Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Amish ride in Arthur IL

To disable ads, please log-in.

Is anyone doing the Bob Galloway Amish ride in Arthur IL in a couple weeks? Several of us did it the past couple years and really enjoyed it. The longer route is approx. 65 miles and it takes you thru the Amish community. It seems like they have a good turn out each year we have attended.

I see that your post is from Sept. 3, 07

However, I would like to try it this year. I am interested in doing this.
    Are you going to ride it this year?

~ Trekn Teresa ~

I've ridden it a couple of times and will plan on it again for this year. Fun ride with lots of yummy home made food afterwards!

Electra Townie 7D

I have done this ride for the past 3 years. Last year was the first time that I went to the lunch afterwards at the Mennonite school. The food was delicious, plenty of it and good desserts. We usually go up there and stay in Arcola the night before. Alot of folks camp at the school. It's such an enjoyable weekend for my friends and I, we visit the Amish stores afterwards also....we've had good weather every year so far for the ride. It was a bit chilly starting out last year but ended up being a pleasant day for riding.

lattae, and Queen,

Where are you gals from? If you don't mind me asking?
    I am from northern Illinois. It sure would be cool to
    meet up at least to say hello or something, when doing this ride.

Also if you gals are up for doing a century with a few hills the next weekend, in northern Illinois, please let me know. There is also a thread for the Northwest Illinois Century, Sept. 20th, 2008. No admission fee, no fundraiser...just a bunch of us getting together to ride...for the fun, and challenge!

Happy riding,
    ~ Trekn Teresa ~

I'm from southern area of the state, just outside St Louis region. I'm hoping I can do the ride this year but unsure at this time. My husband requested vacation and he wants to visit the Grand Canyon at this time of the year. But we'll see what happens. We had a nice group of us a couple years ago that did this ride and had a good time. Last year I did the ride alone(none of my riding buddies went along) but met several nice folks along the way. It was just a nice relaxing weekend away from the 3 teens in the house I ended up doing the extra long route and added the short route also to get in around 80 something miles.

I'm in Urbana so the Amish ride is just down the road from me.

I haven't done any Centuries (way too many knee surgeries) but if I manage to get in some longer rides over the summer I'd be interested in coming up and giving that ride a whirl.

Electra Townie 7D

Does anyone know the exact date of the ride this year? I really want to do it but want to try and reschedule time off for OOT vacation at a different time. Didn't know if it will be the 2nd or 3rd Saturday in Sept. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lattae View Post
    Does anyone know the exact date of the ride this year? I really want to do it but want to try and reschedule time off for OOT vacation at a different time. Didn't know if it will be the 2nd or 3rd Saturday in Sept. Thanks
    The website says September 13th for '08. http://www.decaturbicycleclub.org/arthur.html

Electra Townie 7D

Queen, thank you for the info. I didn't realize their site had the date already available.

So you both are definately going to try to make it for this ride?
    Are you going to be riding with a group or just yourselves?

I plan on doing this ride...will keep you informed
    as we get closer to the ride date. This should be fun.

Happy riding,
    ~Trekn Teresa ~

Bumpin' this one to the top. Any TE'ers still planning on going?

Electra Townie 7D

I'm glad you bumped it! Didn't know it existed and it's something I might be able to do.

(btw, Pax, I think you know my friend Sue from Champaign Surplus)

jill

Quote Originally Posted by jillm View Post
    I'm glad you bumped it! Didn't know it existed and it's something I might be able to do.

(btw, Pax, I think you know my friend Sue from Champaign Surplus)

jill
    I sure do! Sue is a hoot!

Are you going to try to make the ride?

Electra Townie 7D

I think so. Group rides make me nervous but it sounds like a lot of fun. (plus there's that Mennonite meal...mmmm) I'll let you know either way! How about you?