Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

you girls have done it now

To disable ads, please log-in.

all these photos of wonderful bikes. This weekend I decided I needed a new bike. I have a new folding bike, and two, um, walmart bikes gathering dust (neither one fits me). I haven't been riding long, but long enough to appreciate a bike that fits me. I love my folding bike- I ride it every day at work during my lunch break. But it's not so good for pulling the bike trailer, and I'd like to be able to keep up better on group rides. I know some of this is me, but it seems like I'm pedaling like crazy while others on the "tall bikes" are just cruising along.
    Maybe I just want a new bike. Saturday I went to a bike shop in rolla (rte 66) and sat on a trek 7000 on a trainer. I felt like the top tube was tall, but once on it, it seemed to fit me really well. They have the women's version, but none that they had fet well, they felt too cramped. The Trek shop in St. Louis didn't have any of the 7000, but they had 7100 and the navigator. It doesn't have to be trek, but I probably do need a hybrid. I'll ride mostly on roads and maybe gravel shoulders, but might like to go on a packed dirt path too. No rockhopping, so may not need a mountain bike. Any suggestions? I'm pretty heavy right now (but losing!) and will ride this bike on weekends while I ride the folding bike during the week- so don't want to pay a lot- the price range of the low end treks is about right (300-400). I won't be putting tons of miles on it at first, I've been doing like ten miles a ride but would like to do more (right now the limiting factor is my son's patience). I would like to actually sit on the bike, so will check out another bike shop tomorrow and see what they have.
    vickie

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Hey, welcome!

I'm no expert, but a hybrid sounds like a good idea for you according to what you say you want to do right now. You are being smart by trying out different bikes in different bike shops. The more bikes you ride before you buy, the more you will know exactly what you need in a bike. Try to resist impulse buys unless you are like suddenly crazy in love with a particular bike. If you aren't quite sure,- keep test riding.

Good luck! Try to enjoy the search for a bike, meanwhile.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I always recommend the Kona Dew (aluminum) and the Kona Smoke (steel).

(I have had one of each)

$350-$400

As my LBS says, they are "bombproof" bikes.

www.konaworld.com
    http://www.konaworld.com/08_dew.htm
    http://www.konaworld.com/08_smoke29.htm

With the new, larger wheels available on the 2008 Smoke, I'd definitely be going for the Smoke. (steel, and it comes with fenders) My 2007 Smoke has 26 inch wheels, and I'm not complaining. But it is slower overall than my Kona Dew with the 700c wheels. (I rode the Dew in a triathlon, and was a studly babe for the biking leg. We won't talk about my performance in the swim and run legs... )
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 10-21-2007 at 05:37 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Hi Vickie,

Seems like you are looking for a couple of different things.

My LBS guy gave me great advice when I was in a similar (but utterly bikeless) position; that was that if I was going to be riding on dirt, to consider a MTB (which I could always put slick tires on) but which would give me a wider range of uses for the bike. It was great advice, IMO because I could ride a lot of dirt trails more easily that are not-so-fun on a hybrid. I started with a Kona Fire Mountain, which I *loved.* (She got stolen ) But it was a phenomenal bike.

Group rides, though, it sounds like you'll benefit from a road bike there. And yes, the bikes do play a big part in that. But those are more expensive, though you can get some good deals on used road bikes, there is lots of good advice to be had here on that...

That said, if you consider that that the jack of all trades is the master of none, by definition, Knotted's advice on the Kona Dew & Smoke is spot on, both are *great* bikes and an excellent value for the money.

Anne

well, I really liked the feel of the trek 7000, it was the men's version with a 17.5 (size of the frame?). But then, it's the only hybrid I've ever been on. I am enjoying the idea of a new bike, so will enjoy the shopping. I checked out the kona website and really like the look of the kona smoke, but when I searched for dealers it showed none in my area (st. louis). kind of hard to believe.
    thanks for the encouragement and suggestions!
    vickie

thanks, I found another one that carries kona. It's supposed to rain this week, so instead of riding during my lunch break I might sneak away to check out some bikes.
    anyone know anything about jamis bikes? I found a shop that carries them and some look interesting. I will check out mountain bikes too, prefer hardtail.
    vickie

Vickie

DH has a 7000 and he really likes it.
    I rode one too and liked it, but it was a "girls" and cramped for me too...and I wanted a step through.

I ended up with a Specialized Globe that I love love...but having a wandering eye I wish I'd tried the Kona Smoke....(less money than I ended up spending)

I don't think you can wrong with either...and you know what you love!

congrats on deciding to get a new bike...

elk
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

I stopped at a couple of bike shops on the way home today. It was raining, so no test rides, but I at least got to see and sit on a couple of bikes. Rightly or wrongly, it makes a big difference to me how I get treated at a bike shop. The first one, I checked out some of the Jamis (spelling?) bikes, just a couple (they didn't have many) The guy was friendly enough, but just not as helpful. The bikes seemed a little to upright, but could have been how they were set up. He seemed to discourage me from checking out the mountain bikes, and they didn't have too many.
    Then I went to bigger shop, absolutely nobody was in either shop on a cold rainy day like today (it had been very nice when I got in my ride at lunchtime). The lady helping me was very informative and helpful, and pulled out whatever I wanted to look at. They had the Trek 7200 there, and I really liked it. They didn't have any trek 7000 but said they could order it. I just like the feel of them, and the looks. This shop gives you 10% off supplies and lifetime service (you pay for parts, not service) on their bikes. I liked the 7200 and the mountain bike, which was an unfortunate bright blue color.I guess the 7200 has upgraded components from the 7000, I just don't know if if I need the upgrades- with my weight right now it might be worth it.
    I didn't even take my checkbook in with me, I know how I am. Tomorrow if it's raining I might go by the shop that has kona bikes.
    vickie

http://cgi.ebay.com/trek-7300-multit...QQcmdZViewItem

Trek 7300 17.5" almost new...extras...just fyi
    He put excellent lights on it, fenders, a cat eye computer....

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by fastdogs View Post
    thanks, I found another one that carries kona. It's supposed to rain this week, so instead of riding during my lunch break I might sneak away to check out some bikes.
    anyone know anything about jamis bikes? I found a shop that carries them and some look interesting. I will check out mountain bikes too, prefer hardtail.
    vickie

My first bike was a jamis tangier hybrid! It was great for me, but then again I grew out of it very quickly. In 9months I was ready for a Road bike.

I love that Tangier though and I still carry a torch for it even though it hasn't been ridden since Last year
    @LIGHTSABE*R(::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Beginner Triathlete Log

I luv my trek hybrid I have my older Giant Nutra hybrid that will handle any terrain I want (packed gravelly stuff and roads), and it's a lot like the Trek hybrids.
    However... I'd at least *try* the next bikes up. Friend of mine was looking at the 7100 and I talked her into trying I think the 7500 or maybe 7300 ... anyway, it was I think aluminum instead of steel and made a huge difference in how easy it was to shove along. (I have a 7500FX but that runs >600 ... but it's worth considering how important this relationship is and amortizing increased expense over time! I mean, what if next year you want to upgrade again?)

Today I tried a Giant Cypress and a Fuji crosstown 3.0. Unfortunately, they only had the women's style in my size, and I just feel too closed in on those. I liked the Giant better, but still not as well as I liked the Trek 7000. Of course, I only rode the trek on the trainer in the store. But it felt right- like when I get on my downtube bike, I just feel like riding. I'm not sure if what I like is just what I'm used to, though, I don't have enough experience to know. I felt like both the giant and the fuji were too upright. The shop gives you one year of free tune ups, and you can buy a lifetime program for $69.00.
    None of the shops that carry trek have carried the 7000 up here, just the 7100 and up. I've been going round and round with this- I've looked at the comparison of the 7000, 7100, and 7200, but is the difference enough to warrant going up to a 7200 from a 7000?
    I can get the 7000 from the bike shop about an hour away (rte 66 bikes), they've got it in stock, in my size. I need to find out what service they provide after the sale.
    The place that has the 7200 in stock in my size, is the one that does a fitting before purchase, and provides free maintenance for lifetime after (you pay for parts, not labor), plus 10% off stuff in the store. I need to actually take the 7200 out and ride it though. If I get it, there won't be enough left to buy fenders and have them put on, so that will have to wait. I still need to ride the kona, and could check out the bikes at an REI in town.
    The shop I went to today also carries recumbents and the rans crank forward bikes, but I resisted giving them a try.

you could always sell your walmart bikes on craig's list to pay for the upgrade and fenders....

e

Hi Vickie:
    First of all you WERE pedaling and working twice as much! I think we discussed it a little bit. Loved your bike though! So pretty and handy.
    2nd, Rte 66 Bikes, Dan gives you one tune-up within 30 days after the sale, although he is a little lenient with that. I came back late a couple of times. If you want to know more about him or the shop you can ask me or Pyannyplayer. We both know him and do business there. I like that I can email and say "Hey Dan, have you got such and such?, or I walk in and he calls me by name, and he's always willing to help.
    Have you considered the Trek fx? It doesn't have the front suspension, and unless you are going out to Lions Club Park to ride, you really don't need it. It (the suspension) also makes you ride harder and slower. I have one, (7.2 fx) and I don't have school on Friday. I could bring it to Rolla on Friday if you are there and let you try it out.

Edit: I went to the Trek website and noticed that the new 7000 does not have suspension! the 7100 and above do. You need to decide if you want that or not. Like I said, suspension just adds weight and you don't need it for roads or even the Katy Trail!
    Last edited by uforgot; 10-24-2007 at 03:22 AM.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington