Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...

Any way to get caffeine out of one's system faster?

To disable ads, please log-in.

This is pretty random, but does anyone know of a quicker way than just waiting it out? I had to drive 4 1/2 hours this afternoon and at the beginning of the trip got a large iced coffee from Dunkin' Donuts (around 12:45; finished it around 3) since driving long distances tends to make me sleepy after a while. The only problem is that I am still wired, hyper, off-the-wall and feeling the urge to run around like a complete spaz now (7:30)!!!! Maybe next time I should stick with a small...
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Drinking lots of water seems to help me. Also a nice calming herbal tea (such as a peppermint) might make the effect feel less bad....

You have my sympathies. I'm the same way - I get sleepy, overcaffinate, and then regret it (I do have to give three cheers for Dunkin' Donuts, though - they're going trans fat free!!)
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by CA_in_NC View Post
    Drinking lots of water seems to help me. Also a nice calming herbal tea (such as a peppermint) might make the effect feel less bad....

You have my sympathies. I'm the same way - I get sleepy, overcaffinate, and then regret it (I do have to give three cheers for Dunkin' Donuts, though - they're going trans fat free!!)
    I've been drinking a bunch of water to try and flush it out; the tea might be a good idea if it weren't so HOT here. In case you're wondering, I'm still pretty well wired--you should have seen me pacing around in the yard while on the phone earlier! The neighbors probably think I'm crazy!!
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Maybe it's ethanol soluble?

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    LOL!!! Maybe it's time to pull out one of those bottles of Guinness that are in the back of the pantry...
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

I really like Jolt's idea the best! My solution to too much caffeine? A really technical mountain bike ride. :-) ...or I avoid it. I don't react too much to it, though. Just control your portions.

My fix for excess caffeine is Benadryl. Harsh but true. Check the bottle, and beware the hangover in the morning. I helps at the end of that 2nd 12 hour day, when I really need to sleep and can't.

PS: Love the tag line - you're a cardiac nurse too, aren't you?
    That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

I'll admit to drinking my share of caffeine while on road trips, but what I prefer to keep myself alert on the highways is to stop every 90 minutes or so andget out of the car for a bit. ten minutes walking around the rest area starts me breathing again...

Karen in Boise

Quote Originally Posted by mikki View Post
    My fix for excess caffeine is Benadryl. Harsh but true. Check the bottle, and beware the hangover in the morning. I helps at the end of that 2nd 12 hour day, when I really need to sleep and can't.

PS: Love the tag line - you're a cardiac nurse too, aren't you?
    Well, not an RN yet but am scheduled to be taking the NCLEX this winter. Then I'll be continuing in my program to become a nurse practitioner, and yes, I am planning to specialize in cardiology! Hey, at least the excessive caffeine didn't make my tag line appropriate in a different way!!
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    Well my first thought was wine... And, if you think about it, caffeine would totally be ethanol soluble.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

I wonder if Rescue Remedy would take the edge off?

Even a little bit of coffee makes me edgy/wired.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtDiva View Post
    Well my first thought was wine... And, if you think about it, caffeine would totally be ethanol soluble.
    Ah, better living through chemistry.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl