Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Florida has a series

To disable ads, please log-in.

I"m in Florida and we have a couple of series here. It was my first year racing here in Florida last "fall", it was really strange to be racing cyclocross in 85 degree and sunny weather. Strange but nice! I hate being cold. Georgia has a series to, that's where I've raced before, but Georgia does get chilly in the fall

Steph

Update

I thought I would let you all know where I am in my venture to try cross. I decided that with all that was suggested that my road bike wouldn't work, so I purchased a Bianchi San Jose. I was all excited to give it a try and had visions of how much fun I was going to have. Well I went to my first clinic and OMG, all this mounting and dismounting stuff is hard and I started to feel like a total loser. Currently I am still pretty scared to try to dismount and remount but I am trying to concur my fears. I just hate how I am so afraid to try new things yet other people just get out there and do it. Some day I am going to be as good as I am in my dreams! Practice makes perfect (or in my case, just better than I am now)!

Oh, I forgot to mention that the bike I got is a single speed. I thought it was a great idea because of the lower cost and all but dang I don't know if I am a strong enough rider to ride single speed. Anyone's thoughts on single spead?
    Last edited by Fuji Mommy; 09-09-2007 at 01:45 PM.

Fuji Mommy - I can't comment on the single speed because I've never ridden one. But, regarding the mounting and dismounting, I recommend that you don't get too caught up on doing it "correctly" right from the beginning. If that part scares you, just do it how you're most comfortable doing it. I saw quite a few women doing cross their own way last year and it looked like so much fun that I'm trying it this year. I know that the technical stuff takes time and practice, but until then, I'm just going to try and have fun.

Good luck and keep us posted on how your first race goes!

You got the bike! That is half the battle right there. I am afficionado of steel frames and singlespeed bikes myself, so I am pretty keen on that Bianchi San Jose you got.

I too wouldn't worry too much about the mounting and dismounting part yet. You will see others who are not smooth or quick with that at a race, and it's not a huge deal. Get off and on as best you can as you feel comfortable. I learned the dismount from reading instructions online. I learned the mount from watching people do it.

Now, about a singlespeed. I ride a singlespeed mountain bike sometimes, and a singlespeed commuter a lot, and I have to say, sister, it ain't always easy. I do singlespeed for fun, but I don't do singlespeed when I race 'cross. Riding singlespeed requires quite an effort. A possible advantage in 'cross would be that you'll probably pass your competitors on the uphills, as they downshift. At any rate, you'll have the coolest bike in the race!

Velonews.com has some decent videos on dis-/re-mounting. Go here and click on How-To in the menu bar across the top. The guy makes a good point to practice it slowly until you get a feel for proper positioning.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

No experience with cross racing or mounts/dismounts, but the 42x17 is considered a manageable *road* gear. You will still need to power your starts, which will either take strength or eventually build it, lol.

It might be worth getting a 16T (harder) or more likely an 18T or 19T (easier) cog depending on how difficult or manageable the gearing feels for you. You can usually bump a cog up or down 1 tooth without changing the chain. Surly cogs are supposed to be very high quality and they make cogs in 19T.

you can't go less than 16T in rear cogs, so if you find the bike lacking in power, you'll want to add a larger 46 or 48 chainring in front. (Three teeth in front = one rear tooth in rear). But with cross riding I don't expect this'll happen.