Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Sometimes I do dumb things.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Today I decided I was going to make it up the big bad hill one way or the other. Over the past couple weeks, I've seen big improvements in my riding, but this one hill has continued to beat me. I think it hates me. Generally, I stop about 3/4 of the way up and cry a little. Today, I just put my head down and went for it (I figured I would just do my crying on the bike). I ran out of gears almost immediately, but my speed was a little higher than normal. My cadence was pretty low. It felt really, really hard but kept going and I made it.

Only after I got to the end did I notice that I never switched to the smallest front ring. I was so intent on looking at my back rings that I missed the fact that I never shifted in the front. Yet another lesson learned the hard way. Oops. But I beat that stupid hill! And, I can't wait to try it again next week.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    The lesson? Yeah...if you can tackle that hill successfully in your not-lowest gear, next time you try it, even in a lower gear, it'll be easy-peasy.
    Yeah...I'd say you whupped that hill big time! Yay!!!!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Way to go! That one will never ever beat you again (or make you cry).

Oh, and ummm, er, well maybe I've done that twice on the same hill this summer. The first time, my DH warned me to be ready for a short, really steep hill, and to be going as fast as I could when I got to it. By the time I realized I was to the start, I was afraid I'd drop my chain - I did manage to gut it out (DH was so amazed ). The second time, I could have sworn I was in the small ring. I even remember shifting .

It happens to everybody. You rock!

Way to go!!! I'm so proud for you!! I struggle with hills to, so I feel your pain when you feel beat, and your joy when you beat the hill!!!
    Donna

Sometimes I do dumb things too...

but theres nothing dumb about what you did!
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

ALY: 1
    HILL: 0

Keep up the good work!
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress

Yay!!!!!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

You did it

(oh, and hills don't hate you. they love you and want to be very *close* to you so you can fall down them... takes lots of practice to avoid their clutches)

Yay!!!!!!! Doesn't it feel great!

One thing I have found that helps me when I am trying to get up a big hill and find I'k running out of steam, is ....and don't laugh at me... I have a song/chant that I use.

In the movie Finding Nemo, Dori the fish is always swimming around singing "just keep swimming, just keep swimming" It has a catchy little beat to it. Well, when I start struggling up the hill I start singing to myself "just keep pedaling, just keep pedaling"

I know it sounds really silly but it really helps me out!!

Thank you all for the encouragement. I'll have to watch "Finding Nemo" again soon- your song suggestion sounds much more positive than what I usually mutter to myself when I'm going up. I just can't wait for the day when I start wondering why I ever thought that little hill was a tough one!

Aly, in your picture there, I can tell one dog is a lab, is the other an Aussie by chance??? It looks like it but I wasn't sure. I am a total sucker for Aussie's.

It sure is. My boyfriend and I have a chihuahua and a rottweiler, and we share custody of Oliver the Aussie (his ex-girlfriend's dog). He's a hoot. Eventually, I think we may end up with an Aussie puppy of our own. Everyone who knows an Aussie loves an Aussie. I seriously doubt that anyone has ever spent time with an Australian Shepherd and not turned into a huge fan. They are such smart and beautiful dogs. This picture was taken shortly after his summer shave.

The only reason we wouldn't end up with another Aussie of our own is that I'm a huge believer in rescuing and there aren't many Aussies out there to rescue. There are lots of Rotties though and I think they may be one of the most loving, wonderful breeds. And, they're almost as smart as Aussies!

Sorry to go off topic, but I take any chance to talk about my puppies!

It's funny, people always think Jane is a lab. We've asked several vets and they all say she's full Rottie.

Quote Originally Posted by aly View Post
    It's funny, people always think Jane is a lab. We've asked several vets and they all say she's full Rottie.

Wow! A dog named after me!!
    "When I'm on my bike I forget about things like age. I just have fun." Kathy Sessler

2006 Independent Fabrication Custom Ti Crown Jewel (Road, though she has been known to go just about anywhere)/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by aly View Post
    ...your song suggestion sounds much more positive than what I usually mutter to myself when I'm going up...
    LOL (I'm pretty sure I know the words to that muttering....)

Congratulations Aly. At least now the intimidation factor is gone since you know you can do it.
    Pam

"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it." ~~ Moliere