Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Goatheads...

Goatheads...

To disable ads, please log-in.

I picked up 5 goatheads on my commute in this morning . I will watch my tires to make sure they don't go flat before my ride home tonight. Luckily, I have slime in my tires. 5 goatheads , go figure

In my limited experience with goatheads, it's either 5+ goatheads, or none!

Hope there's no flats for you!

Karen

What's a goathead?

I know what a goat is, and I know what a head is, but put the two together and I just don't get it! Is this a regional plant or something?
    If you're happy and you know it - wag your tail!

Goathead=very nasty thorn with 3 points.....shaped like a goats head. It's a very hard thorn so it's very easy to have the points break off like....in my thumb or in a tire.

SBC - crossing fingers no flats for you either. If it helps, I finally bought Kevlar tires And I use slimed tubes. I still pick the nasty little boogers up but I don't have flats. Now if I could just get the thorn out of my thumb I'd be a happy camper.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

5 goatheads , dang I thought we had it bad here.....everything has thorns. You do not dare to even run over a little twig. Hope you don't have a flat. Sounds like slime is the way to go.

These are goatheads

I picked them up in Albuquerque on a ride to the Balloon Museum. For future reference, no one at the Balloon Museum knows a thing about bus routes in Albuquerque. We had 4 flats. I knew I shouldn't have listened when my son said "let's cut across this ball park!"

There are still parts of the thorns broken off in the thick rubber of his tires.

Karen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG0272.JPG 
Views:	293 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	4431  

Ugh and best wishes for no flats. Tuffy liners work great....unless it's in a sidewall. Cheap, adds a little weight, but worth it to me.
    I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Just got back from what was going to be a quick ride and what happened?? A goat head of course, nice little flat tire. Well at least changing a tire is better then being at work

I think I cursed myself by reading this thread yesterday before heading into the office. I too, flatted by goathead, on the way home. Thankfully I was about a quarter mile from the house, so I just walked home. Now if you ladies will excuse me, I have a flat to repair!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

2010 Kelson custom/Brooks B17 Imperial
    2009 Masi/Terry Damselfly
    2004 Specialized Dulce Elite/Terry Damselfly
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara/unknown saddle
    1987 Bridgestone 100/Terry Liberator X

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Dadblasted goatheads (shaking fist wildly at them).
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

[QUOTE=Tuckervill;248294... For future reference, no one at the Balloon Museum knows a thing about bus routes in Albuquerque.
    Karen[/QUOTE]

If it helps any - very few people here know the bus routes.....not sure the bus drivers even know bus routes!

I called about bus routes as an alternative on the days I didn't ride. It took the transportation person 45 mins to work out a route and here was the end result:

I would have to leave my house before 7am, take 4 different buses in order to get to work and I would arrive at a stop about 1/2 mile from my office at 8:45.

Sorry folks - I can Drive it in less than 15 mins.....ride it in 20 mins.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by CorsairMac View Post
    If it helps any - very few people here know the bus routes.....not sure the bus drivers even know bus routes!

I called about bus routes as an alternative on the days I didn't ride. It took the transportation person 45 mins to work out a route and here was the end result:

I would have to leave my house before 7am, take 4 different buses in order to get to work and I would arrive at a stop about 1/2 mile from my office at 8:45.

AHH you guys are making me miss albuquerque!! I think I am going to go out and visit soon though, hopefully the LBS will let me borrow a bike for a few rides when I am there. And I think I am going to go out in June for the crest race!!

Quote Originally Posted by CorsairMac View Post

I had a similar experience when I called the number on the bus stop sign.

You'd think they'd have an express bus or a more direct route from Old Town (where we were staying) to the Balloon museum, wouldn't you?

ah well, it was an adventure.

Karen

Hope I haven't jinxed myself by reading this thread - just when I think I've got myself covered for the goatheads (kevlar-lined tires, thorn-resistant tubes and slime) is about when I ride over a box of roofing nails that's been dumped into the bike lane, or the horseshoe nail from three weeks ago

None of the bus routes around here have ever made sense, but seem to be improving. More fun to ride, though (or even change that tire)!