Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Creaks

Creaks

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have a mixte I purchased used. It is a single speed. I've put a new saddle, handlebars and headset on it. Sometimes when I'm riding it starts creaking. It doesn't matter if I'm coasting or pedaling and it doesn't happen all of the time, but once it starts it seems to go about once per wheel turn. I can feel it in my seat, and it seems to becoming either from under me or behind me, but it's steel, so I can't pinpoint the noise because it travels so well through steel. I've watched the wheel and there isn't anything moving when it creaks so it must be internal somewhere. I'm thinking it's the hub or the bottom bracket. Is this possible?
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

If it happens when you coast, then probably not the bottom bracket. Does it creak with your weight both on and off the saddle? Try swapping wheels with someone and see if the creak goes away.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Thanks Deb, I was hoping you would reply. That coasting thing had me going too. I would have already swapped the wheels, but they are 27". I'll go on a search for one. Thanks!
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Have someone hold your bike for you and spin your front wheel as hard as you can. If you feel vibrations then the bearing are bad in the hub.

My front hub starting "pinging", sounded like a rock hitting the spokes, but there were no rocks around. It did it when pedaling or coasting, I checked my computer sensor, took the wheel off and repositioned it but I couldn't find the source so I took it to the bike shop.

The guy who looked at it immediately spun the wheel while I was holding my bike and I could feel vibrations on my tt. I could hear that the wheel was not spinning smoothly.

I don't know if this is the correct description but at high speeds I can feel a rumble or wobble in the front.

I get a similar creaking when my saddle gets loose. Need to tighten it again actually... it was doing it on my ride today. Makes a good excuse to check the bike over