Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Searching for comfortable saddle

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm searching for the most comfortable saddle in the world to replace my stock saddle (Bontrager). I ride a road bike and my rides do not exceed 40 miles. I'm looking for something that does not make my soft tissue feel like it's burning :P I am searching for the comfiest thing that I can ride on and still maintain a good speed.

I'd love to hear about any recommendations you have Or ways you found the greatest saddle for you!

Thanks,

Ana

Did you read both threads about saddles? You'll get fifty different answers.

The stock Bontragers are pieces of poo, at least the lower end ones are. I replaced mine with a Terry Falcon X. But unless your bum is just like mine it might not work for you.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Unfortunately good speed tends to be more about the legs than about the saddle... darn!

What's your sitbone measurement?
    Do you like long nose or short?
    Pear-shaped top or "T" shaped?
    Lots of padding, or no padding?
    Narrow nose or wide nose?
    Cut-out?
    Classic look or racy?

Chances are if you set out the call with your specifics, you'll get several good recommendations.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Yes, I've read some of the threads but I it's difficult to filter the information properly because everyone says different things

How do you take your sit bone measurement?

I don't care about the way it looks and I think I'd like a cut out. Other than that, I'm not sure because I've only been riding on my stock saddle I have a pretty small posterior too so maybe a T-shape?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ana View Post
    Yes, I've read some of the threads but I it's difficult to filter the information properly because everyone says different things
    That's 'cause everyone's butt is different!

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Sit Bone Measurement

If you do a search on Sit Bone Measurement, you'll get quite a number of threads. Here is one that has several ways that TE women have done it. I find it easiest to go to a Specialized dealer and use their little sit-pad.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...ne+Measurement
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

oh but it's much more fun to roll onto my back with my legs up and arms wrapped around to my butt while handling measuring tape and squishing my tush to find my sitbones while negotiating the measuring tape to their outer edges and all the while attempting to crane my head to see if i'm doing it right and fortunately being oblivious to the wildly entertaining antics i'm providing to anyone in the room with me. (run on sentences are fun too)

Dear Ana!

There's no such thing as the Most Comfortable Saddle in the World!

Everyone is different!

Vive le difference!

You must search to find saddle greatness, but you will find it!

Luv,
    Happy_Wheels!
    ~*~ I'm so pretty! Yes, I'm pretty! I'm so pretty, and witty, and gay! ~*~

Thanks!

Thank you for all your help I'll let you know when I find something great

hey Ana, one more little comment. I haven't heard yet of one person who LIKED their Bontrager saddle!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    hey Ana, one more little comment. I haven't heard yet of one person who LIKED their Bontrager saddle!
    LOL - yep hated mine and guess what?? I have sold all my saddles that I had listed here at TE except....you guessed it the BONTRAGER.
    Guess I will be stuck with that one.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Bontrager Saddle

At what point should I start hating mine??? Is it not uncomfortable yet because the longest nonstop ride I have done so far is only 27 miles and it doesn't really start bothering people until 40+ miles? I'm curious why everyone hates the Bontrager saddles and at what point they realize that.

hey Pink
    if it isn't bothering you, don't worry about it. There is an exception to every rule!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I was just curious about how quickly people knew Bontrager was the wrong saddle since I don't have a point of reference or that much time in the saddle yet. Since they are so overwhelmingly rejected, I wondered if people knew right away.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPilot View Post
    I was just curious about how quickly people knew Bontrager was the wrong saddle since I don't have a point of reference or that much time in the saddle yet. Since they are so overwhelmingly rejected, I wondered if people knew right away.
    I test rode a lovely Trek 5200 WSD several years ago and within 5 miles was begging for mercy from the Bontrager saddle. This was when I was used to riding a Terry Butterfly saddle on a Terry Isis bike and had done several centuries without so much irritation as five miles on that Bontrager!

Just one gal's experience....

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow