Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Self-Supported Century!

To disable ads, please log-in.

DH and I got the nutty idea to do a self-supported climbing century today. We loaded up with energy bars, gels and the all important Sport Beans then hit road. We set out a little before 8:00 in 83% humidity, within 10 minutes I was drenched. The ride started with some rollers taking us out of Liberty Hill, we made the mistake of tackling 50 miles Saturday and 40 miles Sunday giving me the lead legs. I did get to enjoy the spotting of two Llamas I saw Saturday; I think they are just the cutest things. I did not enjoy opening weekend of Dove Season; the hunting is best early in the morning and it kept startling me!

The route got steeper as we went through Oatmeal, TX on the way to Burnet. Along this road we saw an Emu, fun! In Burnet we headed out of town to Park Road 4 and took on a ride we have done before (the Castle Ride). The pet deer was still there and chased us much like a dog along her fence line. This portion included a mile long decent where my sustained speeds were in the upper 30's to lower 40's. After Hoover Valley Cemetary you get onto Hoover Valley Road that is a complete grind, including a long section where 6 mph is fast. The best part is the recent floods damaged the road and it is partially soft gravel, great fun. The 50 mile castle portion (mile 25-75) is over 1,300 feet of climbing when done the way it is suggested, but we came through Oatmeal which is hillier and then took an alternate route to Bertram. Hard to say what how that changed the climbing data. One thing about the Texas hill country is our hills are short but steep. The rollers are nice but they are peppered with much steeper climbs.

After passing back through Burnet we headed through Bertram, Mahomet and onward to Liberty Hill. The ride back from Mahomet to our house is constant rollers and my quads were not cooperative for any climbing. We pulled into the neighborhood and realized we had to ride a little circuit to get up to 100 miles. We finished a little after 3:00, which was a long day. I am not sure how many of you do this frequently!

DH and I agreed this was fun, crazy and we would do it again but not often! The self-supported part meant we had to look for potties, didn't get stops with cookies or fluids already out for us. Other than Burnet and the last stretch to our neighborhood we didn't have any traffic. Oatmeal and Mahomet are communities with history but there isn't a lot out there now, a couple old churches like this one. Both of us are drained but feeling accomplished!

100.02 miles
    15.2 mph average
    Two water stops
    Two stops to eat (one energy bar, one to split Fig Newtons bought at the gas station)
    One stop to recover from the grinding climb up Hoover Valley Road!!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Whoo hoo, well done!! Dh and I did an unsupported century last week too. Who needs people handing you off drinks anyway eh? Fwiw, I enjoyed it but wouldnt' want to do them too frequently either...
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Congrats! That sounds like one crazy adventure. A self-supported century is certainly doable (you proved that), but not nearly as fun (no cookies set out- what's up with that?).
    Tough ride- but glad that you two got to do it together and that you had a nice adventure ride. Awesome average, btw (and on dead legs, to boot)!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

next thing you know, you'll join the crazy lady list

Quote Originally Posted by Fredwina View Post
    psssst... you mean she hasn't already???

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

I think given that was my third century in 45 days I can rightfully join the list?

Tri Girl- I really miss having an excuse to stop and eat Oreos. I mean when you pay you can't really pass on the free cookies, right? Oh and one ride had homemade cookies, I better stop!!

I forgot to mention the sweet little white goat I saw on the side of the road. She was just napping outside the fence, I wanted to load her on my bike and take her home. So freaking cute!! Plus a whole herd of Fallow Deer; I really don't have a clue what those are but they were on a farm.
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    I think given that was my third century in 45 days I can rightfully join the list?
    Ummm... yeah, you're on the list for sure!

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post

Tri Girl- I really miss having an excuse to stop and eat Oreos. ...
    Yes, you may
    7-eleven and Circle K carry oreos, ya know?

7-eleven and Circle K carry oreos, ya know?
    I have always thought they taste better when they are seemingly free!

Ok, I realize you pay $30-50 for those Oreos and a T-shirt.
    Amanda