Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Chain jumping cogs

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm having a problem with my chain jumping down a gear while under load. I'll be riding along and and when I apply a little more force to the pedals the chain will jump up to the next larger cog (lower gear). Is this because my cable tension is too tight?
    As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." ~Benjamin Franklin

Or it could be time for new cables. At least that what my LBS told me when mine were doing that. Got mine changed and haven't had a problem since.
    If you can read this, take a pull.

Quote Originally Posted by li10up View Post
    I'm having a problem with my chain jumping down a gear while under load. I'll be riding along and and when I apply a little more force to the pedals the chain will jump up to the next larger cog (lower gear). Is this because my cable tension is too tight?
    Could be. Try slacking the tension a might, ie. moving barrel adjustor inward (clockwise). If this happens after a downshift, then AuntieK might be right that your cable isn't moving freely and a new cable, or at least regreasing the cable, could fix it.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Quote Originally Posted by li10up View Post
    A little grease in the cables is always good.

Does it act ok otherwise?

When this started happening to me, it was a sign that the cable was going. Even after greasing, etc. it didn't help, and the shifting by itself got worse until it decided to break as I was climbing the 10% grade hill up to my house (well, at least i was in the granny gear).

This can be cables, or derailleur adjustment, or a tight link in your chain.

Pedal your bike backwards slowly (not while you are on it) and see if the chain jumps a little anywhere. If it does, you probably have a tight link

spoke

My bike did that, especially when I would stand up to climb a hill, i had to have the rear derailler cable replaced.

Sorry for not responding earlier - I was out of town for a few days. Thanks for the input. I'll check the chain and make sure the cable is lubed.
    As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." ~Benjamin Franklin

I had this problem when I rode both unloaded and loaded on my tour. When I was in granny gear, the gears would jump off the cog,leaving me with the possibility of a broken chain.

Turns out it was both crappy cables (got them replaced) and a bent derailler (had to buy a new one)--there were no problems after that, so good luck!

grease the chain not the cable. And be sure to wipe of excess lubrication.