Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Cold and Hungry

Cold and Hungry

To disable ads, please log-in.

This is interesting and explains a lot...

Ever feel like you’re more famished after a long ride on a cold morning than if you did the same workout during the heat of the day? Do short swimming workouts leave you hungrier than a long run in the heat? Well, it turns out there’s a scientific explanation to your cold hunger.
    From Carmichael Training Systems Newsletter

Some good (and short) articles this month.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    I actually experienced this during Saturday's very hot Civil War Century in a major way:
    From that link:

Did you know? The opposite response happens during exercise in hot weather. Instead of feeling like you can scarf down a Thanksgiving turkey, you’ll probably have little or no appetite at all. That’s because the body is doing everything it can to cool down and eating food, thus generating heat, is not on the immediate agenda. However, it’s times like this that you must eat to quickly restore your glycogen, a.k.a. fuel stores, in order to keep your energy levels up and recover.

By the 3rd rest stop, I was sucking salt off peanuts, rather than eating them. The 4th rest stop is "famous" for it's tomato sandwiches. I couldn't even look at them (might have been the mayo, too, oozing out of them. Blech).

I read somewhere (wish I could remember where) that you don't actually burn more calories during a cold workout vs. a hot workout, and that people use their feelings of hunger after a cold workout to overeat (alluded to with the swimmers in the link).
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle