Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Trekhawk
    mmmm did someone mention hot chocolate. Yummy who could resist that.
    yes. and my employers provide it for free in the lunch room. the b*****ds!!

~T~

I get up, have a glass of cool/cold water (to kick start metabolism), do half hour low impact aerobics, tai chi or stretching if time (bump metabolism again) mooch about a while... have brekky (something like toast with banana and peanut butter, or toast and eggs - most important to provide a small ammount of fuel to start ones day) about 3/4 hour after exercise (or at least an hour after getting up if there was no time to exercise) and then head off to work...

I work really hard at eating a minimal ammount in the evening...

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Quote Originally Posted by LBTC
    mmmmmm breakfast

which is currently a small amount of Mueslix (yummy) with a sliced banana and a whole whack of prune activia yogurt (stepped away from the soy milk after the "stomach flu" last week and really like the yogurt on cereal thing). ~T~
    What is prune activia yogurt?
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Cristina
    BTW: I keep hearing about this tai chi stuff but I don't know what it is unfortunately. Can you give me a detailed explanation of its purposes please ? Thanks.

Tai chi is like martial arts in slow-mo... think kung fu or jujitsu but reeeeeeally slow.

It is aggressive in form, but not a martial art you fight with.

You work on breathing and centring your body and your thoughts. Your balance improves and I always feel more able to cope with my working week if I have had an hours concentrated tai chi during the week.

Because you move so slowly, you get a great large muscle workout - but although your body heats up, most people don't break a sweat cause it is not aerobic.

Its a wonderful all-over stretch routine too... see if you can find someone to teach you - I have learned through night classes with one of the local schools.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama
    What is prune activia yogurt?
    Activia is a brand of yogurt with live bacteria....prune is the unusual, but delicious flavour!

yum!
    ~T~

Activia - I don't think we have it in the colonies - at least not over here in the desert.

Thanks for the explanation!
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRaven
    Its a wonderful all-over stretch routine too... see if you can find someone to teach you - I have learned through night classes with one of the local schools.
    So I guess that it can't be learned from the internet or books right ???
    You said it helps you to cope with your work. Do you mean like is relaxing you or what ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cristina
    Interesting you mention this yogurt. I recently spoke to one of the best doctors in my town and he said that Activia doesn't appear to have any of their advertised effects. Its just marketing you know ...
    I suppose that could be, however, I have traditionally hated yogurt, seriously not enjoyed it at all. And many of the newer yogurts that are out there are sweetened with aspartame or splenda which are very hard on my system, so I can't eat those at all. I hope that your doctor simply doesn't have the best information, but, even if he does, I'm really enjoying this brand!

Namaste,
    ~T~

ps...everything we buy is just marketing

Quote Originally Posted by LBTC
    I suppose that could be, however, I have traditionally hated yogurt, seriously not enjoyed it at all. And many of the newer yogurts that are out there are sweetened with aspartame or splenda which are very hard on my system, so I can't eat those at all. I hope that your doctor simply doesn't have the best information, but, even if he does, I'm really enjoying this brand!
    Namaste,
    ~T~
    ps...everything we buy is just marketing
    LBTC - another way to enjoy plain natural yoghurt is to put it on toast. You spread honey first and then add a spoon or two of natural yoghurt and spread over the top - yummy.
    I think this is from the Pritiken (spelling?) Diet, I have not used this diet but I knew a runner who had and put me onto the toast and yoghurt thing.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

I never liked yogurt much unless it had enough honey and goodies in it to cancel out its benefits - until I had some yogurt when we were honeymooning in Greece. It was so much richer and deeper in flavor, almost more like creme fraiche. I approximate it by lining a colander with cheesecloth and dumping lowfat or nonfat Stonyfield in there and letting it sit overnight. I'm sure it's higher calorically, but I'd rather cut the portion and enjoy it more.

By the way, Tai chi was really my gateway to getting in touch with my very ignored body. My husband and I were both dealing with a lot of emotional/physical stress, and we started taking classes together. We left it behind for more strenuous workouts and yoga, but I like knowing that it's there for me when I am older or want a change. It's very grounding and fluid, and my husband found it was the only kind of meditation that worked for him - because it kept his body engaged in the process, too.

Mmmmm... Greek yoghurt and honey...
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen
    So I guess that it can't be learned from the internet or books right ???
    You said it helps you to cope with your work. Do you mean like is relaxing you or what ?
    Hi there Helen
    I actually replied to this at length this morning, but the internet locked up on me, so will try and recreate what I wrote this morning... here goes...

How does tai chi help me cope with work... well, the best I can explain is that it "grounds" me. you have to focus on your breathing, and your balance, and shut out other thoughts... I guess some might talk about focusing on one's chakras... some might talk about universal energy entering through the top of your head and leaving through your feet... I think about it as reconnecting with the Goddess... however you think about it, the beginning of tai chi (sometimes spelt tai qi) is very much like meditation.

As you begin the form itself, you have to stay very focussed, so you tend to shut out all the peripheral stuff to being in the "right here and now"... you don't consider where the kids have to dropped off, whats for dinner, what your husband said, the deadline for the boss... nothing. You just focus on breathing and moving your body very slowly...

So, I find, when I have centred and grounded myself in this way - whether through a stretch routine, through tai chi or through meditation, I just find several days worth of stress seems much easier to cope with as the days wear on. And they do wear on... the expectations that we (as women) can hold down a job, hold together the family, look great, cook and clean for a household etc etc etc are huge from western society and it does wear us down.

I find this form of relaxation and meditation - as well as cycling/training - valid ways to ensure I have "me" time. And for some weird reason, women (in the western world) do tend to have to justify time they spend just on themselves...

But these forms of exercise increase my energy as well as my calm... and they make me a better person, as well as modelling the importance of aerobis activity, and self reflection to my children.

I hope this answers what you were asking. It doesn't seem to look like what I wrote earlier today...

Oh, and Helen, I forgot to say you can learn this from the net/books etc ... but it is very hard.

Often aerobics video tapes will be done in mirror image, but not tai chi - left and right are very important, so looking at/deciphering photos or video involve a bit of brain gym.

Also, it is good to have others there to help you with breathing and posture (though big windows give an ideal reflection if you are watching yourself).

I recommend joining a group and learning with a master... it is very individualistic - no talking through out really - just the instructions or encouragement from your leader/master... but very good to be part of the group while you are getting used to it.

Once you have mastered the form you are taught you can take it anywhere.

I do it in the park, in my garden, by the ocean, and people are so used to this kind of thing now I never get a funny look.

Good luck with it, hope you get a chance to try it and you enjoy it...

Observation

Because of some health issues, I have to be focused on my health more than I would like. But the good side of that is that I exercise and try to stay in good shape. I have noticed that alot of the women I know from church and other places are very focused on their children, sometimes to the point of really 'letting themselves go'. It might be my imagination, but sometimes I get the feeling that although they think I look great, I get the feeling a part of them thinks I'm either a. obsessive about it, or b. self-centered.

Because of my health I have decided not to have children, so I know I'm a little disconnected when it comes to understanding 'their' side. I know many of you have a family so I was wondering if you have a different opinion or have any of you ever felt the same way?

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRaven

I recommend joining a group and learning with a master... it is very individualistic - no talking through out really - just the instructions or encouragement from your leader/master... but very good to be part of the group while you are getting used to it.

Good luck with it, hope you get a chance to try it and you enjoy it...
    Thanks RoadRaven. So tahat you know, I already joined a group and I am very anxious to start my first Tai Chi lesson.

Do you often practice at home ?