Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Damn - is this pre-menopause?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have night sweats. My period has changed in the way it starts, and in heaviness. This started 2-3 years ago (in my twisted mind after I had chicken pox)...I'm turning 35 soon. Is this it?
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

sounds like it to to me. When you're 55 if you're like me, you'll still be having those sweats. bwahahaha (sorry) there ARE worse things.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

It's known as perimenopause
    Welcome!
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Do you drink red wine? I get them when I drink red wine, which is 5 nights of the week.
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

Oh, yeah, now the REAL fun begins!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by kelownagirl View Post
    Do you drink red wine? I get them when I drink red wine, which is 5 nights of the week.
    Yeah. yeah. it's the red wine. Thanks for that counter-argument. (I do have red wine quite often)
    definitely. I'm not old enough to be old yet. grrr.

Maybe a combo of both. I will see my gyn.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Quote Originally Posted by alpinerabbit View Post
    definitely. I'm not old enough to be old yet. grrr.
    I started in my late 30's, but it really took off this year. For my mom and her mom perimenopause started a little earlier and lasted about 10 years.

great... <knot is having so much fun, just thrilled to have 10 more years to enjoy of night sweats and such>
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I have always had night sweats on and off - maybe every few months. I am 40, but I can recall this in my 20's. I am hypothyroid on meds and always attributed it to that. perhaps it was really the wine.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I attribute my night sweats to my circadian temperature rhythms (see the thread about always being cold...) - I'm generally FREEZING when it's time for bed, so I wear wool socks to bed and pile on the blankets, and by morning I'll be warm enough to be drenched with sweat I sweat heavily anyhow, so it really doesn't bother me a dust-mite cover for the mattress protects it from sweat, too!

I like to blame everything on peri-menopause!

Good to call the GYN, or just regular Dr. You are kind of young for hot flashes.

My friend in her 50's who has really bad hot flashes from menopause is just drenched in sweat - 2 or 3 sets of nightclothes a night -- are yours that bad?

Night sweats could be so many things, as could changes in your period.

I have found that being much fitter from biking changes everything including my period and body temperature issues - maybe that's it.

If I wore nightclothes I'd sweat all night, every night...
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by alpinerabbit View Post
    I have night sweats. My period has changed in the way it starts, and in heaviness. This started 2-3 years ago (in my twisted mind after I had chicken pox)...I'm turning 35 soon. Is this it?
    That's how mine started....... Major changes in bleeding and timing. Now an occasional night sweat and hot flash. I can only hope it does't get much worse. For you, too. :::::fingers crossed:::

Annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Actually the belief that menopause starts in your late 40s to early 50s is being changed. The infamous "they" are now saying it can start in your mid to late 30s. I started having night sweats and migraines about 35-36 but didn't actually have any changes in my period until I was 46. I had my last period at 47 but the hot flashes/night sweats (which are just hot flashes at night - wonder why we have to give it a seperate name? lol) have gotten worse since then. (I'm 48 now) My naturopath put me on Progesterene Creme and Vitex and things are getting better. Like I told him - I don't mind the hot flashes during the day.....just drink some ice water, but at night - wake up soaking, throw off the covers, fall back asleep, wake up 20-30 minutes later freezing cold, pull covers on, fall back asleep.....start all over!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

I went to the link for pre-menopause to see the symptoms and I have had those all my life!
    Let's break this word down too.
    Men- no -pause.....intersting don't you think? (I know there aren't to n's but) since the sex drive is supposed to lower?
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

D*mn. I thought the sex drive was supposed to increase. That's what I'd always read about menopause. Honestly it can't get any lower