Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

"Your helmet serves as a hair styling device"

Oh yeah. I even told the hairdresser "I want lots of choppy wind-blown looking layers in a sort of bowl-bob cut." and she said, "you've already got that."

- even though you packed a great corporate style outfit, shoes and all, for a meeting, you forgot about outerwear, and walk to the meeting in your cycling rain/windbreaker jacket and black wool watch cap, and cycling gloves.

-You're not mad when you come out on a rainy night to find someone had put a discarded plastic cup over one of your foam bar grips. At least one of them will be dry tonight!

-while driving your car at night, you expect the headlights to follow your head movements.

-you wake up in the morning, look out at the sloppy weather and think, "do I HAVE to???" and then, after a few minutes thinking about it, you think, "no, I don't have to, but I WANT to!"
    I can do five more miles.

Quote Originally Posted by indigoiis View Post
    "-you wake up in the morning, look out at the sloppy weather and think, "do I HAVE to???" and then, after a few minutes thinking about it, you think, "no, I don't have to, but I WANT to!"
    Rock ON!
    The space and time for what you WANT is being occupied by what you have settled for

"You say bark I say bite / You say shark I say hey man / Jaws was never my scene / And I don't like Star Wars"

BikeDFW - Dallas and Fort Worth Area Cycling Advocacy Organization

Quote Originally Posted by indigoiis View Post
    "Your helmet serves as a hair styling device"

Oh yeah. I even told the hairdresser "I want lots of choppy wind-blown looking layers in a sort of bowl-bob cut." and she said, "you've already got that."
    I love my hairdresser because when told "something that will look good after I've been sweating under a bike helmet, that I only need to blow dry" gives me a GREAT haircut.

You turn down multiple offers of rides home, preferring to ride home yourself in 32-degree torrential rain with heavy wind.
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

Never give up. Never surrender.

Quote Originally Posted by kfergos
    You turn down multiple offers of rides home, preferring to ride home yourself in 32-degree torrential rain with heavy wind.
    Monday we had "wintry mix" falling from the sky. A fellow in the lab seemed very worried about me and offered twice to give me a ride.

I didn't accept because I didn't need a ride. I had a ride: my bike. Even in that kind of weather, I feel safer on my bike than in a car.

A few weeks ago the roads were not great. I took my daughter to school in the car, returned home, left the car at home for my husband to use to get to his classes, and biked to work as usual. On the car journey, I slipped twice and had to pump the brakes to keep control (nothing major, but to be expected in those conditions). On the bike journey, I did not lose control once, or even feel I might lose control.

So, although the temperature is uncomfortable, I really believe I'm safer on my bike. No one else is convinced. They say things like "other cars could lose control, and on your bike they'll kill you instead of ruining your bumper". I just don't agree.
    Last edited by Melalvai; 02-14-2008 at 08:13 AM.

With bad weather, do you use your mountain bike?
    I have a mountain bike but my lights are on my commuter bike, which has skinny tires. Also, I wonder if using a mtb would compromise speed (meaning, I'd have to leave earlier...) ?
    I can do five more miles.

Last winter with bad weather I would ride my rock hopper to work. It was about 20% slower but safer. The cannondale roadie in snow is a no no. I just bungeed a cheapo helmet light to the handlebars ($10 wally world). It gave me a better workout with those knobby tires. Be safe!
    "Do or do not. There is no "try." Yoda

Rock hopper with studded tires in the winter (yesterday, riding through well over an inch of flowing water at points, it was kind if like boating). And yes, it's definitely slower.
    Almost a Bike Blog:

Quote Originally Posted by susiej View Post
    I love my hairdresser because when told "something that will look good after I've been sweating under a bike helmet, that I only need to blow dry" gives me a GREAT haircut.
    Speaking of hairdressers, imagine the look on my hairdresser's face, and the other stylists at the salon as, after plunking down $$ on getting my hair cut and blow dried and looking fabulous, I say thank you and goodbye, while putting on my helmet to ride home. They don't know what to think.

YOu Know you are hooked on Bike Commuting when.....

You apologize to your bike for leaving it in the garage all day

While driving (!) to work, you try to downshift as you approach a stoplight.
    Almost a Bike Blog:

You Know you are hooked on Bike Commuting when.....

Your cubicle resembles your laundry room

Ouch. That hits a leetle close to home today and the boss just came by

(But at least the *bicycle* wasn't under the desk, too... and the boss likes me...)

...when on one of the rare times that you're driving the car, you start to signal "left!" and your arm hits a closed window

... When you ask "They have drive-in gas stations?"

What I meant to say was "covered" gas stations, which is still ridiculous sounding. Needless to say, I am now that removed from car culture