Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Wow! I need to get out of the city!

Quote Originally Posted by Running Mommy View Post
    a road runner with a small snake in his mouth, ..
    You mean a roadrunner is an actual for real animal not a Disney creation?

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by margo49 View Post
    You mean a roadrunner is an actual for real animal not a Disney creation?
    I think you mean Warner Brothers!
    Yup, they're for real.
    http://www.desertusa.com/mag98/sep/papr/road.html
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    I think you mean Warner Brothers!
    Yup, they're for real.
    http://www.desertusa.com/mag98/sep/papr/road.html
    Wow, that is a bizarre looking creature!

Still batting 1000 on seeing deer in the morning. It was a BIG one this morning!

Closest I ever came to having anything swooping at my head was when I almost got taken out by a huge goose. That probably would have brought about a trip to the emergency room!
    2007 Trek 5000
    2009 Jamis Coda
    1972 Schwinn Suburban

"I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood."
    Susan B. Anthony, 1896

Ha ha! Yeah, we have some real critters around here..

CC- I call them "racing lizzies" because they race me down the road. It's hysterical. They are fast little suckers, and they can keep up for a good while!
    I happen to like lizards. Good thing too because we have a ton in the back yard. They are quite amusing to watch. Some of them stand and do lizzy push ups on my patio. Yes- push ups. Very funny.

And roadrunners.. They are quite cool birds. Some of them are pretty big, and I haven't yep stopped making the cartoon "beep beep" when one runs by.
    We also have ground squirrels and cute little white tailed bunnies.
    Oh- and Gila monsters... That is the one lizard I DONT want to see..
    But that is life in the sonoran desert... Lot's o wildlife!

Oh- This really upset me! There is a wash (large dry creek/ riverbed type area used for monsoon rain run offs) near my house. Washe's typically are a rattlesnakes habitat. That is one reason why I stay OUT of the wash, as does running son.
    We do take a trail to school that runs parrallel to the wash. I always see kids cutting through the wash on their way to school. I have warned them that there are snakes in the wash, and that they need to be very careful. Our snakes are a perfect desert brown, and with all the scrub brush in the wash, it's hard to spot them- but they are there.
    A year ago a little dog died when the owner was walking it through the wash (dumb owner) and it was struck by a snake. It died on the way to the vet.

So anyway, my neighbor told me about another neighbor who was walking through the wash with his kids recently and came across a snake- so he killed it!! This angered me to no end. I HATE snakes, they scare the bajeepers out of me. I don't know how people can have them as pets, they just aren't my cup of tea.. BUT that is THEIR house, and IMO they deserve to live too! The poor snake was just minding his business hanging out in his home and BOOM some stupid human decided he needed to be dead- all so that his kids could save a few footsteps on their way to and from school.... Oh it just made me so angry!!!
    My neighbor said "yeah, now we call him the snake killer"... She wasn't happy either.

Quote Originally Posted by northstar View Post
    Closest I ever came to having anything swooping at my head was when I almost got taken out by a huge goose.
    On my training ride at weekends, and any day I get to commute one way or the other to work, I am bait.

We have magpies who swoop and are getting braver and braver (although they always attack from behind. Usually before summer begins there are some who connect with helmets.

So my partner/ sons go and lie in wait with a rifle for me to bike past in the various "magpie zones" in the hope they will see where the birds land. So far we have sorted one!

Thank you for the picture and info.
    It sounds very "adapted".
    Do not think I would like to reincarnate as one tho'

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

Quote Originally Posted by northstar View Post
    I used to think they were cute. Now I just think they're vandals.

It's nut season here. We have 3 huge walnut trees in our front yard. The squirrels sit up in them and wait for you to walk by so they can pelt you with shells and whole nuts. And if they miss you they'll throw them at your car instead. Ok, I realize they don't really have it in for me, but it's still dangerous to be out there. I should wear my bike helmet when I mow. I still think they are cute, I've gotten over them eating my cucumbers.

Prairie dogs, prairie dogs everywhere! Depending on where I am, I can usually whistle to warn them I'm coming and they run back to their burrows. However on the heavily traveled MUPs they have no fear. Other wise there's not much other than birds and bunnies. I saw a coyote once far away, a raccoon once in the neighborhood, and a deer once at work. I saw a family of wild turkeys once on a non-commute ride, actually had to stop and wait for them all to get across the road, it was really cute.
    The best part about going up hills is riding back down!

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAnika View Post
    It's nut season here. We have 3 huge walnut trees in our front yard. The squirrels sit up in them and wait for you to walk by so they can pelt you with shells and whole nuts. And if they miss you they'll throw them at your car instead.
    Ohh, yeah. We have oak trees. I feel ya.

I get so nervous when running over the acorns with my road bike! They shoot like little bullets as they pop off to each side! Ping, ping!
    2007 Trek 5000
    2009 Jamis Coda
    1972 Schwinn Suburban

"I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood."
    Susan B. Anthony, 1896

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyAnika View Post
    It's nut season here. We have 3 huge walnut trees in our front yard. The squirrels sit up in them and wait for you to walk by so they can pelt you with shells and whole nuts. And if they miss you they'll throw them at your car instead.
    We have a hickory tree in our front yard.
    Gone are the days of walking out to get the mail barefoot. OUCH!
    The tree rats - er, squirrels - are turning the shell casings into fine compost for the front yard. <<crunch, crunch, crunch>>
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Lots of cute turkey families... A few pheasants here and there. Deer are a common occurrence and they must be accustomed to bikers because they are not yielding on the trail. It's actually kind of freaky to see a huge momma dear just a few feet from where you're biking and wondering what exactly her intentions are, particularly when the babies are in sight as well. I see a lot of turtles. Bunnies by the dozen. And my first beaver last night.

When it's not acorn season the squirrels will hear me chlirking at them and get out of my way. It's not so easy this time of year. I noticed that I'm a lot more aware - I'll see 'em behind cars and anywhere near the road and anticipate that they might dash *anywhere.* Alas, their kamikaze moves would certainly do as much damage to me as to themselves.

I see lots of rabbits, which are plentiful enough not to be considered cute around here. Hawks & deer are hanging around, too. We had three or four local turkeys that would get themselves on the news periodically and would sometimes be wandering in the streets but I haven't seen them recently. '

See lots of dead possums on the road

The birds are still going crazy... Currawongs, Crows, Indian Minahs and Native Noisy Miners were taking over the Elenor Schonell Bridge today... >_<

We were swooped only once. We think it was a low flying currawong not a magpie though.
    @LIGHTSABE*R(::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Beginner Triathlete Log

More Roadkill than Live Critters

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    On the swan river bike path I often see pelicans, shags, dolphins, swans & fantails.
    Crazycanuck: Shags??

Let's see, I've seen: Deer, beaver, squirrels, chipmunks, blue heron, hawks... Not usually much at all, though. The deer was a big excitement, as I live in a fairly decent-sized town.

I see more dead animals, victims of cars: Skunks (bleck), LOTS of squirrels, chipmunks, frogs, mice, songbirds of various types, snakes, cats, possums... I'm sure there's more, but they escape me for now.
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

Never give up. Never surrender.

The squirrels are driving me nuts! Between almost running over them on my bike several times per commute and making my dog walking experiences harrowing, I say it's time for them to go. I can't believe my neighbor feeds them! (my first clue was when I started finding peanut shells in my yard.. )