Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

To disable ads, please log-in.

Janice is a GREAT D.C. Tour Guide.
    I think she has forgotten more about that city than I will ever know!

I, too, avoid chains - even when I'm home!

Just tell me where to go and what stop to get off of from the Metro, and I'll be there!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    Janice is a GREAT D.C. Tour Guide.
    I think she has forgotten more about that city than I will ever know!
    Uh, gee thanks, but I only know the basics to get me through a tour for out of town relatives. Mostly I just look at a map.

Like Tam, I wish that November wasn't two months away, but I guess we have something to look forward to!

Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    Uh, gee thanks, but I only know the basics to get me through a tour for out of town relatives. Mostly I just look at a map.
    Janice, you did a much more tourist-friendly route than I would have. My idea of sight-seeing is to show people Watergate and the Exorcist Stairs
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    Janice, you did a much more tourist-friendly route than I would have. My idea of sight-seeing is to show people Watergate and the Exorcist Stairs
    Exorcist stairs?????
    Jeez, Janice. Do we have to add that one to the list?
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

The Exorcist Stairs are in Georgetown, so they're a little bit off our route

There's a set of steep stairs running along the wall of what used to be the Car Barn, from a gas station parking lot across from Key Bridge, up to a row of townhouses. In the novel, the events of the story took place in one of those townhouses. In the movie, there's a scene in which a guy (one of the priests, I think) gets thrown down those stairs. I've actually never seen the movie because the book scared me too much, but when I used to work in Georgetown I got a big kick out of showing people the Exorcist Stairs. These days, they're more notorious as a killer workout spot for runners.

Madscot just moved to G'town, she'll have to check 'em out.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."

I've never seen the Exorcist Stairs. I guess I've got to add it to my list of things to see in DC.

The movie came out when I was about 12 or 13. I remember wanting to see it but my dad saying no, that it was too scary for a kid. I saw it many years later on television and it didn't have the same impact that it would have seeing it on a big screen in a dark theater.

I hope to be able to start light spinning again in late September or early October. If this works out I should be good to go for this ride!
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

one of my teammates enjoys running those stairs. he's clearly insane.

I get to see those twice a year. Every time I have to go to Georgetown U. Hospital, the same place where Madscot is learning brain surgery (just kidding, that's not what she's studying )

They are pretty cool looking
    but I don't know if they're that cool looking.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by zencentury View Post
    They are pretty cool looking
    but I don't know if they're that cool looking.
    They're cool in context. If you don't know the Exorcist connection, they're just really steep stairs that crazy people like Catherine's buddy try to give themselve heart attacks on

I meant not-that-cool-looking-to-ride-too-far-out-of-the-way-for cool looking.

It would be like in National Lampoon's "Vacation" when they stopped for three minutes to look at the Grand Canyon.

I think the public transportation is good in the DC area, right? Would love to see the Exorcist stairs but I'm strange that way. Might be going to a concert there in November, have my choice between there and some other cities. Have never been to DC and I'm thinking those stairs might sell it

The club I'd be going to is the Black Cat. Has anyone ever been there? Is it recommended?

I used to go to the 9:30 Club, but I haven't been to the Black Cat. What show are you planning to see, teigyr?

Probably the easiest way to get to Georgetown to see the ExStairs is to take the Circulator from wherever you're staying downtown. If you get off the bus near the intersection of M & Wisconsin, it's then about a 3-4 block walk westward on M to the Exxon Gas station just past Key Bridge. Or, you can drive (or pedal!). The stairs are tucked in the corner of the gas station parking lot. Unfortunately, the rest of Georgetown isn't as interesting as it used to be (sorry, Madscot)

A group called Stiff Little Fingers. They're an aging Irish punk-type band from way back when. It's tradition to see them when they get to the states. Unfortunately, they're only playing six shows, all of them in the eastern parts of the U.S. Boston would be easy because I've been to the venue and I know how to get around but it would be good to expand my horizons That and the Exorcist stairs...that movie still scares me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    Unfortunately, the rest of Georgetown isn't as interesting as it used to be (sorry, Madscot)
    That's for sure. It's like going to the mall now.The shopping mall, not the National Mall.

Tam, do you remember a club called The Wax Museum? I think it was on E street. Back in the early eighties I saw Willie Dixon and John Lee Hooker there. It had tiered seating and tables at the entry level, in the back of that seating.
    You were probably in junior high then
    Sound the Geezer alarm (for me, I mean)
    Quote Originally Posted by teigyr View Post
    That and the Exorcist stairs...that movie still scares me.
    I was about to call you a jet-setter until I realized how old that made me sound The Exorcist is a good one, alright but I think the only movie that actually made me scream was Carrie, at the end when the hand came up out of the grave

Excuse me while I go look for a nursing home.

Quote Originally Posted by zencentury View Post
    I was about to call you a jet-setter until I realized how old that made me sound The Exorcist is a good one, alright but I think the only movie that actually made me scream was Carrie, at the end when the hand came up out of the grave

Excuse me while I go look for a nursing home.
    Um...I was at another concert (another aging punk-type band, go figure) and there were tons of young'uns there. I got to talking to one of them and mentioned one of the shows I had seen that same band in way back when. The guy practically bowed down in front of me and said that must have been SO cool...and then he kind of wanted to know about the good old days, not in those exact words. I wanted to die. I don't feel old! And that was said with my very best whining voice. I'm not ready to be the person clinging to the past but I do like these shows and sometimes these kids today irk me. Dang.

On the lighter side, yes. Carrie was VERY scary. The Exorcist stairs though...I'd have to put the theme song on the ipod if I went to see them