Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

You know you're officially a bike commuter when...

To disable ads, please log-in.

You go on a trail ride on the weekend which involves driving the car to the trail head, and when you get home at the end of the way and pull into your driveway, for a split second you think "Ohmygoshwhere'smycar!?!?!!" before you realize "You're in it, you knucklehead!"

... you gaze longingly at potential routes out your bus window.

... you know exactly how much your bike *should* wiggle in the bus rack.

... you carry your bike commuter map with you everywhere, and use it to give car drivers directions.

... there are some things you only know how to get to by bike. "well, RedHook is just off the Sammamish trail." "Theo Chocolates is just off the Burke Gilman trail." "TiCycles is right next to the trail."

... you buy food for your big dog in little bags, because they fit better in your Ortlieb panniers.

... you wish you could pop your car up onto the sidewalk and take a break when traffic gets hairy.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 08-18-2007 at 06:48 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

...you don't have the foggiest idea what gas prices are these days (and you like it that way!).

...you don't pack your lunch in Tupperware, because it bruises your spine.

...you long ago accepted that your work clothes will have more wrinkles than a shar-pei.

...you assess the shoulder width, hilliness, and road conditions from a bicyclist's perspective even when in a car.

...you daydream about your commute home during the workday!
    Last edited by kfergos; 08-20-2007 at 10:50 AM. Reason: added daydream
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

Never give up. Never surrender.

-- you wobble your steering wheel while sitting at a red light as if track-standing in your CAR!!!

***yes this is personal experience!
    I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect.

you have three complete outfits in your locker at work.
    You have two pairs of shoes at work.

when you drive your car to work people ask you where your bike is.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

--- Get dressed in the morning and put the bike shoes on forgetting that you are taking the car.

...When you need to drive the car one day for a specific errand, and realize that the tags expired last month!!

Quote Originally Posted by bouncybouncy View Post
    -- you wobble your steering wheel while sitting at a red light as if track-standing in your CAR!!!

***yes this is personal experience!
    Oh, very nice!
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

... you carry your bike commuter map with you everywhere, and use it to give car drivers directions.

... there are some things you only know how to get to by bike.
    Oh, I have *so* done these!

...you assess the shoulder width, hilliness, and road conditions from a bicyclist's perspective even when in a car.
    I was gonna come back and post that one, but ya beat me to it!

...you have to drive to work one day for some reason, and find you have nothing much to wear - all your favorite clothes are in your locker at work

...you do much of your clothes / household items shopping at thrift stores and hate to pay more than five or six dollars for a blouse or a set of dishes...but think nothing of saving up over a hundred to pay for panniers or lights, or spending seventy or eighty on a saddle.

...you get dressed for work on a morning when you're not riding and realize you have no work appropriate shoes at home and have to wear flip flops

You drive the car to work one day, and it feels like you're driving the living room couch with the house around it.

...and on those days you have to take the car, you need to think to remember the auto route - 'cause you take the bike trail to work.

Also, on nasty weather days the Big Boss "just happens" by and "casualy" asks if you rode in, then seems happy that you did.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

car

Yesterday I rode my car for about the first time in about 3 months to work, I came to a light ,and signaled a right turn with my hand.

Talking

...your boss accuses you of using your cubicle for a closet...
    ...you spend more on cycling clothes than you would have on gas...
    ...25 co workers offer you a ride when its raining and you just smile and they say "nevermind"
    ...you get excited that Propel comes in powder because its lighter to carry for the refill on the way home...
    ...you realize that 2 inches clearance between your mirror and a bmw's mirror is actually PLENTY of room despite the finger of the driver saying otherwise...

Quote Originally Posted by MomOnBike View Post
    ...and on those days you have to take the car, you need to think to remember the auto route - 'cause you take the bike trail to work.
    Or you get all flustered if you have to drive to work, because you don't actually KNOW the auto route. And you come to work insane with frustration from being stuck in traffic and NOT BEING ABLE TO GET OUT!

("living room couch with the house around it" - love it )
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett