Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

130 Miles of Rain and What Doesn't Hurt?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Knoxville Double Ride Report

It's 4 AM, my usual getting up time. My cat doesn't know I've only had 3 and 1/2 hours of sleep. She'd like her breakfast. I tried to ignore her and go back to sleep, but my own stomach needs something. So I'm sitting here with a cup of hot chocolate and when it's gone, I'm going back to bed.

I'm actually not sure how long it rained. For those of you who know the route, it started on Wooden Valley Rd. It stopped while I was climbing and descending Howell Mountain Rd. It started again, harder on Knoxville Rd and rained until Middleton. All I know for sure is, I spent 18 hours in what was essentially a wet diaper.

Just some random thoughts now...

The ride started at about 4:30 AM and we saw a big crack of lightening. It was far enough away that we didn't hear the thunder.

I wanted to quit at lunch after about 107 miles. I was cold, wet, very tired and hungry. After a grilled chicken sandwich and changing all my clothes, I felt better, so I got back on my bike.

I haven't ridden nearly enough miles this summer and early fall and really began to feel the effects of that towards the end of Knoxville RD - about 90 miles in. I just had no leg strength for the climbs. That's why I wanted to quit, turning the crank with fatigued legs hurt! Oh, and the climb just never seemed to end. Very demoralizing.

Loch Lomond is a good tough, climb, but a BEAR at mile 110 and after lunch. In my smallest gear and at one point I was doing 2.6 mph. My cold, wet knees did not like that.

Back to bed. More later.

All right, it's now 7:30 AM. I've got another cup of hot chocolate.

The ride started off really well. This was the staff ride for the actual ride next weekend. Thom was one of the roving SAG drivers so I packed a BIG bag with all the things I thought I might want. Rain had been forecast for Saturday. We had been keeping an eye on the radar and Thom thought it wouldn't be too bad. Well, the storm must have shifted Friday night, because we got A LOT more rain then we thought we would. At one point I listed all the things in my bag and Thom sort of rolled his eyes. I used or lent everything in the bag except my knee warmers.

I'm still really tired and brain dead so I think I'll let this simmer some more.

V.
    Last edited by Veronica; 09-23-2007 at 06:35 AM.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

well, good for you for toughing it out. must have been amazing to have dry clothes to change into! when the HUGE thunder clap woke me up friday night/saturday am, I thought "wow, am I glad I am not doing a double tomorrow!"

that sounds a lot like the 400k- so much rain and similar route!

I am definitely in the "not enough riding" camp right there with you. oh well.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I wanted to quit after Guenoc too! My stomach was really bothering me. I think at that point in the ride - 140 miles or so, my stomach really wants real food, but nothing appeals. I end up feeling like I'm going to puke anytime I go uphill. The same thing happened on ESDC.

Anyway...Thom pulled up beside me to give me my battery because he was heading over to the Dam to set up one last stop. I said, "Can't I just get in the car now?" He replied, "It seems a shame to quit now when you have come so far." Damn!

Jesse stayed with me from that point until Hennesey. He was great. He would talk enough that it distracted me from being miserable, but not so much that it was an effort to talk. At Hennesey I had a soup and some hot chocolate and the stomach ickiness went away. I was still VERY tired and sore... but that's to be expected.

Oh and I so needed a bathroom! We stopped at that funky store in Pope Valley. Their bathroom is disgusting under the best conditions. It was truly unusable.

V.
    Last edited by Veronica; 09-23-2007 at 08:25 AM.

TandemHearts.com

MATE!!!!!
    You never cease to amaze me. Enjoy your hot chocolates you truly deserve them after a ride like that.

WELL DONE

Trek-who would have stayed in bed with that rain-hawk
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Well done, V. You're made of very tough stuff.

I had actually signed up for the SFR 200K permanent yesterday, but I wussed out.

I figured I could have managed despite my lack of training and squeaked in under the time limit. But, that combined with the rain was just too much for my delicate psyche.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Pretty much everything hurts this morning - hence the title. My toes hurt from being damp. My ankles hurt from my new shoes which aren't broken in yet. I changed into them at lunch, so I could have the illusion of dryness for a while. My knees are the worst. The left one just has the achy, creakiness I usually get after a ride like this. My right one feels like it has been twisted to the right. I'm wondering if the cleat in my new shoes isn't quite right. Quads, very tired. My lower back is a little achy, but not bad.

My fingers hurt. I was on the brakes a lot more than normal since the roads were so wet. The descent of Mt. George was the worst since it was raining and dark. Howell Mt. was wet but the rain had stopped. We did have one guy crash on Howell Mt. He continued on to the rest stop at Berryessa, but he was not able to climb, so he went off to Kaiser. He loaned his rear wheel to guy who had a spoke break on Howell Mt. The descent of Knoxville-Berryessa was pretty bad too. The rain was just pelting me in the face.

My elbows and biceps hurt. There are a lot of rough roads on this ride. My nose hurts because it ran constantly.

But I'm glad I did it. It gives me my Triple Crown for this year. And a little (A LOT!) of adversity is good for your character.

V.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    It gives me my Triple Crown for this year. And a little (A LOT!) of adversity is good for your character.
    Congratulations!

I seriously think everyone out there yesterday was nuts, but obviously of very strong character .

Jesse said Thom saved the day (as usual). And he gets to do it again next week!

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    And a little (A LOT!) of adversity is good for your character. V.
    Hey, I've been kinda off the grid with my work hours...haven't been checking in on TE and forgot about your ride. You are truly made of tough stuff.

I believe I would have quit. I have come to truly, truly hate riding in the cold wet rain. Surely, sometimes it is OK to simply say, you know, this isn't fun anymore, and quit on a rainy day?
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    bows down repeatedly I'm not worthy to post to such a riding goddess...

I'm SOOOO proud of you for toughing it out and staying strong. Wow- just don't know what to say except: congratulations and you're one tough cookie. Wow, wow, wow...
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I can't wait for the full report!

Where's Tom going to be next week??
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

Thom is doing motorcycle SAG on Howell Mt and Knoxville-Berryessa Rd.

It should be more fun for him than yesterday and not such a long day. He managed to catch a little bit of a nap in between riders at the dam.

V.

TandemHearts.com

So I can bring a tow rope for Howell Mtn...?
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

You'll be fine.

V

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    Surely, sometimes it is OK to simply say, you know, this isn't fun anymore, and quit on a rainy day?
    Heh, I said that after 200K of my 300K ride last April, and it was nice out.

I figure, if it's not fun, then what's the point?

But, some people's idea of fun differs from mine.

Or to put it another way, there are people made of stronger stuff and are way more tenacious and goal-oriented than I.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post

I believe I would have quit. I have come to truly, truly hate riding in the cold wet rain. Surely, sometimes it is OK to simply say, you know, this isn't fun anymore, and quit on a rainy day?
    There are good reasons to quit. I DNF'ed on Devil Mountain Double last year because my back hurt so much. I just couldn't come up with a good enough reason to quit yesterday. At lunch I was uncomfortable and tired. Good reasons to quit when you are riding by yourself and training. I've done that. But I knew how few SAG drivers we had. What if someone else got hurt? I'd be taking a space in a vehicle just because I was uncomfortable and tired? I'd already seen how much pain the one guy who crashed was in. I thought it would be selfish of me to SAG in with so much of the ride left. Plus I really wanted to do the downhill after the Loch Lomond climb. It has a section of 11% downhill. Wheeee!!!

When I had 55 miles left to go and my stomach was bothering me, I really wanted to get in the car. But Thom is really good at reading me and where my pain is. He knew I was unhappy, but not in serious distress and that I'd be really mad at myself today if I gave up. What was left of the ride at that point wasn't hard stuff, no more really hard climbs. And he knew I could do it.

I think it helps that I have a high pain threshold. Oh and I'm sure being stubborn plays into too. And the insanity.

V.

TandemHearts.com