Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

When you do drive the car, any speed over 25 mph seems so fast!

When your driving, you CAN'T do those rolling right turns on red lights when there's no traffic.

I had to call work yesterday because I was working at home. I got chewed out last month cause I had an appointment and got to work about two hours later than usual. They all though I was dead on the side of the road somewhere. Nothing like having 4 mothers to worry about ya! bikerHen

Edit to add: You feel so dang guilty every time you have to drive somewhere!
    Last edited by bikerHen; 08-22-2007 at 10:38 AM.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    I took my truck to work, and got a $35 parking ticket because I forgot to feed the meter!!
    I NEVER have to feed the meter when I park my bike!!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Heh...when I drove last weekend, I ended up taking a turn at near full speed, and leaned wayy over in my seat. It works to lean into curves on the bike...but you can't exactly lean a big ol' honkin' mini-van in the same way. Oops!

it feels like you're driving the living room couch with the house around it.
    I love that!

- you pack your car for a trail ride, the put your helmet on and get in the car.

- you approach a red light, look both ways and then go through it.

- you only know how to get to certain places via the bike path.

Quote Originally Posted by invsblwmn View Post
    ...you spend more on cycling clothes than you would have on gas...
    ...25 co workers offer you a ride when its raining and you just smile and they say "nevermind"
    Both so true!

Sometimes I have to suppress a surge of irritation when yet another person says "But what will you do when it rains/snows?" Although I want to say, "What do you think?! I've ridden every single day for the last six months," my polite stock answer has become "Put on more clothes."
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

Never give up. Never surrender.

You are driving your car in the bike lane! Yikes!!! (I hate to admit I did that once.)
    Tis better to wear out than to rust out....

You smile to yourself EVERY time the meter reader goes by and think, " HA!! Aren't gonna get ME, Honey!"

You glide past the one block construction on your way to work, either on the sidewalk, or in the alley. And think of the cars, having to follow the designated detour.

You take the long route home. And de-stress completely. Pure Joy.

Annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Your boss sees you drive in one morning and asks "Hey, when did you get the car?" and you reply "3 years ago". Yes, this was an actual conversation.

You have no idea what anyone drives, but you know the model and purchase place of anyone else in town who commutes by bike.

You spend <$20 on gas per month. Just had to bring the gas thing up again.

You have answered the question "How many miles to the gallon do you get?", more than 10 times in a single week. (And each person who asks thinks they are original and funny).

Your college son looks at you and says "I'm going to get a bike to ride around town", and you get all excited, immediately start sizing him up, and coming up with funds and brands in your head. Then he laughs and says "gotcha mom!"
    Last edited by uforgot; 08-23-2007 at 05:10 PM.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

...on days you don't ride, you go through withdrawal symptoms - irritability, inability to concentrate, difficulty in thinking of anything except your next trip...

...you go through almost as much Woolite as you do regular detergent.

...you dread your upcoming vacation just a bit, because you know you're going to miss your commute terribly. How sick is that?

Quote Originally Posted by RoseC View Post
    ...you dread your upcoming vacation just a bit, because you know you're going to miss your commute terribly. How sick is that?
    Do what I do, take the bike with you. And pester everyone about rides. bikerHen

Yeah, that is a bit sick! But it's a healthy sickness.

Unfortunately, I'm flying clear across country, and there's no simple way that I can find to transport my bike without a lot of extra cost and hassle. *snif* I'll probably borrow / rent a bike while I'm there, and I'll do *some* riding with my sister, but not the mileage I've gotten used to. And I really wish it was feasible to bring my beloved Volpe!

more commuter isms...

...you are more embarrassed by the grease spot on your inner right calf that no one can see than the fact you're wearing your red sidi's because you forgot to bring "work" shoes...

...getting dressed four times in a day seems completely normal...

...getting a bath in a sink is just as easy as in a tub...

...you have a closet just for your biking clothes...

...you have two racks to store your bikes and you wish they made car racks cause you would rather park the bikes and store the car...

...you buy a coffee thermos based on its ability to fit in your bottle cage...

...you buy a coffee thermos based on its ability to fit in your bottle cage

I do this and didn't even realize it!
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

- you have a bad experience in the car and think "that does it - I'm taking the bike to work!

I get to use a good stretch of bike path on the commute. Granted it's after a few blocks of city traffic, but the city traffic is more time-consuming than scary. The drive, though - twice in less than a month, at the same intersection, I've had near misses by cars nearly blowing their red light - their car heading towards my driver's door, tires screeching, and the driver yapping on a **** cell phone. I hate cell phone drivers!

OK, so the bike isn't really safer - it's strange to actually feel like it is. The route sure is nicer. Too bad I can't drive that route when I have to drive.

Deb

more from a newbie...

- when you're away from your desk, your co-workers look for your helmet to see if you're working today
    (Our hours, though full-time, are irregular.)

- you have a working clothesline discreetly tucked away out of sight under your desk

- you are on "wave-and-smile" terms with all the school crossing guards on your route!