Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kingdom trails in vermont

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just got back from a great camping trip in Burke vermont to ride the kingdom trails. http://www.kingdomtrails.org/

The trails are swoopy and fun. I really liked Jbar, old web and Tap n die. But they are all a lot of fun.

hopefully i will have pictures up soon...
    "The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."-Moliere

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." -Thomas A. Edison

Shorty's Adventure - Blog

Kingdom Trails ROCK! DH grew up around the corner from there, so we have been riding those trails for a number of years. We just spent the Labor Day weekend up there, and had so much fun! Click here for my write up and pics.

Han-Grrl - did you ride Sidewinder? That trail makes me giggle like a 10 year old.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

It sure looks like fun!

Do they have trails for true beginners? Do they grade the trails like skiing (beginner, intermediate, expert)?

Just like I don't like to ski the skinny trails in the woods, because I get scared that I am going to hit a tree, I wouldn't want to bike a skinny little trail that is going downhill for the same reason.

But I LOVE the idea of biking something that would make me "giggle like I am a kid again."

So, what do you think? Do I need to become more comfortable on my bike before I could go there?

I don't have a mountain bike, but I have a hybrid bike with nubby tires. Would that work?

I couldn't find any trail maps on their site, but I see that I could buy one. So any help that you could lend me is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Lynette

trails

I wouldn't recommend doing those trails (or the ones i did anyway) on a hybrid). The trails are mostly single track.

Shefly- yes we did sidewinder. It took me a couple of the turns to get my flow, it was fun, but my favorite was still Jbar (i like rooty technical!) and old web (or web, i always mixed that up!)

Smile!
    Han
    "The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."-Moliere

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." -Thomas A. Edison

Shorty's Adventure - Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Over50Newbie View Post
    It sure looks like fun!

Do they have trails for true beginners? Do they grade the trails like skiing (beginner, intermediate, expert)?

Just like I don't like to ski the skinny trails in the woods, because I get scared that I am going to hit a tree, I wouldn't want to bike a skinny little trail that is going downhill for the same reason.

But I LOVE the idea of biking something that would make me "giggle like I am a kid again."

So, what do you think? Do I need to become more comfortable on my bike before I could go there?

I don't have a mountain bike, but I have a hybrid bike with nubby tires. Would that work?

I couldn't find any trail maps on their site, but I see that I could buy one. So any help that you could lend me is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Lynette
    Speaking from experience the trails can be a little scary for beginners- I don't think I'd want to do them on a hybrid either. That said I'm pretty sure there are a ton of dirt roads around Burke (and you'd probably be really happy on a hybrid there).

Thanks Guys,

Sounds like this place is out of my league.

I will stick to the nice flat "rails-to-trails" with my trusty hybrid.

Lynette

all levels?

Do they have trails for all levels? I LOVE technical, root-y stuff, I love jumping over stuff, and I love rocks! But I'm not very fast. Me and a couple of friends were thinking of going up there this summer. Are the trails marked? Like, how do you know what you're getting into? Also, I really have no sense of direction. Are they loops, so you can get back to civilization?

Quote Originally Posted by karatemom View Post
    Do they have trails for all levels? I LOVE technical, root-y stuff, I love jumping over stuff, and I love rocks! But I'm not very fast. Me and a couple of friends were thinking of going up there this summer. Are the trails marked? Like, how do you know what you're getting into? Also, I really have no sense of direction. Are they loops, so you can get back to civilization?
    If you like doing technical trails (rooty and climbing), you will be fine at the Kingdom Trails. You don't have to go fast, and the system is really fun.

Stop in at the Kingdom Trails Association in East Burke (you need a trail pass), and when you buy the pass, they will give you a map of the trails. All of the trails are VERY well marked - it would be hard to get lost in there. The trails are also rated, like x-country ski trails - green dots, blue squares and black diamonds.

Good luck, and have a great time! You'll have a blast.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by SheFly View Post
    If you like doing technical trails (rooty and climbing), you will be fine at the Kingdom Trails. You don't have to go fast, and the system is really fun.

Stop in at the Kingdom Trails Association in East Burke (you need a trail pass), and when you buy the pass, they will give you a map of the trails. All of the trails are VERY well marked - it would be hard to get lost in there. The trails are also rated, like x-country ski trails - green dots, blue squares and black diamonds.

Good luck, and have a great time! You'll have a blast.

SheFly
    I'd also add that if you ride the rocky rooty stuff anywhere in New England, you'll feel right at home at KT.

We're going 4th of July weekend! WOO HOO!!!!!!

And when you buy your trail pass, ask if they have any Louis Garneau outlet coupons and then hit the outlet!!

Louis Garneau USA Inc.

1352, East Main Street, Box 755
    Newport, Vermont
    U.S.A. 05855
    Phone: (802) 334-5885
    Phone: 1-800-448-1984
    Fax: 1-802-334-6425

When I saw this thread come up I went and looked up the website...sent them an email, and they responded right away. I'm going in September. It's going to be GREAT!

Karen

I'm heading up in two weeks. I look forward to it every summer (and hitting the Louis Garneau outlet).

Okay, here's a question. I was reading the site for Burke and it said there was a lot of smooth trails, too. This thread said rocky/rooty is there, too. Which is it? Both?

I'd like to do some smooth trails because I haven't ridden my mtn bike a lot this year, and it's a hard tail. And I'll be by myself.

Karen

I think rocky and rooty is relative to where you're used to riding. I ride in very rocky and rooty conditions in the northeast so parts of KT feel super smooth to me. The good thing about KT is that there's something for everyone. There are trails that are predominantly made of sand, while others (like the ones on Burke Mountain) are filled with roots and other fun technical stuff. But, for the most part, the trails are fairly smooth and you won't have to manual over logs, etc.

You can go into the main office and tell them what kind of ride you're looking for and how long you want to be out. Chances are good that the person behind the counter helped build the trail and they're great at mapping out the perfect route for you. Plus, it's virtually impossible to get lost up there because everything is so well marked and the trails have a difficulty diamond rating too and even the black diamonds aren't too technical and difficult.

I sent an email to them at Burke and they said virtually what you said. I was checking to make sure it was okay with them if I rode alone, and what kind of trails I was looking forward to. I'm gonna have fun no matter what I do, but since I've been riding road mostly, it's going to be hard to take it easy! I'll want to go fast, but speed maims and injures, if I'm not careful!

Karen

Up there you can go fairly fast and not worry too much. Everything is very well marked and there are no big surprises in the trails. You'll still get a good workout, as there are some good climbs built in.

Have you booked a room somewhere yet? They seem to fill up fast.

It's a great atmosphere because the whole town is pretty much there to bike or to support bikers. The first time we went, we ended up meeting another couple on the trail and riding with them for a few days.