. As such - Liza is correct - it can compromise your immune system. In my case - it also damages my vocal cords. If you're looking for a nasal spray for allergies, try homeopathic. You may have to try several brands to find the one that your body likes but I would suggest starting with anything by BioAllers. There is also an excellent allergy spray designed specifically for your area made by Dolisos.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Thank you Liza and Corsair, that makes sense. Half the time, the side effects on these prescrips are worse than the original problem! I really appreciate your advice - i will definitely look into the homeopathic nasal sprays. Take care, - Jacki

"Let me tell you what I think of bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel... the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." - Susan B. Anthony

I love Nasonex. Works fabulously for me. Overuse can thin the mucous membranes which can mean susceptibility to infection. I just use it once a day during peak allergy season.

Homeopathic remedies can work fine but just be sure there are no contra-indications just like "traditional" medicines. I can't use anything that "boosts" the immune system or it triggers my immune system to attack itself.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I don't have Nasonex, but I was prescribed something similar last year (a steroidal nasal spray). I only have allergy symptoms in the spring so I stopped using the meds in June, and I'll start up again when the season starts, but don't recall getting any side effects from it. It can sting a little, but no real problems.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I use Nasonex and my doctor, who is very open to alternative therapies, has repeatedly told me she's been very happy with it's safety across her entire practice. I have used it for some time, with absolutely no side effects.

If you're okay with sticking things up your nose, start with a neti pot - just a buffered saline sinus wash. It gets all those pollen grains and other nasties out of there, helps relieve congestion, and generally makes me feel better. Drugstores nowadays have a selection of three or four different types of sinus rinses that are marketed nationwide.

It is totally, utterly, nauseously disgusting to irrigate when I have a sinus infection. But that stuff is best washed down the sink than festering in my sinuses, even if I have to look at it for a few seconds.

ETA: if your allergies are debilitating, look into immunotherapy (allergy shots). That is homoeopathy (or as I've been told, technically homotoxicology), even though an MD/DO allergist will never admit it. The best experience I've ever had with modern Western medicine has been in allergy treatment.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 09-28-2007 at 09:59 AM.

I use another corticosteroid nasal spray that is similar to Nasonex...also use a corticosteroid inhaler for asthma. Before these products I was what I call a "respiratory cripple" and had difficulty breathing during the course of general activities such as walking around in my house or office.

I now have normal pulmonary function tests, swim, bike and run. Climb trees and mountains. Kick some butt. And don't make frequent trips to the ER.

For me personally, I've noticed a decreased tendancy to get upper respiratory viruses when I use these medications faithfully. When the upper airways can actually do their job--filtering out irritants, allergans, dust and pollutants--I think the average person's body is better equipped to deal with the challenges of infectious agents. Normally functioning upper airways also filter out the "stuff" in the air that would eventually end up in the lower airways. I can tell a difference in my lungs when I'm not using the nasal steroid.

Sign me, a happy and breathing veterinarian named Jackie

PS. Just so I don't offend anyone, I do not use the word "cripple" except when describing the way I personally used to breathe.
    Cycling is the new running.

Visit my blog: http://www.riverofmuscadinespublishing.com/

Another Side Effect

I have terrible allergies, but can't use steroid sprays because I've suffered from fever blisters ALL my life. Since these are viral episodes, the sprays actually seem to cause the outbreak.

Is there anything available to someone like me who needs constant nasal relief? I'm sensitive to side effects in most medications, so I can't take basic stuff like benadryl and I became immune to sudafed 30 years ago...
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

I found the side effects of OTC Claritin to be pretty intolerable (which is supposed to be relatively side effect free - I think maybe I get it worse since my body weight is low - I usually get most of the side effects of medicines), so when I finally decided to seek relief from an actual doctor last year he prescribed me Allegra (well, I got the generic kind at least). I find it to be pretty wonderful - clears up all the allergy symptoms with no side effects that I notice - no dry mouth, dry nose, jitters, elevated pulse, sleepiness or any of the stuff I'd get with pseudefed, benedryl, claritin etc.
    Last edited by Eden; 09-28-2007 at 11:33 PM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

Thanks Eden, you described my side effects, and I'm anything BUT low weight
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

I'm not exactly an allergy pro - mine are pretty mild, well at least the bad symptoms only last for a week or two.... so it took me a long time to figure out it was an allergy and not just a cold in the spring time. (its cedar pollen that tips me over the edge and I think moving to the PNW made symptoms worse and more noticable!) I'd still from my experience give a big thumbs up to Allegra - all it does is make me feel normal again. I think its works a bit differently from a lot of antihistimes, so dry mouth/nose/jitters/drowsiness aren't even listed as side effects, only dizziness which I can't recall ever having experienced.

I used to get sinus infections with every cold until I started using Flonase when I have a cold. I haven't had one sinus infection and my colds clear up more quickly. Never had any side effects. I tried the neti-pot types of stuff but could never get them to work for me. And it hurt shooting the water up my nasal passages. And I had to keep on doing it. I wish it would work because I'd rather not use drugs, but then again, if the drugs work and don't hurt me, it's ok I guess.

I cannot take any cold meds with pseudophedrine, and I get groggy with the various allergy meds as well so using flonase to get things draining is the only thing I can do for a cold.
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast