Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

As a male trying to organize a female only ride, I am so screwed.... PC I am not SOoooo, should it be "Ladies Ride"? "Women's Ride"? "Members of the opposite sex who want to kill Dan ride"? Maybe I'll start 10 minutes early with a box of Banana Keepers

Quote Originally Posted by El Hombre View Post
    As a male trying to organize a female only ride, I am so screwed.... PC I am not SOoooo, should it be "Ladies Ride"? "Women's Ride"? "Members of the opposite sex who want to kill Dan ride"? Maybe I'll start 10 minutes early with a box of Banana Keepers
    "Womens Ride" would be fine. Unless you normally have "Gentleman's Ride"?

Electra Townie 7D

Maybe I'll start 10 minutes early with a box of Banana Keepers
    Not quite sure what that's supposed to mean.
    Why would women want to go on a women's only ride led by a man?

Apologies to the women of the board for the thread drift but this is an example of why men should think at least five times before posting.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I'm assuming it was just a joke referring to the enthusiastic discussion around Banana Keepers earlier on this board, can't see anything offensive in that myself.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by zencentury View Post
    Not quite sure what that's supposed to mean.
    Why would women want to go on a women's only ride led by a man?

Apologies to the women of the board for the thread drift but this is an example of why men should think at least five times before posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    I'm assuming it was just a joke referring to the enthusiastic discussion around Banana Keepers earlier on this board, can't see anything offensive in that myself.
    Exactly. El Hombre is trying to organize a women's ride here in the PNW that would be like Cinderella or Little Red Riding Hood. I am really happy that he's interested in doing that and looking forward to helping him do it!
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

I remember being in middle school and high school (20+ yrs ago) during softball or basketball games, everytime one of us would get a great hit, or throw someone out or land a nice layup, we'd all yell "You woman, you!!!" Even our parents got into the act. It was a battle cry of female fierceness for us. Till this day, the only ones I can still say that to and not get the hairy eyeball are those particular women.
    I usually joke when called a lady that "you don't know me well enough to know if I'm a lady or not." I grew up in FL where it was common to say sir, ma'am... out of repect. In the NE, if you call a woman under the age of 45 "ma'am", you get nasty looks.
    I agree that in a sport setting or anywhere where the tone is professional, the word woman should be used. Lady has it's own spot for certain occasions. Girl is used only between very close friends. "You go girl" however is never allowed.

I do manage to slip sometimes, I have to admit. I errantly used the "young lady" on DGF just last night and got a look that could strip paint off the wall.
    Oh, that's gonna bruise...
    Only the suppressed word is dangerous. ~Ludwig Börne

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    I don't think men belong in certain discussions here. I have put him on the "ignore" list but unfortunately still see the name in posts. Coming from a woman the comment might be amusing.
    There are many women capable and willing to lead all women rides.

Don't even get me started on how degrading the "Little Red Riding Hood" and "Cinderella' names are for a ride. Each of those characters relied on a man to save her from an unfortunate situation. Blecch.
    I doubt many men would ride in the Little Jack Horner.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I remember in high school (1974-1978) our team name was the Eagles, we went to State my senior year and the papers would only refer to us as the Ea-girls.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by DDH View Post
    I read through this post and I use just about all these terms depending on the situation.

I think a lot of it depends on tone, and the situations you encounter.

I say "thanks hun" to the cashier when I check out.
    I say "hey what ya guys doing later" when talking to my girl friends.
    I say "yes Ma'am" in many situations.
    I say "hey you girls ever?" when asking a question.

I say Ya'll too, for a lot of things and don't use gender at all.
    LOL

Ditto. It's the intent behind the word that I notice, not so much the word itself.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

I believe it was some women on the board who dared him to offer these at the ride.

Go with #2 title! (and possibly #3 at this rate! )

The original thread.
    http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=16592

If I hadn't seen the original context for this, I'd be a bit p-o'd too.
    Last edited by teawoman; 08-31-2007 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boy in a kilt View Post
    ... certain black women are ma'am.
    I'm baffled by the need for the word black in this statement.

I admit I grew up and now live in areas where the diversity leans more towards those of European, First Nations and Asian decent, so perhaps it's my limited exposure and understanding of the racial tensions that African Americans face that makes this term seem not quite right. Can anyone help me out with understanding this?

Thanks,
    ~T~
    The butterflies are within you.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/picsiechick/

Buy my photos: http://www.picsiechick.com

Thanks for clarifying, Teawoman. Yeah, I was ticked at the post but the link to the previous discussion at least explained where it came from. Still, though, lesson to be learned here - if you make a joke and just assume everyone knows that background, it can really backfire!

Deb

Quote Originally Posted by zencentury View Post
    Don't even get me started on how degrading the "Little Red Riding Hood" and "Cinderella' names are for a ride. Each of those characters relied on a man to save her from an unfortunate situation. Blecch.
    I doubt many men would ride in the Little Jack Horner.
    Zen, no offense is intended to you, but apparently the thousands of women who ride in both of those events each year would disagree with you. I can't speak for LRRH because I haven't done it, but I've ridden Cinderella half a dozen times and it sells out every year on the day they open registration. 2,500 women. And it's a treat that a predominantly male cycling club has created an event for women -- an event where they cater to all the female riders who participate. I, for one, appreciate it. And take no offense at the name whatsoever. Actually, one of the treats each year is dressing up, decorating our helmets, and checking out all the fun costumes the other women have put together.

Lorri

Now I'm really confused. I hate to admit that I thought a banana-keeper had some sexual connotation. Then I looked at the link from the original post -- a banana keeper is a storage container for a banana so it doesn't get squished. I don't get it. Why are folks offended by that?

Quote Originally Posted by velogirl View Post
    but apparently the thousands of women who ride in both of those events each year would disagree with you.
    I haven't done either of these rides, but they sound fun to me.

That said, though, maybe it just makes me very unprincipled that I would be one of those women who might do the ride, to have the fun of riding with a bunch of women, but still hate the name.

I actually had a man throw at me in an argument once that I just wanted to be Cinderella (NOT, but then that's why there was an argument).
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury