Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

You avoid lines and cracks large enough to eat your front wheel......except that your walking.

Did that this morning

You realize you work in too trendy of an area because the only place to get undies is Vicky's.

(First commute ever and forgot to pack them)

Quote Originally Posted by onimity View Post
    ...you walk past your car to find that yellowjackets have nested in the door!
    Love it.

You need to wash your car every time you take it out, because it is so long between uses, that dust & debris pile up on it. Poor car.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    This whole thread has cracked me up!!!! Thank you for starting it. I've done nothing but laugh for the last 10 minutes.

I'm starting to do a hybrid commute to work (park 9 miles from home and ride the last 16 to work). 25 is just too far two times when it's this dark outside. Now, when the days get longer, I may consider the whole distance- but even then it's a long way (and 4 hours of riding a day is just a bit much for even me)...

Quote Originally Posted by coyote View Post
    You avoid lines and cracks large enough to eat your front wheel......except that your walking.

Did that this morning
    I did that in the car yesterday when I had to drive in. Saw a huge groove in the road and moved over (I think the car tires are wide enough to not get sucked in, duh! ). Had my first crash last month when my tire got caught in a big road groove. Now I see EVERY one I pass (in vehicle or not).
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Complete strangers recognize you in the elevator as a bike commuter, and ask "Didn't you ride today?" when they see you, not in bike clothes or carrying your helmet or panniers.

That happend to me today...was lugging a 20 pound brick, er...laptop with me that I used at a conference. I decided to let Metro help me carry it, rather than putting it on the bike. I had some guy...I have no idea who he is...ask me why I wasn't riding today. I guess I'm known in the building!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

...when you hear more geese honking on your way to work than cars honking! At least on my commute, that's the case! Don't hate me because I'm lucky!

On the other hand, I almost hit a deer this morning. I am really missing morning light... It was an outline of a svelte gray silhouette as it hopped across the path. Ahh, life in the north.
    2007 Trek 5000
    2009 Jamis Coda
    1972 Schwinn Suburban

"I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood."
    Susan B. Anthony, 1896

...you have a duplicate set of makeup and hair products at the office because you don't like riding with it on your skin. Just hope you don't find something really expensive that you really like (the Philosophy counter loves me - I buy two of everything).

...you are treated as the office expert on the seasonal weather changes

...you are one of the few people who realize the door between the mens and womens bathroom is a shower and changing room (true!)

...your weekly lunch supplies take up half the bottom shelf of the communal fridge.

...you've lost track of how many times you've had to answer "how far do you ride to work"
    "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There's something wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym." -- Bill Nye

crashed real bad

when the boss threatens to fire u if u ever get near a bike again...
    good news.. i'm alive

i am typing this from my hospital bed, been here since last wednesday. have had two surgeries on my right arm, have at least 3 more over the next few months. can't walk, but should be able to in the next few weeks. going home today or tomorrow in a wheelchair, still w/ unbelievable pain. thinking about hanging up the bike. got hit in a crosswalk by an 80 year old man going over 40mph in a suv who didn't even see that there was a light. plain lucky to be alive. happened right in front of hospital, so docs were there in less than a minute and a fire fighter stabilized me until then. i have lots of support as i work at this hospital, but i miss riding so much. not looking 4 pity, just support and understanding. no head injuries or torso, just back and limbs (left arm works and has iv lines fot morphine and antibiotics). do u think i should get back on?

Quote Originally Posted by invsblwmn View Post
    when the boss threatens to fire u if u ever get near a bike again...
    good news.. i'm alive

do u think i should get back on?
    Goodness, I'm so sorry you got hit! First focus on taking care of yourself and healing. Afterwards you can decide whether you want to get back on a bike or not.

For what it's worth... you could've been a pedestrian crossing that same street and the same 80 yo guy might have run the light and hit you. Food for thought, anyhow.

Get well soon!

OMG How terrible! I don't know what to say, except, thank heavens you're alive, and "just" limbs hurt.

Agh, who gives a **** what you do with your bike right now. Just work on getting healed, and find out later what you want to do with a body that WORKS. If you still want to ride a bike, then go for it, if not, do something else. Not biking for a few months or a year means zip in the long run.

Being in longterm pain must be a real bummer. I feel for you. Take all the pain meds you can get, kick the pain med addiction later... OK, you medical types can all jump on me now.

(forgive me for butting in, but I re-posted your story 'cos I felt it deserved a thread all its own.)
    Last edited by lph; 10-01-2007 at 01:55 AM. Reason: meddling
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

To the Invisible Woman!!!

Perhaps you need to change your name to "SEE ME HERE woman"!!!

Here is a short story for you - I posted in the crazy driver forum about 3 local club members who were knocked off their bikes early on a Sunday morning. Jo went into the windscreen and then onto the road while her bike went under the car, Ray and Shona were thrown aside with their bikes into the gutter/ditch.

All three have been along to club races to help with marshalling. Jo has been out riding on bike paths and off road. Ray and Shona were along on Saturday. Shona didn't sign up for the race, though she did ride it - neck brace and all. Ray was on what looked like a kids chopper - just an adult size. Very upright and I guess that is to do with his recovery process.

They love cycling so much they are all experimenting with ways that feel right to get back on their bikes.

IW, just take your time on your path to recovery - its going to be a tough-at-times mental, physical and spiritual journey. Believe in your self, be patient with yourself.
    Kia kaha, kia manawanui
    Awhi awhi and aroha from NZ

~Raven~

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

When you wear your bike jersey under a jacket all day because you FORGOT your Shirt.
    (You don't think anyone will notice, will you???)
    @LIGHTSABE*R(::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Beginner Triathlete Log

you check the weather before making a doctor's appointment that you can't ride to... and you pick a rainy day so you don't mess up a perfectly good ride day.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Your boss lets you know when she's going grocery shopping so she can get your lunch favorites (yeah, she's pretty awesome!).

You drive in on your day off to bring clean clothes for the next work week.

You go commando 'cuz that's the only option when the undies are forgotten and you work in the sticks!

--Greeting truck drivers and getting a honk in response is the highlight of your day
    --Your friends let you know when they're going to to laundry/grocery shopping in advance
    --You know which of your office-mates cars your bike fits in, and who drives via your turn-off

(so I ride in Alaska, and really when there's new snow/falling snow/freezing rain then I'm more than happy to graciously accept offers of rides home - I like to think of it as their good deed for the day)