Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

Last-minute ride idea - Rock Creek Park - 8/25

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey all.
    I won't be doing N2 as I have a morning commitment, but I do want to get out for a bike ride tomorrow (Saturday, 8/25).
    Since I'd be riding solo, I thought I'd throw it out here and see if anyone would like to keep me company.
    Because it's supposed to be a scorcher of a hot day, I'd like to do Rock Creek Park, as it tends to be a bit cooler there.
    So....I propose to meet at Rock Creek Park, at the Corner of Garrett Park Rd and Beach Drive in Kensington (there's a parking lot there), at 11 or 11:15. We'll just ride down Beach into the District and out. It's about 30 miles or so (longer if you ride there) and flat with some really minor climbs (but I intend to do the hill at Military in RCP).
    Join me if you can. Pace will be moderate (cruising at about 18 mph with frequent stops for traffic lights).
    Join me if you can. PM me so I'll know to look for you.
    Last edited by 7rider; 08-24-2007 at 01:24 PM.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

It's going to be brutal hot at 11:00.
    I'm riding in the mountains tomorrow, not much cooler there either
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I'm paddling on Saturday, and dunno yet what I'm doing on Sunday. Depends on the chance of thunderstorms...
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by zencentury View Post
    It's going to be brutal hot at 11:00.
    Okay. So maybe I'll be doing 15 mph!
    And....I'll be wearing a Camelbak.

I won't be doing any riding this weekend...still resting my knee...and going crazy
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Yeah, looking at the weather forecast, I've decided that tomorrow's a good day to do something besides a bike ride. It's supposed to be way hotter than today, and this afternoon's commute was brutal.

Okay, okay....
    Maybe I'll ride rollers in our air conditioned basement!!
    I really want to ride....and NOT move stuff back into the kitchen and clean the house.
    And the heat is just NOT cooperating with my procrastinating!!

Rollers in air-conditioning was probably a good choice, R. I met Jay for a paddle this morning down at Riverbend Park on the Potomac... We launched around 9:30am, and it took less than two hours for the heat & humidity to leave me drained and head-achy. Sucked, because that section of the river is gorgeous
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

I'm probably doing a solo ride Sunday morning. Depending on weather, maybe a short out-and-back on MacArthur, maybe out to Great Falls, maybe the "espresso ride" if I can get the course to work on my Garmin (I usually just follow people).

Any takers? Nothing going on with the team right now. Just got back in town today (Sat).

Ideally, I'd leave Foggy Bottom / Georgetown around 9am, but if any of you MD people want to join from somewhere down at this end, I could go later. Clouds should keep some of the heat off tomorrow. Just need to watch for rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    Rollers in air-conditioning was probably a good choice, R. I met Jay for a paddle this morning down at Riverbend Park on the Potomac... We launched around 9:30am, and it took less than two hours for the heat & humidity to leave me drained and head-achy. Sucked, because that section of the river is gorgeous
    leave out the river part and I could say much the same. I was on the verge of heat stroke but stubbornly put in 24 miles. My headache has finally gone away
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Well, I didn't even hit the rollers today, but I got rid of the old fridge and unpacked a whole bunch of boxes into the new kitchen! So I guess the day wasn't a total loss.

Catherine...join us at the Bicycle Place on Grubb Rd, off Beach Drive at 8:30 for their "sprited" ride through Potomac. I think it would be right up your alley and goes out these roads you mention. You'd have to touch base with the guys in the shop and sign a waiver to join the group (you can relate...it's the lawyers! ) If it's not raining in the a.m., I plan to be there.

Yeah... I had 3 weeks off in Europe and then I took last week off for being sick. I haven't done enough rides yet to keep up with that crowd right now unfortunately. I'm in back to basics mode right now.

Anyone a little less "spirited" want to join me?