Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: spin question

To disable ads, please log-in.

WordNet - Cite This Source
    generic

adjective
    1. relating to or common to or descriptive of all members of a genus; "the generic name"
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Yes, but according to trademark law, neither Kleenex nor Xerox have committed "genericide," as opposed to Thermos, for example. Technically, the generic terms remain "photocopier" and "facial tissue."

Spinning introduced me to cycling. I know it's been around for a long time, but just took it up about 3 years ago and loved it. The energy and camaraderie is fantastic and it helps if you have a motivating instructor. Between a couple of instructors and new friends I've made at class, I now know a bunch of people who ride.

I'm new to riding a "real" bike, but I find much of what's taught in a good spin class is transferable to the road, especially if taught by someone who also rides. The muscles and many of the techniques used are comparable.

Now, getting used to riding a bike that actually moves, that takes practice!

Quote Originally Posted by AmyO View Post
    Spinning introduced me to cycling. I know it's been around for a long time, but just took it up about 3 years ago and loved it. The energy and camaraderie is fantastic and it helps if you have a motivating instructor. Between a couple of instructors and new friends I've made at class, I now know a bunch of people who ride.

I'm new to riding a "real" bike, but I find much of what's taught in a good spin class is transferable to the road, especially if taught by someone who also rides. The muscles and many of the techniques used are comparable.

Now, getting used to riding a bike that actually moves, that takes practice!
    I go to spin (or in my gym it's 24Cycle) class in the winter. I think it's an excellent way to get in shape or keep in shape for the bike! I try to set up my seat and handlebars to emulate my bike, I know the instructors want the bars a bit higher but the cyclists and tri people lower them a bit. You can always tell the tri people because they go into aero position during sprints I also think there are things you can do in class that you wouldn't do on the road...ie push yourself to your absolute limit. In real life on a moving bike, you'd have to worry about things like making it home if you got too worn out.

I think spin bikes are a good chance to get used to clipless pedals also. I know in my gym they use SPD compatible pedals.

What do you wear to spin in????
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

Quote Originally Posted by teigyr View Post
    I go to spin (or in my gym it's 24Cycle) class in the winter. I think it's an excellent way to get in shape or keep in shape for the bike! I try to set up my seat and handlebars to emulate my bike, I know the instructors want the bars a bit higher but the cyclists and tri people lower them a bit. You can always tell the tri people because they go into aero position during sprints I also think there are things you can do in class that you wouldn't do on the road...ie push yourself to your absolute limit. In real life on a moving bike, you'd have to worry about things like making it home if you got too worn out.

I think spin bikes are a good chance to get used to clipless pedals also. I know in my gym they use SPD compatible pedals.
    Agree, in spin class you can push yourself pretty hard. I went to spin class last night for the first time in months (sigh, goodbye fair summer eves...). There was a newbie in the class and after she was done she expressed how much harder it was than she thought it would be. I think a lot of people assume you go and mindlessly pedal for an hour (like sitting on a exer-bike while reading, instead you listen to music). Nooope.

Of course, you could take it easy too and should if one ever feels too taxed or has an injury etc. But there are no stop signs, no cars to slow down for, no pretty fields to look at, and any number of other things that may distract me on the bike. I focus on the music, the instructor, and making the most of the hour that I have to do the class so I tend to push pretty hard.

@Surgtech, wear what you feel comfortable with. Personally, I wear cycling shorts and clipless shoes, with usually a mesh tech type workout shirt. Some folks even wear cycling shirts, others wear regular shorts and t-shirts with running shoes. I find that the spin bike seats are even less comfortable than a road saddle so cycling shorts it is, and I no longer like cotton if any perspiration is involved. I also wear a heart rate monitor. Most people in my classes also bring small towels to put over the bars to mop up sweat as needed.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by surgtech1956 View Post
    What do you wear to spin in????
    and bring lots of water or sports drink. We sweat alot and it's important to stay hydrated. Drink a bottle after the class, too (and eat something). It's an intense workout.

I wear worn out (or less padded) cycling shorts. The saddles aren't comfortable at all but all the padding in the world won't help that. I also wear a sports bra and t-shirt. I use my HRM too...along with several people in the spin class.

One of the instructors at my gym is really great and she will push you if you're not feeling too motivated. She also realizes (for the people who are training for something) when we're fatigued or wanting to scale back a bit and she looks the other way.

Oh also I got some cheaper road bike shoes and put SPD cleats on them. You can wear tennis/workout shoes and many people do but it hurts my feet because the soles feel "floppy".

It IS amazing in how difficult it is. One of the instructors remarked that a good spin (or cycle) class can burn more calories than any other class they offered. What's great fun is when the DH/BF's come in and think it's a "fun class that the little woman takes". I've seen some of them walk out in the middle and not come back

Yeah, on a hard intervals day, I can burn 700 calories an hour easy. Sometimes I need at least 2 bottles of water and a gel to get me pushing hard until the end (in a 75 min class or 2 back to back classes--those 50 min classes are for wussy...i'm not even warmed up yet).

Quote Originally Posted by teigyr View Post
    I wear worn out (or less padded) cycling shorts. The saddles aren't comfortable at all but all the padding in the world won't help that.
    True, teigyr, I wear my least padded ones for classes, but cycling shorts still. I don't need a lot of padding, maybe it's more to prevent the sliding that happens when I've worn regular gym shorts!

I did spinning classes for several years and absolutely loved them. I had to stop due to a back injury. I recently bought a LeMond spin bike and have been doing some spinervals. They are a good work out but not as much fun as going to the classes if you have a good instructor.

The YMCA in the town where I work has 'spin classes'. My work schedule is going to change to 9a-5p and there is a spin class at 7:30a 2 days a week that will work. I wish it was 3 days a week. I'm going to try a 'drop in' class before I sign up for a membership. I guess 2 days a week is better than nothing. Unfortunately, the cold temps are fast approaching here in Michigan.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

Quote Originally Posted by aicabsolut View Post
    Yeah, on a hard intervals day, I can burn 700 calories an hour easy. Sometimes I need at least 2 bottles of water and a gel to get me pushing hard until the end (in a 75 min class or 2 back to back classes--those 50 min classes are for wussy...i'm not even warmed up yet).
    This "wussy" enjoys the 50 minute spinning classes. It's great to keep your cardio going in the colder months, and just as others here have said, it's also about the comaraderie and cohesiveness of the class. Also as stated, it definitely is important to have a knowledgeable and motivating instructor.
    The Journey is the Reward.

I'm another 50 minute spin wussy. The way I see it is I can integrate it into other workouts; on spin days I will also swim, run, or do weights. By taking two spin classes, I am losing something. When an instructor wants me to sprint or go to a high exertion level, I can't keep that up for two classes. I work at that moment in time at the highest exertion level I can. For multi-hour training, I work at a different level.

I know sometimes there are 90 minute classes which would be fun. One class designed for the whole 90 minutes (or 120) I would do. The class would be designed for that length of time instead of going through two warm-ups and two back to back identical workouts. If that makes sense

positions

Please help,
    I have been spinning for the last two years. I joined a new gym (the YMCA) and the teacher has us do position 3 seated! You NEVER do position 3 seated. The first time I stood up, but she told me to sit, now evey class since then she picks on me, to move my hands up to the very end (in position 3 seated, I am only 5'3)
    How do I let this teacher know that you don't do position 3 seated. She can't be a certified instructor.
    Help.....thank you