Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

rear rack on a road bike?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi -

I'm a new road bike owner ... Trek Pilot 1.2 WSD ... and I'm wondering about racks / panniers on road bikes. Is that taboo - like putting a kick stand on a road bike? More importantly, I don't want to add too much extra weight since the thing I love most about this bike is how light it is. On th other hand, I'm riding with a backpack and I kind of hate it. Actually, my lower back kind of hates it. I'd love to lighten the load on my back without messing up my bike. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    - Betsy

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Does the bike have eyelets for a rack?
    If you want one, and it helps the kind of riding you do, and the bike can accept one, then put a rack on it!
    If you want to do rides light and fast, without a rack, look for a rack that can clamp onto your seatpost (assuming you don't have a carbon seatpost, as I don't think you can put a rack on one of those) that you can quickly remove for "rack free riding."
    Last edited by 7rider; 08-19-2007 at 06:05 PM. Reason: carbon caveat.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

If it will make you more comfortable and the your bike can accept a rack I vote to do it! I have an old touring bike that came with a rack and I love it. Keep in mind weight has never been an issue given my bike tips the scales at about 30 lbs so the light weight rack did not add a lot of weight to my "tank." I also have a kick stand on my bike and love it as well. Again, weight is not the issue convenience and comfort are, at least for me.
    Marcie

The Pilot 1.2 has a carbon seatpost.
    I have a seatbag that I stuffed a pair of pants in today.
    how much stuff do you need to carry?
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I don't believe the Trek 1.2 has eyelets for a rack.

You could do a seatpost rack, but with a carbon fiber seatpost, it could be problematic. I had a friend who put one on hers and did a light loaded tour with no problems. However, CF is a little unpredictable and when it fails, it fails catastrophically with little warning.

If you don't have a ton of stuff to pack in, you could try the velo-orange Ostrich or carradice saddle bags.

Trek offers a carbon fiber seat post that is reinforced with aluminum inside. If you get that one, then you can put a seat post rack on it but there is still a limit of 25# for the rack. I got one so when I ride to work I could ditch the backpack and carry my stuff more easily. At first I took the rack off for recreational rides, but it's too much bother. Much more convenient to just leave it on. Do I care what other cyclists think? Not hardly!
    Last edited by withm; 08-19-2007 at 09:13 PM.

My husband commutes on his carbon trek5500 with a carradice sqr slim bag, but he changed out the carbon seatpost for a thompson aluminum one (also light weight). He also removes the bag clamp (3 oz) for club riding. Another friend does the same, but has two seatpost/saddles, one that is aluminum for carrying the carradice bag and one that is carbon for fast club rides, and he just switches them. I also commute with this bag (just google carradice sqr slim), but keep it always on my commuter bike. It is the lightest option I know for commuting, and will hold a laptop plus some clothes, lunch, etc.

My bike is how I get around. So it's got a rack. It's got a kickstand. It's got lights. All those "uncool" things that add extra weight but make it better for getting around .

Since your seatpost is carbon, a handlebar bag or big saddlebag might work better than trying to go for a seatpost rack. It can be really easy to overload a seatpost rack, and they get exciting if they're overloaded.

If you find yourself wanting to do a lot of utility biking, you may want to get a bike that can take a rack and fenders, and keep the pilot for going *zoom*.

If you can get it on, put it on!

People on road bikes need to carry stuff too.
    Now if you're racing, that's different.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I put a rear rack on my cannondale and don't know how I commuted without it. It was a pain in the neck to do, took about 3 hours and about 500 4 letter words(should have been 15 minutes and maybe 2 four letter words). BUT trust me, I use it every day and my back loves me and now I don't DRIVE to work every weekend to dump my work clothes and food. I commute it daily! Good luck!

Somerville, I think you should put a rack on if you have a lot you need to carry and your bike is equipped with eyelets. My bianchi road bike has a rack I put on for tours even though there was no eyelets on the seat post stays. My DH put old tube casing to protect paint-with tarp clips to screw bike rack into. Most all the weight is on the bottom dropout eyelets. Why would a bike be made with only one set of eyelets? Dorkiest of the dork, but I love having my house with me if I need it on the road and my back free.