Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yeah, that's more what I had in mind--then BC can throw the next NW America TE party. Although Iceland's geology is really fabulous...my dad was stationed there as a radio operator in WWII. Either way will work. I'm just glad we have this settled.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

I'm not sure if Canada is extraditing deserters or not. A couple of years ago, there was a kid who'd headed for Canada after deserting. Don't remember if he returned of his own accord or was returned by Canadian Authorities.

However, it would also mean I could never return to the US for any reason other than turning myself in. Once I did that, I would be convicted of a federal offense which means I'd never be able to vote, hold office, own a weapon or get a professional license.

Also, I would spend the rest of my life dealing with the fact that I was too chickensh** to honor my commitment to the US Government and my soldiers. My opinions on our reason for being wherever we end up are irrelevant. I still have a duty to my soldiers to bring as many of them as I can home alive.
    re-cur-sion ri'-ker-shen n: see recursion

Hey. We know. This was just meant as a joke, you know. Never meant to be taken seriously, not intended as any kind of political statement. I am very sorry if it appeared otherwise. I would never make such a suggestion seriously, here or anywhere else.
    Last edited by salsabike; 11-10-2007 at 08:18 AM.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

None taken. One of those conversations that went one way, then the other.

I knew it was all in jest as well, and was just going along to the fun of it. (However, I would support a deserter if they came here.)
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

Given my previous adventures in Canada, liver damage is definitely possible. Particularly if I ever find the pub in Victoria that I used to frequent when my ship was there. Good stout.

Or, Iceland. Do they have stout in Iceland? Can I get studded bike tires in Iceland?

Hey, did you happen to be in a pub at the Esquimalt base on June 24,1993? I had the most fun with a bunch 'o French sailors celebrating the Fete Nationale that night...
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

Sorry, no. I've put back a few at that particular establishment, but I'd been out of the Navy for about nine months by then.

Now that I think about it, the last time I was in Canada was August 1992.

However, there is a pretty good chance that I was at a bar somewhere in the Portland area.